Rear Sway bar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just installed Hellwig front and rear sway bars last weekend on our 2017 EL Limited.

Made a huge difference on leaning when cornering ... and the side-to-side sway issue when going thru approaches.
EXACTLY!

UTEngineer

Reaction score
Did you order from Hellwig? I ordered from Suspension Connection...it was a bit cheaper.. but not sure WTH is going on if they gave you a ship date.. [emoji848]

Ordered mine from Suspension connection. 8 week lead time and when 8 weeks came, they said back ordered another 4 weeks. Cancelled order. Reordered from Summit Racing. Got front sway bar in two weeks and rear in 3 1/2 weeks. Suspension Connection sucks. They are actually Tuff Country, which I did not know until the refund BS I went thru. Had I known this I would never have ordered from them. Had to remove and return their crappy leveling kit on my 2019 Duramax. Do yourself a favor and stay away from Tuff Country. Which is sadly a Salt Lake City, UT business where I currently reside.

Sent from my iPhone

UTEngineer

Reaction score
As an engineer myself, I understand there is a give and take. They should simply design the sway bar to be adjustable so those who want less sway, but are willing to give up some ride comfort, can make that decision ... without purchasing aftermarket parts to adjust the sway bar stiffness.

Railroadmam

Reaction score
Change both sway bars. I'm going to do the same to mine. I want to make my expy an overland suv. Just purchased an ARB Zero 73qt fridge/freezer.
We should have an overland group build.
Share upgrades and mods.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As an engineer myself, I understand there is a give and take. They should simply design the sway bar to be adjustable so those who want less sway, but are willing to give up some ride comfort, can make that decision ... without purchasing aftermarket parts to adjust the sway bar stiffness.

How exactly do you take a bar that twists at a specific rate and poundage and make that twist adjustable? The sway bar is borrowing spring rate from the other side.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I FINALLY got to take my Expedition on the same 1,200 mile road trip that I've taken it on BEFORE the sway bars were swapped. Its an absolute HUGE improvement in handling and ride. When it was stock, it would buck all over the place when I crossed brides and stuff at 85mph and it almost wanted to wander into the other lanes because it was flopping all over the place with the sloppy suspension. Now, it feels a lot more like a controlled performance sedan does. On same bridges, it now just goes up a small amount and immediately comes down and is settled right away. Before it would bob up and down 3-4 times and make you hold on for dear life if it was in a corner.

I never used to run it very hard simply because I had little confidence in its handling. On this trip I found myself really hammering down on it hard because it felt so planted and in control. Its hard to put a price on handling and control, but if I had to do this over again for double the price, I'd still say its money well spent.

I can't believe how Ford sent these out handling so horribly and that there aren't more people rolling them over or whatever from it. I mean it was ok before, but its literally like driving a completely different car now. It will flat out run circles around my 18 Navigator L Black Label on rough roads or corners.

If you are on the fence about the handling of your expedition, just get the sway bars and you will be happy beyond words if you like it to handle like a performance sedan. Thats really the best explanation I have for it......

This trip netted 2 mpg less, because I was ON the throttle ALL the time! lol. I used to drive it like an old man, because it seemed necessary!

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How exactly do you take a bar that twists at a specific rate and poundage and make that twist adjustable? The sway bar is borrowing spring rate from the other side.

They do make a duel rate sway bar for off roading. Full locked, full open and somewhere in between. Uses air or electric pressure plates. Kinda like our E rear diffs works. But they basically have tried to stiffen the ride in Sport with the shock dampening. Ford should have the option to just change the shock settings without changing the throttle and Trans mapping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UTEngineer

Reaction score

The Hellwig rear sway bar on my truck has 3 different holes that the end links can be connected to. The hole closest to the main crossbar is the highest resistance (stiffness) setting and the hole farthest from the crossbar is least amount of resistance. But even the lowest setting on the Hellwig sway bar is considerably more than the stock sway bar because the larger diameter bar inherently has more resistance to radial force. Remember that the sway bar on my truck is also used for trucks with large slide-in campers that cause a lot of sway. I have it installed so when going into downhill corners on mountain passes my long and heavy travel trailer does not push the backend of my truck around, also works well for crosswinds that make my travel trailer sway. Our 34 ft bumper-pull travel trailer actually weighs 9,000 lbs loaded and I am going to test pull it with our Expedition next year, which was also part of the reason for upgraded sway bars front and rear.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They do make a duel rate sway bar for off roading. Full locked, full open and somewhere in between. Uses air or electric pressure plates. Kinda like our E rear diffs works. But they basically have tried to stiffen the ride in Sport with the shock dampening. Ford should have the option to just change the shock settings without changing the throttle and Trans mapping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, I know, I absolutely HATE the aggressive trans shifts in sport. Theres times I just want it to stiffen up, but I won't run sport because it sits in 8th gear on the highway making 8mpg. lol

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I FINALLY got to take my Expedition on the same 1,200 mile road trip that I've taken it on BEFORE the sway bars were swapped. Its an absolute HUGE improvement in handling and ride. When it was stock, it would buck all over the place when I crossed brides and stuff at 85mph and it almost wanted to wander into the other lanes because it was flopping all over the place with the sloppy suspension. Now, it feels a lot more like a controlled performance sedan does. On same bridges, it now just goes up a small amount and immediately comes down and is settled right away. Before it would bob up and down 3-4 times and make you hold on for dear life if it was in a corner.

I never used to run it very hard simply because I had little confidence in its handling. On this trip I found myself really hammering down on it hard because it felt so planted and in control. Its hard to put a price on handling and control, but if I had to do this over again for double the price, I'd still say its money well spent.

I can't believe how Ford sent these out handling so horribly and that there aren't more people rolling them over or whatever from it. I mean it was ok before, but its literally like driving a completely different car now. It will flat out run circles around my 18 Navigator L Black Label on rough roads or corners.

If you are on the fence about the handling of your expedition, just get the sway bars and you will be happy beyond words if you like it to handle like a performance sedan. Thats really the best explanation I have for it......

This trip netted 2 mpg less, because I was ON the throttle ALL the time! lol. I used to drive it like an old man, because it seemed necessary!

Just got my Hellwig rear sway bar delivered yesterday (11/21) after ordering on 9/24, so it was quite a wait since it was backordered from Hellwig (ordered through Summit Racing). I should have done this a long time ago, since the handling confidence level is much improved! My favorite freeway onramp used to cause a lot of body lean, and now it handles much flatter. Small country roads with lots of uneven pavement seem less dramatic as well since head toss is much reduced. Install was very straightforward as well. Just put the back wheels on ramps and 6 bolts later, the new swaybar is installed.