My 2000 5.4l Eddie Bauer 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Living up to its namesake a little while handling the duties of family camping mobile. Had to take an easy trail to get to the campsite. Crossed a stream 5 times, some suspension twisting berms, steep climbs. Packed in 4 people, 2 dogs and 2 nights worth of stuff.

8FCA17B2-6D50-412C-B21C-587482CCF510.jpg

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last time I was in co, I got shut down on the mountains on i76 eastbound west of denver. Nice place otherwise!

Also. That wax looks fantastic. I need to get the time to wax mine but I stay on the road too much. Maybe I can just wash my semi and feel better

cman1120

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking good. That's one thing I need to do one of these days soon is take the expy camping.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Doing the transmission fluid now. Last night I drained the pan (I was over the moon when I saw a drain plug in the bottom of the 4r100!!!). I got a little over 4 qts from the pan alone. Then I drained the torque converter. I haven't measured that yet but I suspect it to be about 7 qts. I think I might try shifting through the gears (engine not running) to see if I can find some more fluid. Then I'll remove the pan and replace the filter.

The fluid did not smell burnt (perhaps I don't know what burnt Mercon smells like) but it was not pink anymore. It is sort of a greyish color. I had been noticing my trans temp (Scangauge) reading as high as 223 lately (coolant temp as high as 206).

I also ordered a Hayden transmission cooler to replace the factory external cooler. I have one on my Explorer and it seems to work well. The Hayden is probably about 2 to 3 times as large as the factory. I'll post pics.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Doing the transmission fluid now. Last night I drained the pan (I was over the moon when I saw a drain plug in the bottom of the 4r100!!!). I got a little over 4 qts from the pan alone. Then I drained the torque converter. I haven't measured that yet but I suspect it to be about 7 qts. I think I might try shifting through the gears (engine not running) to see if I can find some more fluid. Then I'll remove the pan and replace the filter.

The fluid did not smell burnt (perhaps I don't know what burnt Mercon smells like) but it was not pink anymore. It is sort of a greyish color. I had been noticing my trans temp (Scangauge) reading as high as 223 lately (coolant temp as high as 206).

I also ordered a Hayden transmission cooler to replace the factory external cooler. I have one on my Explorer and it seems to work well. The Hayden is probably about 2 to 3 times as large as the factory. I'll post pics.

I too have replaced my factory cooler with the Hayden, I also have my trans output line fed to a remote filter assembly with a temp sensor built in wired to my auxiliary dash gage, then into the cooler, then to the rad, then back to the trans. While towing 7000lbs up a long pass at 55pmh in 2nd and 93-95* outside I never got above 200* trans temp on the output line. Very much like my setup.

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Please write up your hayden cooler, I was considering putting one in. are they all universal parts, and if so which one did either of yall use?

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't done the Hayden yet but I finished up the fluid change.

I didn't measure what came out all that well but I estimate it to be about 12 qts (I filled several containers that had a little fluid in it already). I was surprised at how easy the pan came off- once all the bolts were out gravity dropped it. I was expecting to have to pry or pop it loose somehow.

I didn't check the fluid level before I drained it. After I added the estimated 12 qts I drained out, I checked the fluid and didn't see any so I added more. I figured I had at least as much as I had before so I drove to dinner and back to get the transmission nice and warmed up. Still didn't see any fluid so I added another qt and got it on the dipstick. Added 1/2 qt and got it into the low end of the "hot" part of the dipstick. I figured since the trans temp was only around 142 (ScanGauge) it was probably pretty good.

So estimated 12 qts drained. Refilled close to 15 qts. Something's not right.