Rear hatch rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texevora

Reaction score
I have a super annoying rattle coming from the rear hatch that occurs anytime i go over high frequency bumps on the road.

I was able to get the rattle to go away a few times by successively adjusting/tightening the window latch (the rectangular latch with a hex nut adjuster), however the latch is now so tight that it barely shuts, and the rattle has returned with a vengeance.

I am guessing it is coming from something inside the plastic rear hatch cover. Has anyone experienced these rattles and been able to address them once and for all? Any tips/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a super annoying rattle coming from the rear hatch that occurs anytime i go over high frequency bumps on the road.

I was able to get the rattle to go away a few times by successively adjusting/tightening the window latch (the rectangular latch with a hex nut adjuster), however the latch is now so tight that it barely shuts, and the rattle has returned with a vengeance.

I am guessing it is coming from something inside the plastic rear hatch cover. Has anyone experienced these rattles and been able to address them once and for all? Any tips/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Are you sure the rattle is from the hatch?

Do you have a sunroof / vista roof? If so, there were several TSB’s issued by Ford to correct a rattle (which may be mistaken for a hatch rattle).

Hardrocker

Reaction score
Resurrecting this old post because I have/had the same rattle. Went through a thorough investigation to confirm the source. With the help of the OP's results, I decided to do the opposite. I loosened the window latch half a turn. I figured that the latch was scraping against the locker in the door. See the wear marks on the latch. So far this has been successful and the rattle is completely gone. If it comes back, I will update.

IMG_0744.JPG

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine was the rear cargo floor squeaking on the metal underneath it. They removed it and resealed it.

Bonk

Reaction score
Bunch of stuff rattling around under cargo cover for me. Cut up a rubberized carpet floor mat. Tossed everything back in and good to go now.

badfish

Reaction score
Resurrecting this old post because I have/had the same rattle. Went through a thorough investigation to confirm the source. With the help of the OP's results, I decided to do the opposite. I loosened the window latch half a turn. I figured that the latch was scraping against the locker in the door. See the wear marks on the latch. So far this has been successful and the rattle is completely gone. If it comes back, I will update.

View attachment 78787
Glad I saw this! I had a persistent rattle on bumps on city roads. Loosened the latch nut as much as I could and put it back on and problem fixed!

I also had a dealer plate cover with only two holes for screws which was was banging around like crazy. Drilled two additional holes in the cover and reinstalled with four screws and that went away as well.