Rear Sway bar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bwhinnen

Reaction score
Installed the front this morning.

Needed 10mm, 15mm, and 18mm sockets, also an 18mm ring wrench/spanner.

10mm was used to remove the four bolts for the underbody cover (man, that is cheap crap, can’t wait to replace it with skid plates). 15mm socket to remove the u-brace nuts and the 18mm socket to remove the end link nuts.

I checked the torque before removing them and the were all around 40ftlbs.

Install was easy, having ramps would have made it a tad easier, but I could still shimmy under as it was. Turning the wheels to get access to the end links made it easier too.

Needed the 10mm socket on the end of the link bolt and 18mm ring to tighten it.

Still need to go down my test road, but feels good on a general drive 35-45mph speed limits with some nice curves around the neighborhood.

bryz_expy

Reaction score
Just installed the front bar this afternoon. Will be test driving later tonight.
13lb difference in weight of the bar but the diameter is similar. Is the factory bar hollow?

I also swapped the links as suggested in this thread to the energy suspension links. I cut down the solid bar tubes so I didn’t have to cut the bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk7de93fe1c527d622fd37509d1e240515.jpg

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just installed the front bar this afternoon. Will be test driving later tonight.
13lb difference in weight of the bar but the diameter is similar. Is the factory bar hollow?

I also swapped the links as suggested in this thread to the energy suspension links. I cut down the solid bar tubes so I didn’t have to cut the bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk7de93fe1c527d622fd37509d1e240515.jpg
Exactly the same way I did mine. It's a great setup!

bwhinnen

Reaction score

I thought the same thing when I pulled mine off yesterday.

I’m happy to report it is a very nice change. The initial rebound is still there, but the subsequent bounces have been dampened or removed depending on the severity of the bump(s).

wiseguy54

Reaction score
Agreed on the impact of reducing rebound bounces. My wife didn't notice it right away, which was a good thing, bc she wasn't getting carsick anymore when we'd have certain road conditions.

Are your Hellwig front bar holes about 3/4 an inch shorter than OEM? I was alsong wondering if I shouldn't have kept the oem bushings, as the slots cut into the bushings provided are a little wide.

bwhinnen

Reaction score
Agreed on the impact of reducing rebound bounces. My wife didn't notice it right away, which was a good thing, bc she wasn't getting carsick anymore when we'd have certain road conditions.

Are your Hellwig front bar holes about 3/4 an inch shorter than OEM? I was alsong wondering if I shouldn't have kept the oem bushings, as the slots cut into the bushings provided are a little wide.

I didn’t actually measure the end link hole location or compare them when the bars were side by side. I was just getting the location for the new bushings to apply the grease.

And yes, the brackets for the OE bushings were of much better quality/size, just not the bushings themselves (the Hellwig bushings were much better). The Hellwig ones seemed a little smaller and the slot was wider than it needed to be, but on the flip side, made it easier to put on when you’re laying on your back …

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score

anyone with a touchy stomach would barf in these things stock. Glad the bar made it into a vehicle she can actually ride in and not barf. That would of cost Ford like $20 to make that bar the proper stiffness, but they'd rather have your wife barfing! lol