New 2016 Owner - with plenty of questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pcmpete

Reaction score
Just made the switch form Dodge Durango to a 2016 Expedition XLT.
I have a few upgrade questions.

1. Only has a 4-pin trailer plug, what is the best way to upgrade to 5 or 7 pin?

2. Only got one key, but i want install remote start, will this cause an issue?

3. What is the best option for adding a remote start system?

4. Has Sync 1.1 (i think it what is called, small screen with plenty of button) can this be upgraded to the bigger screen version of Sync?

Update.. i was playing with the MyKey function. Now i am stuck in MyKey mode with 65mph limit. Can i clear/delete this setting with only one key.

Thanks

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm afraid that I can't answer your questions but congrats on the new truck!

A member named Lokiwolf will be your best bet for all things "Sync". It looks like your Mykey is telling you that you have the secondary key...not good...maybe a dealer can help? guys?

jeff

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea I'd think you'd want to get another key just because. Congrats on your new ride.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just made the switch form Dodge Durango to a 2016 Expedition XLT.
I have a few upgrade questions.

1. Only has a 4-pin trailer plug, what is the best way to upgrade to 5 or 7 pin?

2. Only got one key, but i want install remote start, will this cause an issue?

3. What is the best option for adding a remote start system?

4. Has Sync 1.1 (i think it what is called, small screen with plenty of button) can this be upgraded to the bigger screen version of Sync?

Update.. i was playing with the MyKey function. Now i am stuck in MyKey mode with 65mph limit. Can i clear/delete this setting with only one key.

Thanks

Read your vehicle owner's manual for information on MyKey functions.

Neilster1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go to a locksmith first for a key.. they can generally do the programming and won't charge you as much as the dealer will for the same key.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the forum.

On the MyKey since you only have one key that is the master so you should be able to go back into the menu and just turn off the features that you accidentally set.

The 7 pin connector comes with the Heavy Duty tow package. Which includes a transmission cooler and a HD radiator if I remember correctly. If you don't want to do it yourself a dealer can install those items. There are several threads on here about adding the 7 pin connector. I think the biggest issue is you have to run a power wire from the battery for power to one of the pins. I don't remember which one.

I had an aftermarket remote start added to my 05 and they were able to clone the key so that they didn't need to have a key in the vehicle. The remote starter used code generator or something like that. The problem with not buying the key from the dealer is you only get a clone of the key that you have so you can't use it to do any programming of additional keys because the vehicle thinks you only have one key. Since you just bought the truck go back to where you bought it and tell them to get the other key or have them make you another key.

You should be able to change out the Sync 1.1 for the larger Sync 3 but it will probably be expensive unless you can find one in the junk yard and it will still probably be expensive.

OP
OP
pcmpete

pcmpete

Reaction score
Read your vehicle owner's manual for information on MyKey functions.
I wish I read the full manual first. I got in to "just start pushing buttons' mode. :(
Have appointment with dealer tomorrow to create a new admin key and remove any old admin keys that are out there somewhere (piece of mind).
The MyKey system should warn users on screen first IMHO

OP
OP
pcmpete

pcmpete

Reaction score
Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the forum.

On the MyKey since you only have one key that is the master so you should be able to go back into the menu and just turn off the features that you accidentally set.

The 7 pin connector comes with the Heavy Duty tow package. Which includes a transmission cooler and a HD radiator if I remember correctly. If you don't want to do it yourself a dealer can install those items. There are several threads on here about adding the 7 pin connector. I think the biggest issue is you have to run a power wire from the battery for power to one of the pins. I don't remember which one.

I had an aftermarket remote start added to my 05 and they were able to clone the key so that they didn't need to have a key in the vehicle. The remote starter used code generator or something like that. The problem with not buying the key from the dealer is you only get a clone of the key that you have so you can't use it to do any programming of additional keys because the vehicle thinks you only have one key. Since you just bought the truck go back to where you bought it and tell them to get the other key or have them make you another key.

You should be able to change out the Sync 1.1 for the larger Sync 3 but it will probably be expensive unless you can find one in the junk yard and it will still probably be expensive.

I am using to having a 7 pin (on Durango)
I really only 'need' a 5 pin connection for my boat trailer. I have since researched that is any easier conversion. Just connect the fifth pin to the backup lights.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I read the full manual first. I got in to "just start pushing buttons' mode. :(
Have appointment with dealer tomorrow to create a new admin key and remove any old admin keys that are out there somewhere (piece of mind).
The MyKey system should warn users on screen first IMHO
It really sounds like the dealer owes you a 2nd key.

OP
OP
pcmpete

pcmpete

Reaction score
It really sounds like the dealer owes you a 2nd key.
Unfortunately for me it was a non ford dealer, and the sales rep did tell me they only had one key. Well you live and learn.
i will get a new admin key tomorrow and myself out of 'teenage' driving mode.
Then on to the trailer connector. I want/need to take the boat out this weekend.