Rear Sway bar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bump...

Once I get my order of the front/rear Hellwig sways I'll post install pics and post-install ride thoughts. Tired of the shaky seat/bobble head thing!
If it wasn't for this sway bar, I ABSOLUTELY would of traded mine off when it was less than a year old. I just can't believe how many people deal with the bobble-head BS. My wife literally got sea sick in it and asked WTF was wrong with it when it was brand new. lol.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I noticed Hellwig sells universal adjustable end links in three lengths that are supposed to fit the Expedition.

Are the links that come with the Hellwig swaybar fixed?

Looking at Deadman's comparison pics of both rear bars and his observation that they look very similar, would replacing the OEM end links with a shorter length provide similar handling characteristics?

Uses all the factory links.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So as was suggested to me, I should check with them on the "redesign" that happened sometime last year. I've now spoken to two engineers and am waiting for a return call from the lead engineer that actually designed the 7696 bar for the Expy. So far none of them are ware of a redesign but honestly, they took it seriously when I talked about knowing at least one person that had a snapped end link. I suppose they could be trying not to replace the bar, but truly I like them, they seem to care and want to talk about it. Let you know when I hear back from this guy.

MHay

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone know the correct torque spec for the rear U plate nuts when installing the Hellwig sway bar?

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Couldn't ever find it. I think I did 35 or 40 lb/ft. Just seems like a pretty good number but I also used some blue loctite as well just for posterity.

Last edited:

MHay

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Couldn't ever find it. I think I did 35 or 40 lb/ft. Just seems like a pretty good number but I also used some blue loctite as well just for posterity.
Thanks - figure I’ll do about 40-45 to be safe. Good call on the Loctite!

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll see if I can find the factory spec.

Update: I could only find it on older Fords. For now, you're probably fine with 45 ft/lbs and Loctite. I'd check it after a few hundred miles.

Last edited:

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I realize this isn't my rear sway bar, but it's my front end links. I did the Energy Suspension kit (part number 9.8121G) on the front. These things are nice and beefy and I like that they have polyurethane bushings top and bottom of each connection. Now technically I had to modify them a bit, the bolts are the right length but the bushings are so stiff, that I couldn't actually get the nut on the top (because there was no good way of compressing them enough), so I ended up cutting about 3/4" off of each of the metal spacers that go in the center. This actually lined up the bar a little better too (more parallel). If I had to do it again, I would have only cut 1/2" off, this means a decent amount of threads are exposed on top unfortunately once you crank it down. An alternative would have been to get longer bolts but I couldn't find 9" by 3//8"/16 grade 5 or 8 bolts anywhere near me.

Here's a before and after. So far I like it, took it for a drive, no knocks or noises yet, will recheck nut tightness in a couple days. Way stronger than the stock stuff.

PXL_20210120_215428523~1.jpg
PXL_20210120_230909492~1.jpg

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I realize this isn't my rear sway bar, but it's my front end links. I did the Energy Suspension kit (part number 9.8121G) on the front. These things are nice and beefy and I like that they have polyurethane bushings top and bottom of each connection. Now technically I had to modify them a bit, the bolts are the right length but the bushings are so stiff, that I couldn't actually get the nut on the top (because there was no good way of compressing them enough), so I ended up cutting about 3/4" off of each of the metal spacers that go in the center. This actually lined up the bar a little better too (more parallel). If I had to do it again, I would have only cut 1/2" off, this means a decent amount of threads are exposed on top unfortunately once you crank it down. An alternative would have been to get longer bolts but I couldn't find 9" by 3//8"/16 grade 5 or 8 bolts anywhere near me.

Here's a before and after. So far I like it, took it for a drive, no knocks or noises yet, will recheck nut tightness in a couple days. Way stronger than the stock stuff.

View attachment 39913
View attachment 39912
Maybe it's just the angle of the photo, but the new links look quite a bit longer than the stock links.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
from tip to tip, they were identical, within about a 1/4". The bolt on these is roughly 8 3/4" long, the factory ones I pulled off are close to 9" long. I think it's also deceiving because of the continuous metal piece, vs the factory ones with the flexible bushings on them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01