Really Dirty Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's been really cold up here in the Great White North and the city has been spreading salt, sand and some other junk almost constantly to keep the roads clear of ice. Anyway, the result has been the headlights have been getting really dirty, really quickly. Last night was really bad, I couldn't even tell that the low beams were actually on.

Since its been so cold, most car washes have been closed, so I haven't been able to give the truck a bath. I have been taking a rag soaked in some RainX wiper fluid to the headlights to clean them up. It works for about a day and then the dirt is back. I'm wondering if there is something else I could do.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
A ceramic coating would be best but for the quality ones it's not cheap and generally need to be certified to even buy it. So assuming you don't have access to a good ceramic coating I would get a good sealer. I like Meguiar's m21 and chemical guys jetseal worked pretty well the 1 time I used it

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Theyre probably pitted, dirt sticks much better to uneven worn surfaces.

Maybe try a headlight restoration kit?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I carry a jug of Prestone winter windshield wiper fluid and a roll of paper towels in my Expedtion to periodically clean the headlamps, brake and tail lamps. I live in the Midwest (USA) and we've had snow and subzero temperatures.

I don't have any other suggestions.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's been really cold up here in the Great White North and the city has been spreading salt, sand and some other junk almost constantly to keep the roads clear of ice. Anyway, the result has been the headlights have been getting really dirty, really quickly. Last night was really bad, I couldn't even tell that the low beams were actually on.

Since its been so cold, most car washes have been closed, so I haven't been able to give the truck a bath. I have been taking a rag soaked in some RainX wiper fluid to the headlights to clean them up. It works for about a day and then the dirt is back. I'm wondering if there is something else I could do.
Buy a Mercedes. They have headlight wipers.

OP
OP
jkayca

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Headlights don't appear pitted or worn. The truck is only 4 months old. I'll look around for a sealer, as gixer suggested. In the end though I don't hold out much hope. The fact that the front end is flat makes it a good magnet for everything coming off the road. I may just have to keep cleaning it regularly. Hopefully we will get a break in the weather and I'll be able to wash her soon.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Headlights don't appear pitted or worn. The truck is only 4 months old. I'll look around for a sealer, as gixer suggested. In the end though I don't hold out much hope. The fact that the front end is flat makes it a good magnet for everything coming off the road. I may just have to keep cleaning it regularly. Hopefully we will get a break in the weather and I'll be able to wash her soon.
It's just natural when you drive in sloppy winter weather. I have to clean mine all the time. Windex, a paper towel, and freeze your hands off for a couple of minutes and then you are good for another day. :)

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I too use the some-type of liquid cleaner and paper towels in between washings.
I have rainxd them in the past, as well as use plastic cleaner as part of my detailing regimen (Meguiars I think).