Painting Stock Wheels Black

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

akexpy04

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Living in Alaska, I have 2 sets of wheels, one is summer wheels and the other is winter wheels with stock rims and studded tires. Since i hate the stock winter wheels, I was looking to paint them myself (since its cheaper) and i found this forum on F150online.com.
http://www.f150online.com/forums/wh...-oem-wheels-step-step-w-pics-56k-warning.html

Im gonna give this a shot and post pics up here with it step by step soon. Heres a pic of my stock wheels on from last year...Ugly yeah i know

user38737_pic415_1302769034.jpg

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i want to do this to mine but idk how it'll look with a green truck........

I also am going to get new rims that are wider than stock for my new tires and they'll be black so idk lol

EMendoza93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's not that hard... I painted mine that looked exactly like yours. They came out pretty good. All I did was sand the rim and then spray the paint. They came out good. And lasted through the winter without chipping or anything.

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah go for it, the wheels on my explorer started looking like crap so i painted them with a metallic grey. we'll see how it holds up.

004-73.jpg

Soldier777

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These are my old expy wheels that I put on my F150

006-3.jpg

OP
OP
akexpy04

akexpy04

Full Access Members
Reaction score
9dc453d1.jpg

Nice, now i know how it'll look on it with it all blacked out. Planning on doing it this weekend but Gotta buy the equipment. Any suggestions or helpful hints in doing this? its my first time so i want to make sure i do it right, especially in the prep stage

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
youtube!!! it helped me a lot. all you really need to do is mask off, sand, clean that up with rubbing alcohol or paint thinner, let dry of like a min, primer a few coats, let dry, can sand if you want, paint a few coats then clear. mine old up great to the natural environment, but put a screw driver on them and now i have cracks everywhere. along with some curb damage. o well.