Rear Sway bar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Appreciate the shared knowledge Deadman. I’ve been on the fence about whether to trade up to the Nav.
But I really like my Platty. If this can cure my ridiculous porpoising and rocking—on the CCD suspension—I’m all in.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Appreciate the shared knowledge Deadman. I’ve been on the fence about whether to trade up to the Nav.
But I really like my Platty. If this can cure my ridiculous porpoising and rocking—on the CCD suspension—I’m all in.

Wouldn’t the Navi have the same problem, since it is the same suspension?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wouldn’t the Navi have the same problem, since it is the same suspension?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I just bought a 18 Navigator L 4x4 Black Label and it DOES NOT bobble-head and do all the ridiculous movement the Expedition does stock. Its all in the ****** rebound dampening in the shocks. The rebound dampening is way to soft, so the vehicle goes into a dip and then springs back up TOO far which causes it to then dip down the other way and get into a violent side to side rocking motion if you get on just the right road surfaces.

If you throw it in sport the side to side action gets a lot better, but then the transmission shifts like a 16 year old boy would like it to! lol.

Jamaican Cruiser

Reaction score
Deadman,
You are my new hero :). Did you only do the sway bars or did you also do "rod inks". I am not quite sold on the links, so checking is you had any experience with them.

Following your footsteps very soon.

whizkid

Reaction score
Mine is on order. Keeps getting pushed out on delivery. I’m up to end of October now. . . Can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Deadman,
You are my new hero :). Did you only do the sway bars or did you also do "rod inks". I am not quite sold on the links, so checking is you had any experience with them.

Following your footsteps very soon.

Mine only has 13,000 miles on it, so my factory end links are still in good shape. If you are high miles, you might consider replacing them, but really not necessary.

I just did the sway bars. The ride is definitely stiffer, which was needed. You do feel the small cracks a tiny bit more, but otherwise it rode like grannys 1980 Fleetwood! Mine was all over the damn road and floated like it lost its mind. My wife absolutely refused to drive it in anything but sport because it was all over the place and bobbing up and down and side to side. She can't believe how much better it is now! It just doesn't have the steam that her 3.5L HO has in her Navigator! :)

AParamedic

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the tips. As a point of reference, the 7688 fit my 2018 XLT with FX4 perfectly. Helpful to have on hand is a 15mm ratcheting combination wrench (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-15-mm-Reversible-Ratcheting-Combination-Wrench-HRRW15MM/202942560) and a 6mm socket wrench when disconnecting or connecting the ends of the antisway bar.

Only had 5 minutes to take it for a spin after installation and I agree it did improve the side-to-side lean.

I'm considering adding the 7696 front end antisway bar but I'm curious to see if upgrading the front and rear makes a huge difference vs doing just the rear alone?

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rear bar was more noticeable in the leaning and the rear end swaying all the time.

The front bar later made it handle much flatter overall and finished off the side to side jostling that it gives non stop on backroads.
If I was short on cash I'd do the rear. If I liked it to handle a ton better and stop the bobblehead BS, then I'd get both again.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I never really notice the sway, I just figure a figure that acts more like a wall in the wind, and is taller than I am, will likely have some sway. It's simply a matter of momentum. Unless the wheels are place a foot outward one each side (like Mr. T's van with flares or like a bike with training wheels), not sure what you do.

With that said, I have both the front and rear sway bars and while I completely believe they made a difference, I think the links are pretty shoddy and weak as well. I didn't find any aftermarket links that would be beefier. But I've also done sway bars on every Jeep I've ever owned, just a habit at this point.

Nate2020KR

Reaction score
Where did you guys order your sway bars from? I see that they are special order from everywhere. And direct from Hellwig they add a $50 special order fee to each bar. Summit Racing is the way I'm leaning.