Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are replacing the plugs, might as well do the coils at the same time. Use OEM coils. I think the coils should be replaced at 100k anyway. Mine started going bad one by one between 80k and 90k, but it is an older vehicle.

OP
OP
D

discguy77

Reaction score
Another thing to mention is a jlt catch can. I get tons of oil in mine. I check it every 3k.
I did a little bit of googling as well as used the forum search feature to learn abou the catch can. What is the purpose of installing one of these, and how is it intended to help?

OP
OP
D

discguy77

Reaction score
If you are replacing the plugs, might as well do the coils at the same time. Use OEM coils. I think the coils should be replaced at 100k anyway. Mine started going bad one by one between 80k and 90k, but it is an older vehicle.
Would the symptoms of a bad coild be identical to an aging or failing spark plug?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would the symptoms of a bad coild be identical to an aging or failing spark plug?
Misfire code. Then you check plug gaps and swap coils between cylinders to find the cause. My coils are still going at 150k. Like the plugs, I don't think proactive replacement is needed unless there's an issue. Lifespan will vary so much based on driving conditions. It's not like fluids where you might wreck something if you're not on top of it.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did a little bit of googling as well as used the forum search feature to learn abou the catch can. What is the purpose of installing one of these, and how is it intended to help?
It catches oil that is being sent to the intake via the pcv system.

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would the symptoms of a bad coild be identical to an aging or failing spark plug? But the more likely cause is the coil. Or it could be a bad injector.
The symptoms were a flashing check engine light, so yes. An OBD II diagnostic scanner will pin point which cylinder(s) is misfiring. You can get a fairly decent OBD II diagnostic tool for around $100. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Misfire code. Then you check plug gaps and swap coils between cylinders to find the cause. My coils are still going at 150k. Like the plugs, I don't think proactive replacement is needed unless there's an issue. Lifespan will vary so much based on driving conditions. It's not like fluids where you might wreck something if you're not on top of it.
But the coils go bad without any advance notice at the most inconvenient time. Well, I guess there is no convenient time.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But the coils go bad without any advance notice at the most inconvenient time. Well, I guess there is no convenient time.
Honestly, I see far more issues with plugs mentioned, frequently sourced to the the plug gaps opening up. I see comparatively fewer complaints about the coils. And when there is an issue, it's usually intermittent, or reproducible under certain circumstances, like high load. I've never seen anyone say a plug or coil failed and rendered the vehicle undriveable. The failure is usually progressive and generates misfire codes. Plus, there's six coils and plugs so it can get pricey to replace them all. But knowing the most common source of certain fails is helpful in resolving an issue if it does arise.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No check engine light, no need to change coils.
Coils are not a maintenance item.

While you are changing spark plugs if the coil boots are ripped, torn or deteriorating you can replace just the boots.

OP
OP
D

discguy77

Reaction score
So I went ahead and ordered plugs and boots and I have them standing by. I just took the vehicle out for a ride yesterday and it's running smooth as butter, so I'm gonn wait to change them until I expierence some sign of wear or age on the current plugs. Coils were $58 each for motorcraft, so I'm going to wait for a code to think about that replacement.