Planning to buy expedition 2020, any suggestions plz?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shicing

Reaction score
I have a family of 5 (kids age 6/4/0) + mother in law staying with us now. Plan to tow a trailer to go around the States with camping life (but the 6 year old kid need to go online class) from end of Sep to end of Oct for one month. Is it possible to get the wifi signals when camping ?

Tho I have never tried towing A trailer using a full size SUV, i want to buy one suv and one trailer for that month and future camping with family. It should be a good investment for family and kid. Plan to try once over the coming weekend, btw, how to Rent a towing package fill size SUV?

Some suggestions are needed form the expedition gurus here before I purchase:

1) I am looking at Tahoe, Navigator and expedition, considering the towing capacity, thinking expedition with the towing package (9000 lbs) is the best choice , buying the highest tow capacity is the right choice, do u think so?

2) my plan is to buy Coachmen Viking 17bh trailer, which includes 4 beds, do u think this is too small ? Also this is only about 3500lbs, if in this case , 9000 towing is necessary? I think for my future flexibility, switching to the other trailer when upgrade, 9000 is good?

3) specific to Expedition, I am thinking only the big sunroof and the towing capacity (9000) and the leather feature and 4×4 are required , is there anything I need to consider when I choose the options?

4) if you could have a chance to buy ur SUV again, do u think expedition is the right choice? If yes, any features u wanted to add additionally ?

5) when u bought ur expedition, did u have any promotion ? Or how to get a better price when buy new one? I am in WA. Thanks all.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, there are other components of the (Expedition) HD towing pkg. that make it a worthwhile addition: you get 3.73 axle ratios, a factory brake controller, programmable trailer backup assist, and with the 4X4 models a 2-speed transfer case and E-locking rear differential. The sun/moonroof wasn't something I wanted, but it came with the Special Edition package. If you're going to be trekking around with the family, I seriously recommend the Max version of whichever model you decide on. If possible, try to include in your deal swapping out the tires for LT tires. The stock tires are supposed to be adequate for towing, but it can't hurt to go them one better. Finally, if you plan on keeping this vehicle for more than three years/36K miles, I'd also recommend an extended warranty, preferably a Ford ESP, to cover the complex and expensive issues you might be likely to encounter. I figured that it would only take one moonroof repair to pay for the ESP. We also anted up for the second row captains chairs which allow easier access to the third row for children and teens; although it was a costly option.

LyoddChrissmiss

Reaction score
I think you already thought this out pretty good. Hopefully you find the one you like and agree on a price that makes you comfortable.
Good luck.

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can get internet signal wherever there is cell service. Most campgrounds will have (spotty) service. Just add an iPad with internet access to your provider. Usually fairly inexpensive. This keeps you from being tied to the expedition for service.

In hindsite, many would opt out of the panoramic roof. Maybe you would too.

Depending on where you are camping, make sure to get a decent camper. If cold weather camping, get one designed to handle cold weather camping. Get a good sway control. I used EQUALIZER brand and towed a 31’ travel trailer with no issues.

without a doubt get the tow package. There is more that goes into it than an receiver group.

jimbosidecar

Reaction score
Yeah, don't. I have a 2001 and it is absolutely the most trouble prone car I have ever owned and I used to own a lot of old British sports cars. Latest gripe, today the lower control arm on the front driver's side snapped in half. A/C blower motor stopped working a couple week ago. Spent probably 30 hours installing new spark plug, and the list goes on...

Jamaican Cruiser

Reaction score
You might have already figured this out, but with the size of your family, I would get the 2nd-row bench seats. I have a large crew myself and thought it would be better with the captain's chairs. With the range of motion with the bench seating and that each section of the bench moves independently gives more flexibility than you imagine. This is the one choice I would have made differently with my purchase.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, don't. I have a 2001 and it is absolutely the most trouble prone car I have ever owned and I used to own a lot of old British sports cars. Latest gripe, today the lower control arm on the front driver's side snapped in half. A/C blower motor stopped working a couple week ago. Spent probably 30 hours installing new spark plug, and the list goes on...

