Power steering reservoir

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bain is correct on his recommendation. Pre 06 use Mercon, post 06 Mercon V. Why does everyone want to keep changing what works so well straight from Ford. The earlier Ford's/Lincolns used Ford Type F for the power steering units. Ford states 1980 and older, but if memory serves my 82 mustang called for the heavier type F.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bain64

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do not use Mercon V for p/s fluid, only regular Mercon, Ford is very specific about this. Also would not use that generic multi-purpose Dex/Merc fluid. Use the correct Motorcraft fluid. It is very inexpensive.
Agreed, for my model year (2003) I would not swap to Mercon V for power steering. However, 2007 and later Expeditions call for Mercon V according to the Ford Owner's Manual.

Further, from all data points I now find, Dex3/Merc are interchangeable. Plus the Valvoline Dex/Merc fluid is fully Mercon licensed/approved.
Data Sheet: https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...2d889bd3/52fde1ce-fabc-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1

For the peace of mind however, your sentiment may be correct in that there is one less variable at play if using the Ford/Motorcraft fluid instead of another formula.. Even still, i'm not convinced that the formulas are different.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably not, but with all the other things that pop up on these SUVs, why add power steering to the list. I grew up driving cars/trucks with huge steering wheels because of no power steering. Nice to not have to work up a sweat parallel parking!

OP
OP
Bain64

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Moose, I turned my first wrench on my Dad's '78 Lincoln Continental 7.5L. I was quite young then, but the steering wheel seemed huge and that thing must've had power steering because I could turn it with my pinky finger.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You think your SUV is scary trying to dodge a car in front of you at 65mph. Try doing it with a 1960's Cadillac or Lincoln with overly easy power steering. On top of that your on a slippery bench seat that's been armor alled. Oh yeah, forgot no seat belt. Fun times.

OP
OP
Bain64

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's some special fluid to still be clear after 15 years and 250,000 miles!

SEPTIC PROFESSOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that's because the vehicle was carefully driven and I didn't ever TAKE IT IN for any maintenance of any kind whatsoever except for one wheel alignment by my mechanic who's been doing alignments for more than four decades. Also, the steering rack has zero seepage. No chance for some moron at jiffy lube or
whereever else most of the members of this forum go to for oil changes to top it off with ATF.