Popping Noise From Rear A/C Blower '03 Expo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, just finished taking about my rear quarter panel, still putting it back together.

Basically, the motor that controls the door that decides which way the air goes (roof or floor) is bad. Well, not the motor, but one of the gears. It's the same exact motor that is used for the temperature blend door, so I'm not surprised that fails, as well.

So, as a temp fix, I "set" it to where the door would remain for roof air only, and disconnected it. I'll be looking for a replacement one at a junkyard or something. You can get one new from rockauto.com for 39, though WhiteFX4 said he got his from the dealer for 35.

I'll post instructions on how to take off the rear quarter panel later, as well as some (crappy) pix. I'm also going to try and see if the motor is accessible by taking out the cup holder. Would probably save a lot of time doing it that way.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the crappy pix.

Rear panel off, two blend door motors circled in red. Picture is flipped, so this was all on the passenger side of the Expy. The top red circle is the door that decides which way the air goes, while the lower one is the air temp blend door.
rearAC2.jpg

Here's the motor with the cover off. The bottom, black gear was the one that had a couple teeth missing.
gear4.jpg

Crappy closeup of the bad gear. It's 2 gears in 1: a bigger, flatter gear, radius of about a pencil eraser, and a smaller, taller gear, with a diameter of a pencil eraser. The smaller gear (the bluish looking blob) is the one with missing teeth)
gear3.jpg

I tried trying accessing the motor though the cup holder hole (left after you take it out) once I put everything back in place, but you can't fit a ratchet in there to take out the holding screws of the motor. The best you could do is disconnect the temp blend door motor, and maybe the air direct motor. So, it seems you really do have to take out the whole rear panel if you want to replace both motors.

Either way, as a temp fix, I took off the cover of the air direct motor, and set it to where the door would be in the roof vent setting, closed it, and left it disconnected. Since it uses a worm gear, the motor doesn't let door move, unless the motor is spinning.

According to rockauto.com, these cars use the same door motor, so I guess if you wanna look around a junk yard for these, you could take the motors out:
FORD--EXPEDITION--(2002 - 2004)
FORD--EXPLORER--(1998 - 2002)
FORD--EXPLORER SPORT--(2001 - 2003)
FORD--EXPLORER SPORT TRAC--(2001 - 2005)
FORD--RANGER--(1998 - 2004)
FORD--RANGER EDGE--2005
FORD--RANGER FX4--(2005 - 2007)
FORD--RANGER SPORT--(2006 - 2007)
FORD--RANGER STX--(2006 - 2007)
FORD--RANGER SUPER--1998
FORD--RANGER XL--(2005 - 2007)
FORD--RANGER XLT--(2005 - 2007)
LINCOLN--NAVIGATOR--(2002 - 2004)
MERCURY--MOUNTAINEER--(1998 - 2002)

If anything, you could try taking the gears out of the motor, and having them as back up, especially since the Expy has 2 of these motors in the rear AC, and they seem prone of failure.

Here are the directions to taking off the rear quarter panel. Should take a couple hours to do the whole thing.

First, you have to remove the C pillar. This is done:
1. Set the seat belt slider thing to it's lower setting.
2. Expose the nut that holds the seat belt, and take it off. I used an 18 mm socket, though I think it's really a 17 mm nut. When putting it back on, this nut requires 30 ft-lbs of torque. Set the belt aside.
3. Above this, there should be a piece of trim in a circle shape. Pop it off, and loosen the bolt. I used a 5/16 socket. It's retained in there, so it won't come out, but you'll know when it's loosened all the way.
4. Carefully pop the whole trim piece off.

Next, you have to take out the D pillar trim piece. This is done:
1. Expose the bolt that holds/guides the top of the 3rd row seat belt. Again, it's behind the little cover that pops off. Use a T50 star bit to take it off. It comes off all the way. When torquing back in, use 30 ft-lbs of torque.
2. Remove the headliner trim piece that is between the rear light and tail gate, or between both D pillars. Just carefully pull down.
3. Carefully remove the D pillar, first by pulling down on the horizontal part, then forward on the vertical part.

