Power steering reservoir

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't like trans fluid either for power steering nor do I like the labeled PS that is red. I get the clear stuff.

OP
OP
Bain64

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, in case anyone else is curious about what the screen setup looks like inside the reservoir, see below. I suctioned out what I could from the reservoir, and might do that a few more times several days apart and see what the fluid and screen look like at that time.

You can see the return line (no mesh) and feed line (mesh/screen filter) in the pic. I think the black debris is from the feed hose which feels like it's starting to dry rot.

rDZ63QH.jpg

Also, those running clear power steering fluid, how'd you make the switchover from red ATF Mercon? Did you fully flush or just introduce through the reservoir until fluid was clear?

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All my earlier Ford's, 3 muskrats, and 2 stinkin Lincoln's, I never had any real problem with ATF. The morning whines, but that was normal without warmup, all the earlier Fords did that.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

SEPTIC PROFESSOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 03 has close to 250K, zero power steering fluid has been added or replaced since new.
Idiots use transmission fluid in place of power steering fluid. Hint: Do you use power
steering fluid in your transmission ?

OP
OP
Bain64

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 03 has close to 250K, zero power steering fluid has been added or replaced since new.
Idiots use transmission fluid in place of power steering fluid. Hint: Do you use power
steering fluid in your transmission ?

Well I guess I'll break the news to you, but if your power steering system is factory, you have Mercon automatic transmission fluid in your power steering system. That is what Ford fills it with. Model years after 2006(?) went with the updated Mercon V ATF. Both of the links you provided show the fluid is automatic transmission fluid labeled as power steering fluid, as the specs say Mercon V and/or ATF.

blue oval guy

Reaction score
Do not use Mercon V for p/s fluid, only regular Mercon, Ford is very specific about this. Also would not use that generic multi-purpose Dex/Merc fluid. Use the correct Motorcraft fluid. It is very inexpensive.