New to Ford ownweship..dumb question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alienxtx

Reaction score
I just bought a 2011 Expo with the 5.4, I've noticed that it (like my 2010 F150 work truck) has a crappy intake set-up. By this I mean all the little air boxes coming off of the intake tube. I take it that this is suppose to reduce the Noise coming from the intake?

I was wondering if anyone on here has cut those boxes off and then went back with fiberglass etc to fill in the holes?

I figure that this can do nothing but help the air flow getting the the engine.
I was thinking of maybe doing this to mine this weekend and if it works then I will do it to my work truck too.

Thought?

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of effort. I know what you mean about the boxes/baffles, I didn't like it either. Ripped it off, threw it away and put a full K&N CAI on. But by all means, if you want to mess with the plastic and fiberglass, go for it, sounds like an interesting project. I took the easy way out and let the engineers at K&N build mine.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Dib is right, just ditch the stock system for a CAI.

By the way, it's not just Ford that has that kind of stuff. The EPA regs force the manufacturers to do that.

OP
OP
A

Alienxtx

Reaction score
Thoughts are its a ford take it back and get your money back :)
lol Well I am a Toyota fan (help run a toyota only off-road forum) but they dont make anything (with good fuel milage) that fit my family/towing needs. Plus I have over 70k on my work truck (ford) and have had zero problems with it.

Dib is right, just ditch the stock system for a CAI.

By the way, it's not just Ford that has that kind of stuff. The EPA regs force the manufacturers to do that.
I already have the K&N drop in, but dont wanna spend the extra cash for the CAI. I have all the stuf I need fiberglass wise to do it, was just wondering if anyone else had bothred. My 2010 Tacoma I traded in didnt have all that crap on it, but I got a free Volant ram air kit for it, and ended up just putting it on.

OP
OP
A

Alienxtx

Reaction score
Ok I did end up modding the factory tube but it was such a PITA that I went ahead and just ordred some tube and connectors and built my own and put the one I moded on my work truck.

Before
IMAG0034.jpg

After
IMAG0045.jpg