Pulled cluster to install leds and now it won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

Pclaythomas

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. This is sucking pretty badly. It's 33 degrees here in Georgia with huge wind gusts . Looks like I will be calling in to work tomorrow and praying for a miracle.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you know how to make a jumper wire?

Battery Junction Box in engine bay(left side)
Fuse 10 is a 20amp fuse - should have power on both test points. If it does then:

Remove fuel pump relay, jump #30 and #87 with the jumper wire.
Try and start engine.

If it runs you will need to remove the fuse or jumper wire every time you shut off the engine or the battery will be discharged.

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you know how to make a jumper wire?

Battery Junction Box in engine bay(left side)
Fuse 10 is a 20amp fuse - should have power on both test points. If it does then:

Remove fuel pump relay, jump #30 and #87 with the jumper wire.
Try and start engine.

If it runs you will need to remove the fuse or jumper wire every time you shut off the engine or the battery will be discharged.

Also check the 30 relay terminal for 12v when key is on but I think this one is hot all the time.
A lot or probs with Town Cars but not so much trucks with the maxi fuses getting corrosion and heating up and burning the blase of fuse and no power going to the fuel pump relay.

The theft light should be your key to faster diagnosis.
If it is in theft mode it will crank and start for about 1 second the first time. Then it will just crank. Same as if you use a key that is a copy but no chip in the key.
When this happens you will get a fast flashing or the theft light or security or whatever it has.
Get a spray bottle or gas and see if it will stay running if you spray fuel into intake plenum.

The jumper wire, you could even switch it that Stamp said will get you going if the fuel pump is and wiring is good.

You could pull dash connector off the cluster and see it it starts then.
Maybe something got touching one of the security light traces and its messing with it.
Fords are usually decent. I fixed a Plymough Voyagee 1998 van that the theft system went through the dash and the dash had lots of cold solder joints...so when the dash lost connection along with the dash lights and oil light charge light etc not coming on...it would not start.
Bad design.

VoxVeritatis

Reaction score
Have you tried starting in Neutral? Ford trucks are known for the Torx bolts (T-30, IIRC) loosening and even falling out of the shift linkage under the dash. These are accessed from below the column under the dash.

However, if there is an established cause/effect relationship between the timing of your start failure and your cluster work then this probably won't address your no-start issue unless the bolts just happened to finally loosen up enough during that job for the condition to manifest.

Last edited:

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have a 01 Expedition and changed out the stock bulbs for LEDs. I did have to solder a couple as they didn't fit as tightly as they should. Went to put the cluster back in and crank it. Cranked and started then died. Now it just turns over. Any ideas? Thanks ahead of time cause you guys are the BEST!!!
Also, this is my only ride so I gotta figure this out!
This may or may not work. Did you try using a different key?

When you soldered and if it flowed onto another circuit you may have fried the board or shorted out the
PATS Antitheft System. The board works with PATS Antitheft System. If you replace the board or cluster you will need to go to a dealer to marry the board or cluster to the PCM. Before going to dealer try a good locksmith. Ask if they do the PATS Antitheft System Keys. If yes ask if they can do the system reflashing as well. Get quotes from dealer and locksmith. The dealers around here use locksmiths around here then upcharge you. Better yet the locksmith comes to you. While you're at it, if you only have one key it's cheaper to get a second while he's there.

Good Luck

VoxVeritatis

Reaction score
I have no way to check fuel pressure. I am stranded at my home.

Many/most auto parts stores will loan fuel pressure diag kit free of charge by refunding your deposit upon return.

(This is assuming you have transportation since you were headed out to pull a salvage circuit board.)