Popping Noise From Rear A/C Blower '03 Expo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Patrick Schultz

Reaction score
The rear a/c blower on my '03 Expo has started to make a popping noise whenever I run the rear a/c. I pulled of the rear tray to get a closer looking and it almost sounds like there is a ball or something that just keeps getting tossed around by the blower. Of course the factory warranty just expired so I'd like to at least give a shot at trying to figure out the problem myself. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks,:shootout:
This is most likely the problem.

Harry

Reaction score
I have the same problem. It's the actuator getting stuck. Try adjusting the AC dials on the center console or on the ceiling

03Expeditiondgaf

Reaction score
You can pull off the trim from the top with the drink holder on it and the ac blend door actuator is almost certainly the culprit. Replacing it is easy and the unit costs around $20 on amazon

cecilbridge

Reaction score
Hi everyone, the popping noise your are hearing is the blend door actuator that has gone bad. What happens is the gear wheel in the blend door wears out on one side and doesn’t fully rotate anymore. When it gets to the flat spot where the gears are gone it pops and give That flapping sound. You’ll need to replace the rear blend door actuator. There are two of them. U may be able to pry out the top tray cover to gain access to the actuator without removing the whole rear cover. Below is an image of it. When you open your old one, you will see the little gear wheel, size of a quarter where the gear teeth has worn off. It’s not a hard job at all. Goodluck

Attachments

• 68DBE813-6BBB-445B-AE5D-A409A3E76EA1.png
    68DBE813-6BBB-445B-AE5D-A409A3E76EA1.png
    231.4 KB · Views: 2

humberto1024

Reaction score
There are two white boxes, these are damper switches one on the side and one on the top under the cup holder and under the top tray. They each have a clip wire going to them. These are the damper switches that open and close hot and cold high and low air. These fail in time. They are not expensive but a little awkward to replace. Use a magnetic that driver don't drop your screws. Really pretty simple. You can run it and feel which one is clicking replace that one first.

bret191

Reaction score
There are 2 servos (electric) 1 for temp and 1 for blend door. This a common problem on all cars, Ebay and amazon has all at all prices. Get a good one OEM!
There are many right ups on this forum too.....

lucky3r

Reaction score
The rear a/c blower on my '03 Expo has started to make a popping noise whenever I run the rear a/c. I pulled of the rear tray to get a closer looking and it almost sounds like there is a ball or something that just keeps getting tossed around by the blower. Of course the factory warranty just expired so I'd like to at least give a shot at trying to figure out the problem myself. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks,:shootout:
I have an 2003 Eddie Bauer that has the clicking rear airconditioning. You may want to check this YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Bh4pN27zI