A 20 year old vehicle that requires maintenance? What the hell? Go on, tell us more. I've been thinking about an ultra reliable 1977 and now you have me concerned....

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bought for under invoice, plus several promotions which brought my price for a Limited Max 302A plus trailer package below 70k. However I had a sizable trade in offer so the rebates made more sense than 0% which likely isn't typical (0% is ending soon if it hasn't already). However if you shop around you should get invoice pricing minus some or most of the holdback (Ford dealers typically get 3% of MSRP for each Expedition they sell). Find a few dealers you're willing to drive to if needed, email them that you're shopping several dealers and once you get one to offer you something in that range shop it to the other dealers. I had a private cash offer that I must have qualified for just by clicking around the Ford site for a week or two, which really helped. X plan can be a great hassle free option as well, since it's reasonably close to invoice and you can add most rebates.

10sne1

Reaction score
Got an 2020 XLT Max, lowest package, yesterday.
$13,000 in rebates, made it affordable for me! Maybe the right time to buy, but limited inventory on 2020. Good luck if your still in the market.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a family of 5 (kids age 6/4/0) + mother in law staying with us now. Plan to tow a trailer to go around the States with camping life (but the 6 year old kid need to go online class) from end of Sep to end of Oct for one month. Is it possible to get the wifi signals when camping ?

Tho I have never tried towing A trailer using a full size SUV, i want to buy one suv and one trailer for that month and future camping with family. It should be a good investment for family and kid. Plan to try once over the coming weekend, btw, how to Rent a towing package fill size SUV?

Some suggestions are needed form the expedition gurus here before I purchase:

1) I am looking at Tahoe, Navigator and expedition, considering the towing capacity, thinking expedition with the towing package (9000 lbs) is the best choice , buying the highest tow capacity is the right choice, do u think so?

2) my plan is to buy Coachmen Viking 17bh trailer, which includes 4 beds, do u think this is too small ? Also this is only about 3500lbs, if in this case , 9000 towing is necessary? I think for my future flexibility, switching to the other trailer when upgrade, 9000 is good?

3) specific to Expedition, I am thinking only the big sunroof and the towing capacity (9000) and the leather feature and 4×4 are required , is there anything I need to consider when I choose the options?

4) if you could have a chance to buy ur SUV again, do u think expedition is the right choice? If yes, any features u wanted to add additionally ?

5) when u bought ur expedition, did u have any promotion ? Or how to get a better price when buy new one? I am in WA. Thanks all.

Campground WiFi is spotty. If you're near a major city, make sure you have tethering on your phone, or a dedicated LTE hotspot. Campground reviews generally comment on the quality of the WiFi, but at the most of the campgrounds I've visited it's bad.

It would likely be difficult to rent an SUV suitably equipped for towing since Ford changed Heavy Duty tow to a separate option. It used to be included on all the higher trim levels. Not sure how the GM rentals are configured.

Expedition Max is the best towing body on frame SUV. You can't beat the Ecoboost for the combination of torque and fuel economy (when not towing). The GM twins aren't bad, but the engines don't perform as well. The 5.3 is much weaker than the 3.5 turbo. The 6.2 is more competitive with the 3.5 turbo, but at higher elevation it's weaker and MPG will be worse. The Ecoboost makes torque down low, so the engine isn't working very hard, even when towing.

Go bigger on the trailer, especially if your mother-in-law is staying. I have a Salem Cruise Lite T282QBXL with a bunk house. It works great because the bunk provides more privacy for kids and companion travelers. Once you select a tow vehicle, perhaps try renting a trailer to see what you're comfortable towing and camping in.

For options, get the Max with Heavy Duty tow. The longer wheelbase is better for towing stability and you'll have more cargo capacity. Be careful on the trim, because the more features you add, the lower the payload.

I have a 2017 EL Limited 4x2. I'm very happy with it, but the newer models have several nice upgrades, including adaptive cruise, 10 speed transmission, second row tilt, and panoramic roof. I'll probably upgrade when the next generation comes out.