My 2000 5.4l Eddie Bauer 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Was probably low. Keep checking it but you could be slightly askew in your removal estimate? If I remember correctly the teams dry takes almost 18 or 19 quarts so 15 seems right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I could have been off on my estimate.

Drove home from Elitch's (local amusement park) with the air temp in the mid to upper 80s. AC on and highway speeds. I watched the trans temp climb to just over 200. I installed the Hayden cooler shortly after using the method you suggested Mediamonkey- just unscrew the factory hardlines, push the fittings down and put the rubber hose on over. The hose supplied with the Hayden kit didn't want to go over the hardline flare, but with enough finese, brute and cussing it goes on. I secured the cooler via some aluminum strap and various fasteners from my collection. I didn't take pics because I did it all without removing the grill or bumper- just the top shroud that closes out the radiator. Sort of felt like I was assembling a ship in a bottle, but I got it done.

Also reconnected the rubber mat that sits behind the bumper and "scoops" the air toward the radiator- it had been just hanging straight down.

And painted the front skid plate with some bedliner just cuz.

Pressure washed the AC condenser and radiator fins really well. With that top shroud off I could see some gunk built up between them. Lots of black stuff ran down the driveway. Must have cleaned something off.

Went to the store as my test drive and took the long way round. The trans temp never got above 169. But I was driving with the window down. I've had the AC on every other time the trans temp has been high. Tomorrow I'm headed up into the mountains so that will be a good test for it.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Took it to Maaco to get an estimate for the hail damage. but because it was late in the day, I didn't get a written estimate. Instead he guesstimated that I had around $3500-$4000 worth of damage. I bought it for $4500 so it could be totaled. But that's just based on his guesstimate.

Either way I was looking to keep the cash and do what I could on my own to fix it (or at least lessen the visual impact). Dry ice????

I've got an appointment next week with another shop. Once I know what they say I'll have a better idea if it is going to be totaled or not.

cman1120

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ouch. That is brutal. I don't think they take the damage and put it against the $$$ you paid, but rather the $$$ value of the truck bluebook. But I might be wrong, I'm not an insurance adjuster. Either way, keep us informed and good luck. I'm not too sure about what could make the dents come out, I've heard dry ice and taking a small ball peen hammer to get some of the larger dents out. Never tried it myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hail is the Colorado Hug.

I live in the alley here in town, I have a new roof from a few years back. There are multiple hail lots too.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got an estimate today from a body shop: $5918.

Holy cow! The damage really doesn't look that bad.

So I'll see what insurance says.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ordered some Rancho shocks today. The shocks on it now look old and rusty- probably been on there way too long. The ride feels floaty at times too. These will be my 3rd set of Ranchos installed (1 set on 2 different Explorers) and have liked them.

While driving to Leadville this weekend, the brakes were pulsing pretty good coming down off Eisenhower Tunnel. While I'm doing shocks, I'll probably get the front rotors turned or replaced.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got an estimate today from a body shop: $5918.

Holy cow! The damage really doesn't look that bad.

So I'll see what insurance says.

Well insurance agreed to total it out. But in CO, totaled out from hail damage doesn't mean a salvaged title. I'll see what I can do about lessening the visual impact on the hood with some DIY tricks. The rest of the damage is on the roof. And even at 6'1", it's higher than I can see so I'm not worried about that stuff.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After looking at the reviews for the Fel-Pro valve cover gaskets available from Advance Auto, it appears that many people find that they don't fit. To avoid that hassle, I went to my local Ford dealer and got the OEM parts. I spent about twice as much (roughly $95) for the pair over the Fel-Pro, but these should fit the first time. I made the parts guy verify my VIN worked for these.

Plan is to tackle is tomorrow- possibly tonight.