pcm replaced now hydrolocked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

fattywaters

Reaction score
Started to drive it home and now the theft light is flashing again and shut it down again... Back to square one...

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did some searching on the net. Your problem may be one of a few things, bad chip in the key, failing PATS module, loss of communication between PATS and the pcm.

Try another key if you have one.
Get a tuner and turn off the PATS system.

One of the threads stated that the costs at a dealer to replace the module and reprogram the system was over $1200. Tuners are cheaper.

OP
OP
F

fattywaters

Reaction score
now the shop that is fixing it says they think its the ring for the key reader... I'm beginning to loose faith in this shop... it seems like they are now just throwing parts at it hoping it will fix the problem...

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your shop can't troubleshoot the pats issue your quickest and probably least expensive option would be to use a tuner to turn off the pats.
There is another member with a pats "a" issue under the engine section. Tom has chimed in on his custom tune and no pats. Might be worth the reading.

OP
OP
F

fattywaters

Reaction score
I believe it is somewhere in the wiring to the PCM, every time this has happened it has shorted out the PCM to where a new one had to be ordered every time. It is the same issue as it started out being, but I'm getting tired of them trying to just throw parts at it to get it fixed...

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unless your able to troubleshoot the harness yourself the repair is going to be very costly due to the time involved in inspecting the under hood and interior electrical harnesses.
If you decide to pursue fixing it consider sending one or two of the pcm's to a repair facility with the intention of determining what section failed. Once that is known it gives you a place to start looking on the harness.
The other alternative is to check each wire to the pcm for a short to ground or to another wire. I've done similar work on school buses, it's not hard, just very time consuming.
There are two places I'd look before really tearing into it. One is around the pcm since it is in proximity to the battery. The other would be the steering column - just due to movement.

Last edited: