Rear sway bar size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texasscot

Reaction score
I'm trying to buy rear sway bar bushings for my 2003 Expedition, rear wheel drive, and all the vendors are telling me they are 21mm but mine measures 15mm. Do i have a non standard sway bar?
eg, Prothane 6-1145 Red 21 mm Rear Sway Bar Bushing Kit is recommended on Amazon but they are way too big.
I just wanted to know if i could buy 15mm ones for a different vehicle and whether they are likely to fit in the brackets properly.
thanks in advance for any guidance.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with poly bushings on the stock swaybar anyway. It's not going to do anything but add squeaks. But yes, I think the stock one is something like 1/2" or 15mm in diameter. If you want to do something for the roll control replace the stock one with a BelTec 5550 1" heavy duty swaybar. Same one they put on police vehicles. It comes with new bushings, and it'll actually improve the roll control of your Expy.

-Mike

Beltech 5550 at Summit Racing

Here's the Beltech swaybar next to the stock Expy swaybar....
SwaybarSizeComparison_zpsccb5a3e7.jpg

BelltechSwaybarPolyBushings_zps5d42ea99.jpg

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I highly suggest upgrading to the belltech anti-sway bars cuz I have the eibach anti-sway bars...not only does it minimize the body roll...that increases handling...it is well worth the money and comes with everything u need

OP
OP
T

texasscot

Reaction score
Many thanks for the advice guys. I have ordered the Belltech 5550.
This should help stop my inlaws complaining about my driving!
Graham

bavism

Reaction score
Would I notice any worthwhile improvements by only upgrading the rear? Looks like you can get the rear for about $120, but closer to $500 to do both the front and the rear. Can I do one, or should both be done?

Matt

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, the front is already 34mm bar. The rear is the weak link on the Expy. The aftermarket swaybar is a 26mm bar vs. the stock 13mm bar. The rear-end is what pitches around on the Expy.

-Mike

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, the front is already 34mm bar. The rear is the weak link on the Expy. The aftermarket swaybar is a 26mm bar vs. the stock 13mm bar. The rear-end is what pitches around on the Expy.

-Mike

Thank you. I couldn't find the stock info. I will prob end up doing both front and rear myself but it seems the largest front bar available is 1.5" and not nearly the upgrade the rear bar is.

FYI the largest bars I could find available are the Hellwig 7689 front and Belltech 5550 rear. Belltech doesn't seem to make a front bar and the Hellwig 7660 rear bar is only 19MM.

69ford99

Reaction score
Just got my belltech rear bar. Did you guys use hex bolts or carriage bolts, and what about lock washers or nuts?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I re-used the stock bolts, whatever they were. It's been a long time since I did the upgrade.

69ford99

Reaction score
Ok, I read a review and the guy said the original bolts wouldn't fit in the new bracket. I guess it will depend on the shape of the bolts when I get them off.