Rear Door issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kurtyg2020

Reaction score
I have a question for you guys, I have a 16 Limited and I ran it through the car wash this morning, and when I got to work I noticed the ice build up on the outside of the rear doors and the running boards. I am obviously having issues with the door draining, and I mentioned in another thread both of my rear doors have a tendency to retain water. I have not had time to really dive in a climb around on my back in inspect the doors. My question is are any other members having this issue? My front doors are not having this issue, so I assume it has something to do with the door drains. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to check to see what the issue could be. I would guess that the door should drain quickly and it is not, or do I have any issue with getting to much water into my door and the drain is not designed to remove that much water. I want to get this correct so that I don't have water in there during the winter and it freezes in there and expands and causes all sorts of other issues.
Thanks in advance.

Running Boards.jpg Outside of Door.jpg

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked at my doors and I cannot find a drain hole on the bottom of the door, but there does appear to be openings on the front and rear of the door on the crease where the door is folded. try running a piece of soft copper wire through the opening to make sure nothing is blocking it.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my ole '97 has several slots at the bottom that are about 3/4" long and 1/8" wide.
agree that the water has to evacuate somehow and not by just evaporation.

sure others will chime in.

OP
OP
K

Kurtyg2020

Reaction score
I ran it though the car wash again this morning, and I notice that water drains from the front bottom corner of the rear doors. I have a 20 min drive to work, and the rear doors are still draining when I get to work, however the front doors are done draining. So either something is causing it so drain slowly or I am getting more water in the door then designed. I am going to look at it a little more closely tonight and see if I can get it figured out.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran it though the car wash again this morning, and I notice that water drains from the front bottom corner of the rear doors. I have a 20 min drive to work, and the rear doors are still draining when I get to work, however the front doors are done draining. So either something is causing it so drain slowly or I am getting more water in the door then designed. I am going to look at it a little more closely tonight and see if I can get it figured out.

Seems like with all that Ice on your running boards that there’s a lot of water getting in there. In fact it appears there is ice all over your rocker panel from it. I don’t think that much water should be going through there. You might want to take these pics to ford and have them take a look.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The component manufacturers put these paper labels on the various components, over time they get wet, they deteriorate, and then fall off. It could be that you have some blocking the rear drain which prevents it from draining normally. I'd remove the inside door panel and check in the bottom of the door for debris. If it's still under warranty, make the dealer do it for you.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine drains out for several hours after a car wash. Thought it was just the nature of the beast. You guys are making me think otherwise now....

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine drains out for several hours after a car wash. Thought it was just the nature of the beast. You guys are making me think otherwise now....
Mine will have water dripping out of the truck for a couple of hours too but usually it just drips, it's not a flood or anything like that.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the door is filling up with water, thats an issue all by itself. Some water is to be expected from the glass seals, especially if the window is operated when it is wet (some gets wiped off on the inside of the door cavity when the window is moving up). That should not be "water". It should be no more than "drops", and probably won't make it to a drain before it evaporates.

Anything would not surprise me, though. One day I was having all four tires replaced when the manager calls me back into the work bay and showed me one of my tires had over a gallon of water in it...that was after some spillage when removing the tire from the wheel. That, my friends, was totally weird.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the door is filling up with water, thats an issue all by itself. Some water is to be expected from the glass seals, especially if the window is operated when it is wet (some gets wiped off on the inside of the door cavity when the window is moving up). That should not be "water". It should be no more than "drops", and probably won't make it to a drain before it evaporates.

Anything would not surprise me, though. One day I was having all four tires replaced when the manager calls me back into the work bay and showed me one of my tires had over a gallon of water in it...that was after some spillage when removing the tire from the wheel. That, my friends, was totally weird.
That means that the somebody didn't empty the water out of the air compressor tank. It is definitely a good reason to use dry nitrogen in tires.