Newbie needing towing advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fotowiild

Reaction score
Hi all. I just got a 2020 XLT Max with the Xtra Heavy Duty tow option and the XLT Off-road package with the intention of towing a travel trailer, and I'm looking for some advice, or some confirmation that I'm making the right decision on the right size trailer to buy. I've been researching and reading different threads on this forum, as well as some RV forums before I pull the trigger on the camper. I don't want to end up with the wrong set-up, something that is difficult or squirrelly to pull and takes the fun out of traveling. I'm coming out of a class c motorhome, so pulling a travel trailer will be new to me, and though I have pulled cargo trailers and boats, I'm pretty sure a camper will be a somewhat different beast.

I am currently looking at two brands of trailers, a Rockwood Mini-lite 2204S https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/rockwood-mini-lite/2204S/5172 or the Gulfstream Geo 23CB
I am leaning toward the Rockwood, simply because it's lighter and shorter and will give me more wiggle room for extra gear I can take along, but the other one--at 3 feet longer-- is attractive for the extra living space. I will be getting a WDH, and the two dealers I've talked to both seem to have very good experience/knowledge and good customer service ratings so I'm confident they know what they're doing as far as setting things up. Most generally, it will just be two of us traveling with 3 large dogs in the Exp with maybe a cooler or a bit of gear that I'm estimating at around 650lbs. Any input you could give me as far as best length, weight, etc. would be most welcome. I am not dead-set on these two trailers, but they're the ones I've found so far that I like the best as far as warranty and quality. Also, if anyone has any tips on good towing mirror extensions, as well as anything else I might need to be a happy camper that a newbie wouldn't think of right off the bat, lol.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Either one is well within the limits of your new Expy. Dual axles on the camper will run very smooth. A good WDH will benefit the setup by reducing any sag. Get one with sway control. This will help in any windy situations or when a big rig passes you.

My personal comfort zone is about 60mph, yours may vary. I grew up towing with big dump trucks hauls trailers with back-hoes or front loaders, so I am not a green tower. However, as you mentioned, pulling a big box behind you is much different than a flat trailer.

Good luck!

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 860lb dry tongue weight on the Gulf Stream is very likely to be a problem. The receiver in your expedition is only rated for 930lbs and the towing guide says you have a max tongue weight of 900lbs. That 860lb dry tongue weight is with no propane and no batteries. Figure 60-80lbs for the propane and another 60lbs for the battery and you're already over on tongue weight before you even put any sheets on the bed.

OP
OP
fotowiild

fotowiild

Reaction score
The 860lb dry tongue weight on the Gulf Stream is very likely to be a problem. The receiver in your expedition is only rated for 930lbs and the towing guide says you have a max tongue weight of 900lbs. That 860lb dry tongue weight is with no propane and no batteries. Figure 60-80lbs for the propane and another 60lbs for the battery and you're already over on tongue weight before you even put any sheets on the bed.

OP
OP
fotowiild

fotowiild

Reaction score
The tongue weight was the main thing that concerned me about the Gulfstream. Thanks for the reply.

LovinPSDs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm in a very similar boat as you, but haven't committed to pulling with our Expedition yet, still have a 1-Ton diesel. Not so much advice on weight limits and such other than you'll be flirting with payload and tonque weight, BUT if you decide to tow people have highly suggested the following.

Upgrade to a Light Truck tire over a flimsy sidewall 44PSI tire
Good WD hitch
Sumo Springs to tighten up the rear suspension
Upgrade shocks to Bilsteins

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You purchased a Max, so I assume you'll have family traveling with you. I suggest staying below 700 lbs tongue weight. These vehicles run out of payload very quickly. Between the trailer weight, the hitch weight, and passengers, you're likely to hit the weight limitations if you go any higher.

OP
OP
fotowiild

fotowiild

Reaction score
Okay, I’m being told there’s a misprint on Gulfstreams website concerning the hitch weight. When I brought it up to the dealer, they immediately said, “that can’t be right, not on that size trailer”, so they called Gulfstream and the company is telling us 596 lbs is the correct hitch weight, not 860. That would then make the GS hitch only 71 lbs more than the Rockwood. Of course, I would still be pulling 27’ vs 24’, And have a dry weight increase of 657 lbs. my question now is, would the extra 3 ft length make that much difference in pulling? Want to not only be safe, but also not feel like the trailer is dragging my Exp around if I have a 10 mph crosswind. Again, cargo weight is not a big issue, two adults under 160 each and 3 100lb dogs lol.

OP
OP
fotowiild

fotowiild

Reaction score