power folding mirror problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all, this afternoon when I approached the car wash, I went to fold the power mirrors in. Didn't work properly. Pass side folded in, but not drivers side.

Went on through the wash, and tried to figure out what was going on. Messed with it a bit and got the drivers side working fine.

The passenger side does not open. It twitches a bit when I hit the switch but that's it. If I manually open it it will close and bang around like it's synchronizing, but it never does.

So it acts like the motor runs in one direction, but not the other? Except for the little jerk when you first hit the switch.

I've tried a bunch of different combinations of switching and manually moving etc and can't seem to figure it out.

Any help is appreciated.

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, it seems as if my problem is quite rare; no responses.

I messed with it a bunch and did get it into a position where it isn't quite right, but close enough that I can adjust the glass to see out of it.

New mirrors are $500 or so, for oem. Not sure what to think about aftermarket mirrors.....

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure I want a used one with unknown problems.....

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure I want a used one with unknown problems.....

Understandable. I've bought 2 with no issues but it can be a gamble. They are typically coming off a wrecked truck that is being parted out. The good news is they are relatively easy to replace.

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well on a whim, tried the mirrors last night.

Lo and behold, they both work perfectly now. I don't know what happened, but hey, I'll take it.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
probably got some water inside it from the wash that messed with the electronics, it dried out and everything now works, but you might want to try and open the mirror and protect whatever was getting wet, or it will happen again and probably not recover!!

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I very seldom actually use the folding feature, so I'll probably just not fold them.