Now we get to the good part.
:) This is how you remove the rear quarter trim piece. I did all this with the 3rd row folded down:
1. Remove the rear trim piece that's between the carpet area and the bumper (aka the long trim piece that mostly surrounds the rear latch). Carefully pull up on it.
2. Open the jack access carpeted thing, and remove it. Basically, pull it up about 30 degrees, and pull towards you.
3. Take out the jack, and whatever else you have in the carpet.
4. Remove the 3 black plastic pins that are towards the front of the black carpet thing (assuming you're in the back, facing front towards the motor). Pull them out with pliers. If you want, you can also take out the 2 black screws that hold the latch for the jack assemble access. I used a 5/16 socket.
5. Take out the 2 black screws that hold the black plastic and split carpet (the 2 "flaps" that sit sit behind the 3 row seats) combo. I used a 5/16 socket. Carefully pull up, as it is also retained by clips.
6. Take out the 3rd row seat belt anchor on the floor. It come out with a T50 star bit. When torquing back, use 30 ft-lbs of torque. It'll be attached to a black metal piece that goes into the floor. I guess it's there to stop it from rotating.
7. Remove the pin from this:
rearquarterpanelretainer.gif
I didn't have to since it was broken on mine.
8. Go back to the second row passenger side door, and remove the lower second row seat belt anchor. Lift up the flexible plastic piece and the bolt should be right behind it. I think it uses the same T50 star bolt as the rest, but I can't remember. When torquing it back, use 30 ft-lbs of torque. It makes it easier if you fold the second row seat forward, as if you are exiting the third row seat.
9. Remove scuff plate to the second row door by pulling up. It'll be attached to the black weather stripping so don't be surprised it if also comes up.
10. The final moment is here. Carefully pull on the rear quarter panel towards the center of the vehicle. Disconnect the rear power point plug. It should look like the first picture I posted in the beginning.

To take out the blend door motors, I used a 5/16 socket.

To install everything back, reverse the whole installation.

Hope this helps whoever maybe be having the rear AC clicking sound :)

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Small update. Went to the junkyard and found a couple older Expys they had. All of them had the white blend door motors still in their rear ACs.

Took them out, popped open the motors, and took out the gears. Only cost me a dollar for 4 sets of gears. Still haven't had time to take off the rear section to see if they are the same gears as the 03 blend motors, but they look the same.

Figured I'd let you guys know. Better to spend a dollar, than 40 :)

JB_Pgh

Reaction score
This is a GREAT thread, it's the exact issue I have with my (new to me) 03.

I'm confused about what p/n I'm supposed to get from RockAuto though. And should I replace both motors with the assumption that the gear will likely give out soon on the other?

Thanks!

JB_Pgh

Reaction score

JB_Pgh

Reaction score
FYI, I replaced mine in about 15 minutes and most of that was walking back and forth to the driver seat to turn the key and rear a/c knob. I was making sure that the problematic motor was the top one.

The REALLY good news is that the top (lying flat) motor in the picture above can be replaced by removing only the cupholder and the tray, and both of those come out with a little tug. You can get to everything you need to remove it and replace it. So don't tear the the whole side apart unless you're replacing the lower motor.

I opened it up and the gears were stripped pretty badly.

Last edited:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, weird. I did remove the cupholder...maybe I didn't remove the tray, but I couldn't reach it. Guess I know now :)

Glad you were able to fix it.

JB_Pgh

Reaction score
Hmm, weird. I did remove the cupholder...maybe I didn't remove the tray, but I couldn't reach it. Guess I know now :)

Glad you were able to fix it.

I could only get to it with both removed. And to be honest, my 11 year old daughter was integral in reaching the furthest bolt (tiny hands). :D

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I need to get around to fixing this, I don't think I've had rear air for 3 or 4 years in my expedition now. (Bought new in 03, I just unplugged the motor to stop the clicking). I think one time I got a quote from the dealer to fix it and it was near $300, and I decided to wait until I had time to do it myself.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni