Lug nut question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
No always, there are metrics that are close to sae. You can see when they start getting rounded which is often never.
I prefer to completely avoid the rounding scenario. I'm risk averse. Once you start sliding down that hill , you are in uncharted territory. I actually got my micrometer and calculator out to figure out what was going on with my nuts and sockets. Carry a breaker bar and the best socket for the job in my Expy. Slam Dunk.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I prefer to completely avoid the rounding scenario. I'm risk averse. Once you start sliding down that hill , you are in uncharted territory. I actually got my micrometer and calculator out to figure out what was going on with my nuts and sockets. Carry a breaker bar and the best socket for the job in my Expy. Slam Dunk.
But one size doesn't fit all with him and you don't remove them every day. My socket is a little too big and has no effect on the lugnuts. NONE!

Plati

Reaction score
But one size doesn't fit all with him and you don't remove them every day. My socket is a little too big and has no effect on the lugnuts. NONE!
Sounds like a personal problem !

LOL, just kidding. To each his own.

FeO2

Reaction score
I had Costco install Michelin Defenders onmy Expy.

The Techs always complained about the lugnuts being swollen when I had rotation done...

So, one time I decided to rotate the tires my self using my 1/2" Impact and 6 pt deepwell impact socket...

I had to fight every lugnut (removal from socket) and I was convinced.

Any hoo, the next time I had Costco do the rotation the tech said they had new stainless lugnuts for
Fords with "swollen" lugnuts.

I said sure, use the new lugnuts.

They haven't swollen so far but they are showing signs of rust

3tonsoffun

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had Costco install Michelin Defenders onmy Expy.

The Techs always complained about the lugnuts being swollen when I had rotation done...

So, one time I decided to rotate the tires my self using my 1/2" Impact and 6 pt deepwell impact socket...

I had to fight every lugnut (removal from socket) and I was convinced.

Any hoo, the next time I had Costco do the rotation the tech said they had new stainless lugnuts for
Fords with "swollen" lugnuts.

I said sure, use the new lugnuts.

They haven't swollen so far but they are showing signs of rust
They aren’t stainless steel then if they are rusting and if they are, it’s some shittttttyy quality

aagitch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had put some Dorman 1 piece nuts on my 17 several months ago and am very pleased with them. No more swelling problems and zero rust.

SEPTIC PROFESSOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you can't afford 24 oem lug nuts, you certainly can't afford an Expedition. Installing a different size is
blatant stupidity. The stupid pandering chatter goes on and on...