Navi Manual Mode?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Please God tell me there is a way for my truck to not think it's smarter than I am. I'm already pissed I can't have sport mode in 2wd. Now I can't have manual mode at all?? I really hope there is a way to add this in forscan and it won't require a tune. From what I can tell the only way to keep the trans in a gear if my choosing is to constantly stab the throttle like a crazy person.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Please God tell me there is a way for my truck to not think it's smarter than I am. I'm already pissed I can't have sport mode in 2wd. Now I can't have manual mode at all?? I really hope there is a way to add this in forscan and it won't require a tune. From what I can tell the only way to keep the trans in a gear if my choosing is to constantly stab the throttle like a crazy person.

Not sure what you’re asking? My navigator has a manual mode that is engaged by using the paddles behind the steering wheel. Is that what you’re asking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure what you’re asking? My navigator has a manual mode that is engaged by using the paddles behind the steering wheel. Is that what you’re asking about?

That is only temporary from my understanding. That is how my ST is and my Edge before that. Hit the paddle, and it lets you select up or down, but after a short period of time, it will revert back to normal.

In my new Explorer and the Expedition, there is a M in the center of the dial. It will hold the gear you select within reason. Redline, I am pretty sure it will shift. It also won't let you select a gear that will put you to low or above redline in RPM's.

OP
OP
AKentPhoto

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@carymccarr
Loki nailed it. It treats the paddles as a temp overridde for only a few seconds unless you modulate the throttle heavily. That is perfectly acceptable in normal/comfort mode (even though for us that is the only way to get 2wd). But totally unacceptable for Sport/"excite". Why bother putting in paddles if they are practically useless?? Precision driving is virtually impossible because it's always upshifting to a more casual gear... Then you go to floor it and the power isn't there and it's down shifting and so am I then it gets confused. Total crapshow... It's going to take some getting used to for sure...

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What sort of driving are you doing when this isn’t working out? I roll on the throttle and it does what I want. I stomp it, it does what I want. So far it does what I expect in each model will be towing at end of month for first time and I expect it will be the same. I probably push as hard as anybody on here reasonably does, at least with the traffic we have these days.

it’s not a canyon carver etc. so I can’t see how having 75 more hp and maybe a little more weight as not being able to get you in a good gear for what you need.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What sort of driving are you doing when this isn’t working out? I roll on the throttle and it does what I want. I stomp it, it does what I want. So far it does what I expect in each model will be towing at end of month for first time and I expect it will be the same. I probably push as hard as anybody on here reasonably does, at least with the traffic we have these days.

it’s not a canyon carver etc. so I can’t see how having 75 more hp and maybe a little more weight as not being able to get you in a good gear for what you need.

Towing. Haven’t towed with the 20 yet, but on the 17, I used it to hold a gear going down or up a grade. On the Expy, we can do gear lockout too using the +/- next to the selector.

Off-road, want to crawl along nice and slow. I know it isn’t a hard core off roader, but an example.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
AKentPhoto

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Doing whatever the director asks...
I'd like to end up with a light version of what is on our Cayenne. My truck will be more than likely only be used for inserts when the Cayenne is busy, but you have to be ready for anything in my line of work. Creative minds can change in an instant and no is not in the vocabulary.

Day to day the trans is automagic. There is a reason it has taken this long for me to realize the lack of manual mode. Start doing timed and precise actions and it quickly turns to autotragic.

20200604_180546-01.jpeg

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Doing whatever the director asks...
I'd like to end up with a light version of what is on our Cayenne. My truck will be more than likely only be used for inserts when the Cayenne is busy, but you have to be ready for anything in my line of work. Creative minds can change in an instant and no is not in the vocabulary.

Day to day the trans is automagic. There is a reason it has taken this long for me to realize the lack of manual mode. Start doing timed and precise actions and it quickly turns to autotragic.

View attachment 36539

I played with mine today. Stays in manual mode when you’re fussing with it. Seems to go back to drive after a minute or so of inaction on the driers part.

Another limitation...but I gotta say, I’d much prefer being able to have multiple radio sources in my stations list over being able to stay in the wrong gear for an extended period...