1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Popping Noise From Rear A/C Blower '03 Expo

Discussion in '2nd Gen - 2003 - 2006' started by bchampion, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Tdh777

Tdh777 Full Access Members

This is correct. There is another actuator in there that looks almost identical to the blend actuator for hot to cold. It does change vents from top to bottom and it's plastic gears strip. I have this sound also but am to lazy to change the part as it's a pain in the arse. Cheap though.. I believe it's around 57$

2. GAIN-MOB

GAIN-MOB Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yulp... that's for both parts... common prob... easy fix...4 screws each... hardest part is taken the panel off...30 minute job including putting panels back on or less

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

3. jstone5241

jstone5241 Member

It is a switch that needs replacing. Take off cup holder in right rear panel a remove parcel holder too. You will find a light tan switch about 3 inches square. 3 or 4 screws hold it in. Remove and take to O’Reilys or another part store. Ford changed part in middle of year in 2004 and may have other times. It cost $35 or so. Easier than it sounds. Will fix your problem. Good luck!

EliteFord likes this.
  4. JJBovenzi

JJBovenzi New Member

I bought both actuators on eBay for around $15 each shipped. You just need to verify if you have the 'cross' or 'D' style shaft. You'll clear see which one it is when you pull in out.

5. ShotgunEarl

ShotgunEarl New Member

5 years later and this guy saved me. Spent two hours trying to get the cheap Dorman part in (wrong size).

Also this video I found on YouTube helps a lot.

And this is the part at RockAuto

http://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/motorcraft,YH1749,heater+blend+door+actuator,10721

I am sure I will be using this forum more as my 2005 is finally starting to show it's age.

Want3d likes this.
  6. WakeZone

WakeZone Member

After changing both actuators once, my temp actuator started popping again. I said screw this, reached down through the tray access and unplugged it. It stays on cold unless I plan to go up north in the winter, no more popping, everyone happy.

7. DASAGT

DASAGT Member

change out the two rear air blender door actuator

8. Want3d

Want3d Active Member

There is a part on amazon by dorman it is an air defuser or something like that. Look it up on youtube there are quite afew videos on that .

EliteFord likes this.
  9. James W Moore

James W Moore Member

I have an 03 Explorer sport, it is too short for the 3rd row seat options, but I also have an 04 Expedition, that does this NON stop. No one ever rides in my 3rd row and this be easily bypassed?

10. Transporter

Transporter Full Access Members

This is very easily bypassed and if you don't need rear heat can be easily permanently fixed.

Just watch the YouTube Video from the prior posts above. It has all the details on what is causing the noise and how to fix. So after watching it, simply decide if you wish to fix it or permanently remove the bad/broken parts, set the rear controls to Cool, and set the damper in the cool position (just don't ever switch rear controls to heat again).

I totally disabled mine 3 years ago setting it to Cool Only. Then 18 months ago I had coolant leaking into my front and rear floor boards so I had them completely bypass the rear heater because with two over 100 pound dogs in the back, who needs rear heat anyway (have to turn the AC on back there sometimes in late Fall and early Spring).