P1636 - Inductive Signature Chip Communication Error How do you fix this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HardTrance9

Reaction score
Hello all,

For the first time since 2008, I got a strange error code...

P1636 - Inductive Signature Chip Communication Error

How do you fix this? Have a ford expedition 2000. Car starting choking after first having what it seemed a leak on the anti coolant recipient. Had to add water as the oil and temp gauge would raise (couldn't take it to a mechanic for a few days but needed to use the truck for work, normal drive). With water it went ok but then the "trembling" (as if losing power + little chokes) thing started and then got this P1636 code. :( No idea what to do. One day the car just turned off while in the highway. Could turn it on again but it was strange (and keeps trembling). Sometimes is now hard to start as when you don't have enough gas. Ignition ok but it took me like 4-5 tries.. first time on this too in the morning.. then all normal again.

Last, today late afternoon while on the highway, got like 2 strong "choking" "pulling" moments and then the truck was "normal"... When you speed up, it is as if this error goes away, but you can tell the engine/truck still feels "nervous"..

Does any one know how can I get rid of this?

I read other places that has to do with the PCM, and maybe reflashing it would work and that only at the Dealer you can do this, etc., but have no idea if this is the only option.

Any help, would be greatly appreciated.

NOTE: I don't live near a dealer (2 hour road). Where I leave is a small town of around 3,000 people. Everything is kind of limited around here. With other used cars I had, I would have to order everything online to get the parts and then explain to the mechanics as I could how more less to fix the problem.

If this error P1636 is more complicated, just let me know to plan as I can on what can I do without the truck for a while or so.

Have a great evening!

Hex

B

bedrck46

The following was copied from the 2000 Ford Service Manual

DTC
P1636 - Inductive Signature Chip Communication Error

Description
Indicates the PCM has lost communication with the Inductive Signature Chip.

Possible Causes
PCM damaged

DTC P1636 Indicates the PCM has lost communication with the Inductive Signature Chip. Replace the PCM. (Refer to Flash Electrically Eraseable Programmable Read Only Memory — Flash EEPROM .)

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bedrck46

The following was copied from the 2000 Ford Service Manual

Flash Electrically Eraseable Programmable Read Only Memory — Flash EEPROM

Description
Flash Electrically Eraseable Programmable Read Only Memory is contained in an Integrated Circuit (IC) internal to the PCM. The EEPROM contains the vehicle strategy including calibration information specific to the vehicle. The IC has the capability to be reprogrammed or reflashed. This is described below by the Flash EEPROM Procedure.

As part of the calibration there is an area referred to as the Vehicle Identification (VID) block. The VID block must be programmed when replacing the PCM and is described under Programming the VID Block for a Replacement PCM. The VID block in an existing PCM can also be tailored to accomodate various hardware changes made to the vehicle since production. This is described under Making Changes to the VID Block and also under the Flash EEPROM Procedure. The VID block contains many items used by the strategy for a variety of functions. Some of these items include the VID number, octane adjust, fuel octane, fuel type, vehicle speed limit, tire size, axle ratio, the presence of speed control, four wheel drive and manual versus non manual shift on the fly. Only items applicable to vehicle hardware and supported by the VID block will be displayed on the scan tool.

When changing items in the VID block, the strategy will place range limits on certain items such as tire and axle ratio. The VID block is also limited to the number of times to be reconfigured. When this limit is reached, the scan tool will display a message indicating the need to reflash the PCM to reset the VID block. This is accomplished by the Flash EEPROM Procedure.

Each of the procedures described below use the Worldwide Diagnostic System. Reprogramming can be performed by the local Ford dealer for any non Ford facility.

Programming the VID Block for a Replacement PCM
A new PCM will contain the latest strategy and calibration level for a particular vehicle. However, the VID block will be blank and in need of programming. There are two procedures available. The first is an automatic data transfer from the old PCM to the new PCM and the second is manual data entry into the new PCM.

Automatic data transfer will be performed if the old PCM is capable of communicating. This is done by the use of the scan tool to retrieve data from the old PCM before removing from the vehicle. The stored data can now be downloaded to the new PCM after replacing. This same process can also be accomplished during the Flash EEPROM Procedure described below.

Manual data entry must be performed if the old module is damaged and not capable of communicating. Remove and replace the old PCM. Contact the "AS BUILT" data center by fax for the data needed to manually update the VID block with the scan tool. Contact the center ONLY if the old PCM cannot be used. The following information will need to be faxed in: dealer name, dealer P &A code, dealer phone number, dealer fax number, technician's name, VIN and module being programmed. The necessary VID block data will then be faxed back. Enter the vehicle data string provided by the "AS BUILT" data center. Refer to the Worldwide Diagnostic System users manual for details.

Making Changes to the VID Block
A PCM which is programmed may require changes to be made to certain VID information to accomodate vehicle hardware. Refer to the Worldwide Diagnostic System users manual for details.

Flash EEPROM Procedure
At certain times, the entire EEPROM will need to be completely reprogrammed. This is due to changes made to a strategy after production or the need to reset the VID block because it has reached its limit. Refer to the Worldwide Diagnostic System users manual for details.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
H

HardTrance9

Reaction score
Thanks a lot bedrck46...

I think the obvious answer is take it to the dealer.

Last question: does anyone has any idea on what the costs could be
for a Ford Expedition 2000 at the dealer:

- Reflash PCM
- Reflash EEPROM
- Get a new PCM and program everything again?

Just to have a rough idea.

Thanks as always!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Call the dealers in your area for pricing. It will be a couple of hundred easy. Had to do it to a Chevy for work and that was just under $400.

You may also consider sending the pcm out to be repaired yourself. There are a few online sources that do it.

OP
OP
H

HardTrance9

Reaction score
Thanks! Those price references help. I am not in the US so this prices help some to have an idea.. Will let you all know if I could solve this with the dealer.

Thanks!