Need advice: Keep or sell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I must be missing something here... How do you remove and replace valve covers and then the rockers in less than an hour? Maybe if the motor was pulled already?? I agree with your sentiment either way, just more curious about the 'less than an hour' thing than anything

Just the one rocker and adjuster making the noise. If the rocker bearing is good and strong with no play it's just the lash adjuster lifter anyway and prob just dirt in it but some won't hold pressure so you replace that and keep rocker.
So just one valve cover. That's not too long.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's that country song? Living on Tulsa Time! The average guy or girl troubleshooting a valve tick takes about 2 hours. 1st hour to figure out what's clacking, and another hour to get rocker out, and lifter compressed. Still pretty cool. You don't have to remove a cam. Someone was thinking there. Bet Toyota doesn't have a system that ingenious!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Plati

Reaction score
Moose cant watch or listen to this rendition of that song on his phone (sorry), but it's sweeeet

Joe Befumo

Reaction score
The only issue that sways me toward 'replace' is rust/rot (NE PA). Of course, I am fortunate in having a close friend who is a mechanic, and lets me use his lift (and his skills, as needed), but with what new vehicles, particularly trucks cost these days, there's very little that it won't pay to repair, except, of course, the status of having a brand new truck.

2003 Expy 2V 5.4L engine. Owned from new, regular oil change, in decent shape. 185K miles, done some towing. No major repairs done, except tranny rebuilt a couple years ago. There are a ton of small things to do on it that I've basically lived with. Door handle broke, but I can still open the door with the stub. Steering wheel is covered by walmart 9.99 special cover. Front seats starting to look worn. And the infamous "door ajar" chime needs to be fixed. BTW its a Florida car and no rust or wiring issues.
Only major unknown item is ticking noise from engine that might be worn lash adjusters and/or cam followers, that I've described in another thread.
So, as always, sell or repair is the decision. A new one is out of reach. Retired now and budget conscious. Thinking of doing top end on motor: timing chain, adjusters, cam followers, lash adjusters (not valves or rings). Would need some suspension goodies, I'm sure. Front shocks have been replaced with Monroe full assemblies and I'm pleased with them. Ride is much better, not too soft, not too harsh. Thinking of Monroe's on the rear too. Probably some bushings, bearings, etc.
So, should I undertake a full regime of repairs? Only the engine top end is expensive, probably $2K or thereabouts. Rear shocks probably $400. The rest I can do myself over time. A newer/used truck in good enough shape and low enough miles to bother with the change is probably $20-25K. I can do a lot of repairs for that. I would like to occasionally tow a travel trailer, so need the truck up to spec.
I've heard of expys doing 300K miles or more. Any thoughts anyone? Just looking for experiences, someone who has had to make this decision and opinions.

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
...And the infamous "door ajar" chime needs to be fixed...

I'm in the same boat. 2003 XLT 5.4 w/ 158k. I too had the door ajar issue. I found the replacement sensor for $45 online. The heck with that! I unplugged it from the sensor and put in a 2" jump wire into the plug to fool the computer to think the door is closed all the time. It's a remarkably simple solution and it cost me nothing.

Aside from regular maintenance I had:
  • New exhaust from manifolds back.
  • Bearings. Driver's front replaced twice, the rest have been replaced once. The passenger front is currently going.
  • Differential resealed to solve a leak.
  • Rear brake lines replaced. (typical for NY)
  • Driver's side/front window regulator. Window dropped while driving.
  • Wiper transmission. Passenger wiper stopped working.
  • Rear wiper seized. Wiper motor was engaged even when truck off thus draining battery. Had to take it all apart and re-grease everything. No problems since.
I gave it serious consideration to replacing it, but I like the V8 and how it drives. I test drove a 2017 and it was very different. I came to realize my only real reason for replacing it is fear of breaking down while towing. I have a 2500# boat and a 7000# camper. It's never broken down before. My longest trips are only a couple hundred miles. I am going to wait a few months until my NYS inspection. I'll have it evaluated then by my mechanic. I plan on keeping it around if he thinks there are no major issues.