Popping Noise From Rear A/C Blower '03 Expo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kemp

Reaction score
I haven't had time to look for this yet. This coming weekend I will for sure. Thanks for the good advise about possible cause.
If I find something else I will everybody know.

Thanks,

OP
OP
B

bchampion

Reaction score
Popping/Thumping Sound fm Rear A/C

I'm beginning to think it is a relay/switch for the rear blower. Looking at the maint. manual, to get to that particular relay/switch you have to take off the rear qtr. panel trim. But do do that you have to take off the C & D pillar trim plus the rear trim panel. What a PITA to change a $20 item. Let me know what you find Kemp.

pogiboy69

Reaction score
i was getting the sound also, it was caused by a bad coil under the hood, the noise you are hearing is coming through your sound system. Try turning off your radio and see if you can hear it.

WhiteFX4

Reaction score
Rear A/C Noise

I had this same problem last fall. It turned out to be the rear damper door motor. The damper door changes air flow from the ceiling vents to the floor vents and vice versa. I found the motor to have a broken plastic gear, which prevented the door from completely going to one position or the other. The motor would just keep running and the broken gear was making the ticking noise. I bought the part from the dealer for about $35 and installed it myself.

JohnHammer

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just got my new-to-me 2004 and I'm having the same issue. I'll dig into it this weekend & see what's up, but what WhiteFX4 says sounds correct; that door is obviously not sealing & clanking around in there.

Bajaoutlaw

Reaction score
I just bought the motor for the temp control for the rear air of my '04. 45 minutes to remove the pass. side rear plastic and replace. All is well with the noise and function, $75 later.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool, might have to try that.

Any pointers on how to remove the rear plastic panel?

truk4u

Reaction score
I have the same problem and have unplugged the motor by removing the drink holder tray on top. Can anyone tell be how to get the plastic parts off without breaking anything? Are they just plastic pins or do they have a certain way to be removed.

Thanks,

Tom

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh hey, I saw you left me a PM, but it won't let me read it.

I'll be taking that rear plastic piece off one of these days, and I'll post a write up.