Planning to buy 2020 Expedition

Which vehicle would you choose?

• 2020 Ford Expedition Limited

Votes: 23 85.2%
  • 2021 Chevy Tahoe Premier

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1. I think you also get 360 camera and B&O Stereo, 22" rims and CCD with 302A, so it depends how you spec your Limited.
2. I passed on the 0% (purchased labor day weekend) and will refinance with another lender. I had a personal offer from Ford plus there was $2k from Ford plus another $1250 to use their financing if I remember right. If you can get anywhere near that (plus negotiate at or below invoice) you'll have to decide if 0% would have really been the way to go by comparing total price and interest expense. Might come back, might not. Penfed has a low rate if you use their buying service but I'm not sure how great that is.

Matthew Abrams

Reaction score
If you don't mind, please share the dealer that you bought it from. I am in the DMV area as well.
Thanks,
Sheehy Ford in Springfield. Ask for Whitney Sullivan - he is the General Sales Manager and been selling fords for almost 20 yrs. The experience there was perfect. They brought the truck here to the house for a test drive, all the paperwork was done on line and then they delivered it and took both my trades.

Matthew Abrams

Reaction score
Hey I'm also in the market for a full-size SUV and have sort of narrowed it down to the 2020 Expedition. We have a family of 5 and need a full size SUV to travel to see family, etc. Also like OP was between Expedition and Tahoe but have settled on Expedition because in the 2020 the 3rd row of Expedition seems light years better and 2021 Tahoe is significantly more compared to current rebates on Expedition and its first model year of new Tahoe so unsure.

My questions are for those that own this vehicle:

1. I'm looking at an XLT 2WD that is well equipped (has the 202A I think package- pana roof, 20" rims, captains chairs, cooled seats, etc.). Is it worth paying an additional $5k - $6k more for a Limited. Appears only additional features are the park assist, retractable running boards and real leather vs the Synthetic leather.

2. Time to buy? I've missed 0% for 72 and now for Sept '20 they have nice rebates off MSRP but they're tied to Ford financing at higher rates. I don't really need the vehicle until March (giving my current vehicle to my 15YO then) but was planning to buy before Christmas but I'm curious what anyone thinks Ford is likely to do incentive wise between now and the end of the year. I just can't see the prices going up between now and December with 2021 models coming by then.

I went with 0% as I bundled in every conceivable add on (warranty, prepaid maintenance, detailing, scratch and dent, etc.). The incentives are pretty good though too......

freitz

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am planning to buy a new SUV very soon. I am looking at either the new Chevy Tahoe Premier 4x4 or Expedition Limited. I am leaning toward the Expedition in term of pricing, but my wife is hesitate about getting Ford after bad experience with our current 14 Explorer XLT. I have a few questions that i would really appreciate if you guys/gals can help me out.

1.) Fit and Finish of Expedition? It's terrible on Explorer, uneven panel gaps, trims do not flush, etc...
2.) Ride Compliance, Comfort when fully loaded (6 people with tons of craps)
3.) What are the commons issues with Expedition? Does Waterpump/timing chain inside the engine like the 3.5 on Explorer?
4.) What features are the must have? Problems i should watch out for?

1.) I find it acceptable, better then the Explorer but its not a luxury vehicle
2.) I have the tow package on my XLT, I think the springs are stiffer in the back, I find it rougher then my XLT MAX that doesn't have the package
3.) Both of my 2018 XLT's had the following issues:

-Cam Phasers
XLT Max - First set at 50K solved the problem they also did the timing Chain
XLT - First set at 22K, solved until 40K, Second set at 40K did not solve the problem

-4 Wheel drive actuator - no issues after fixed
XLT Max - 33K Miles front right
XLT - 25K Miles front left

-Pano Moon Roof
XLT Max - Guide track replaced early
XLT - Guide track replaced 3 times, now the sun shade is broken and is not covered under extended warranty

-Handle on passenger side
XLT - loose bad fit

-Steering Wheel Cracked
XLT - Steering Wheel where the airbag is cracked

4.) XLT with the 202A and a tow package seems to be the sweet spot with price and features in my opinion. I typically buy used since this both get a lot of miles on them and they are trucks for work.

Personally - This could be due to buying first model year but I felt like I had more issues with this generation this prior at lower miles and concerned about long term viability. Considering trading in the XLT due to the amount of Cam Phaser issues. XLT MAX seems to have less issues.

Hope this helps.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you don't mind, please share the dealer that you bought it from. I am in the DMV area as well.
Thanks,

I thought Frederick Motor Company treated me great, especially for not being a big chain store. They only do Ford and Subaru. Ted Britt would not budge on anything and was difficult to deal with, IMO.

Located in Frederick, MD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad to see another Viet fellow interesting in the Exp. I bought my 2019 Exp new back in August 2019 and it has been trouble free with 17k miles on odometer. I personally looked between GMC Yukon and Exp and Exp won in every aspect especially third row room. Buy it :)

OP
OP
H

Huy Nguyen

Reaction score
We are sold on getting the Expedition Platinum. But the issue now is finding the combination that we want. Can't find one that matches all 3.
Rapid Red, bench seat, and tow package.

Chuck E

Reaction score
We chose the Limited. I wanted the FX4 and settled for the tow package. We wanted the red also and settled for Star White. I hear they're still shipping vehicles to the dealers.