Rear seat entertainment ok or a bust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I mean...
That does make sense. It's basically just a tv with selectable inputs. All the video generation happens on the driver's side.

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I mean...
That does make sense. It's basically just a tv with selectable inputs. All the video generation happens on the driver's side.

Agreed vox and Fomco are banking on this crap for $2500.00 giving a shined turd.

I can buy 5 sets (10 monitors) on ebay that will out perform the factory RES for the cost of 2 factory monitors.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As aggravating as it is the auto industry has been struggling to keep up with tech for ages. It just changes at an exponentially faster rate. Ford probably made the decision to use those monitors in late 2016. They also have to pass crash testing, heat etc. Take one look at caddys CTS main screens that pop any given moment due to heat. I know I'm making excuses but that is the current reality. Now a lot of manufacturers are offering mounts for devices you already own because they have given up.

I'm honestly not mad at the tech side of things with the rear ent. I just can't fathom why they didn't integrate it in any way shape or form to the front? No audio over the speakers? I can't stop the video from the front?? It might as well be an iPad back there. Having the (now) factory supplied Roku fixes all the processing issues you are having. I can cast from any device, so technically I can control it with my Android phone or my wife from her iPhone up front no problem... Really the only issue is you get one stream. The other input has to be the SD card or usb if you want to watch different sources. Not a biggie for me as we are about to have our first kid but I could see that as an issue for some. I have yet to see how a single 4g connection handles 2 had streams... I imagine not well unless there is a SOLID connection.

If that grinds your gears I don't think you should take apart the main infotainment. Considering mine can't even handle it's own startup sequence without stuttering its way to an arguably very dated looking menu system I bet it's just as depressing hardware wise...

OP
OP
C

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As aggravating as it is the auto industry has been struggling to keep up with tech for ages. It just changes at an exponentially faster rate. Ford probably made the decision to use those monitors in late 2016. They also have to pass crash testing, heat etc. Take one look at caddys CTS main screens that pop any given moment due to heat. I know I'm making excuses but that is the current reality. Now a lot of manufacturers are offering mounts for devices you already own because they have given up.

I'm honestly not mad at the tech side of things with the rear ent. I just can't fathom why they didn't integrate it in any way shape or form to the front? No audio over the speakers? I can't stop the video from the front?? It might as well be an iPad back there. Having the (now) factory supplied Roku fixes all the processing issues you are having. I can cast from any device, so technically I can control it with my Android phone or my wife from her iPhone up front no problem... Really the only issue is you get one stream. The other input has to be the SD card or usb if you want to watch different sources. Not a biggie for me as we are about to have our first kid but I could see that as an issue for some. I have yet to see how a single 4g connection handles 2 had streams... I imagine not well unless there is a SOLID connection.

If that grinds your gears I don't think you should take apart the main infotainment. Considering mine can't even handle it's own startup sequence without stuttering its way to an arguably very dated looking menu system I bet it's just as depressing hardware wise...

It scares me that 4 years in they haven’t addressed any of the issues/limitations they had out of the gate (RSE and otherwise). Really really hoping Ford is spending time, effort and resources on the next gen...

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It scares me that 4 years in they haven’t addressed any of the issues/limitations they had out of the gate (RSE and otherwise). Really really hoping Ford is spending time, effort and resources on the next gen...

They addressed it for Navis in 2020 by including the Roku. I can see how dated and useless it would be without it...

I'm eager to hear how the in car wifi handles the two independent tablets. Love how you integrated them into the factory mounts! @Vipersinu2

OP
OP
C

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They addressed it for Navis in 2020 by including the Roku. I can see how dated and useless it would be without it...

I'm eager to hear how the in car wifi handles the two independent tablets. Love how you integrated them into the factory mounts! @Vipersinu2

Adding a dongle isn’t solving the issue. It’s, at best, a half assed bandaid.

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am not finished installing, I am waiting for the the mini Tamiya power connectors to come. I didnt want to cut the factory power cord. So they are runing off the cigarette lighter plug.

The wifi works perfectly. 200.00 per year with att service.
Additionally I can remote start truck with lincoln way app and unlock or lock the doors.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Adding a dongle isn’t solving the issue. It’s, at best, a half assed bandaid.

I'll give you that it's a band-aid,
But the functionality it adds is far from half-assed... How many other vehicles can stream video to the back seats much less have it trigger by voice? Ok Google, play the Sopranos in the back seat" It can be controlled by rf remote or any cell phone. I have live TV, local channels and access to my entire "DVR" via YouTube TV. Disney+, Hulu, Netflix, HBO, etc etc etc... It's all there... If friends come along all they have to do is login to the wifi and they can play their fav YouTube vids, even create a que that the whole group can add to.