Redesign for 2013 model year?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nathanialson 08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ya for what the Expedition is usually used for the V6 Ecoboost would be perfect for it, you need the room but can't own a minivan then the suburban and expedition is what most will buy and if Ford puts the Eco boost in thr Expedition then hey will out sell the Chevy Suburban & GMC Youkon XL by far.

The Informant

Reaction score
An updated Expedition is around the corner. U324 has been moved down on the priority list, but it’s not forgotten. Some cosmetic enhancements are due, along with some powertrain changes. Is a "boosted" Expedition coming? One cannot say for certain reasons. But don’t be surprised.

The U324’s automatic ControlTrac four-wheel drive system will remain with a two-speed dual range BorgWarner transfer box and torque-biasing locking center differential.

Nathanialson 08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
they better have low range in them, why can't some suv's be like the older ones? all we pretty much have is the Toyota FJ-Cruiser and the Nissan Xterra but they aren't fords is the problem with them?

OP
OP
T

Thrumcap

Reaction score
Hopefully "around the corner" mean 2013 model year. Can't wait any longer...

SourMashII

Full Access Members
Reaction score
they better have low range in them, why can't some suv's be like the older ones? all we pretty much have is the Toyota FJ-Cruiser and the Nissan Xterra but they aren't fords is the problem with them?

The lethargic obese American machine that composes mainstream, cares not about 4x4 low range, or shifting their own gears. So the mfr's cater to that.

Secondly, how many housewives/soccermom's can you picture letting Joe Six Pack go weekend wheeling in their 45-60k people mover?

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not many but I know mine will. Hell, she'll even drive.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dougmcp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was listening to a radio show hosted by Jerry Reynolds a well connected and prominent promoter of Fords and he is under the impression that Ford is not going to put any real money into developing the Expy any further. He says that it may even go away as a discontinued model soon.
If you review the sales figures for the Expy they are shrinking to the point where they may no longer be a profitable vehicle for Ford to produce.
Their US sales figures are:
2002: 163,454
2003: 181,547
2004: 159,846
2005: 114,137
2006: 87,203
2007: 90,287
2008: 55,123
2009: 31,655
2010: 37,336
2011: 36,287
Canadian sales don't add much to these numbers with around 1500 for each of the last 4 years.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not quite fair to say because ALL vehicle sales are down. When the economy comes back, so will sales. People will always need big suv's to haul people and stuff. High gas prices alone can't kill'em and if you look at the #'s they are slowly coming back. Probably not as much as before but back.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

dougmcp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree that the gas crunch and economy has hurt SUV sales as a whole but the Expy has been losing ground faster than any of them. It's a shame to see as we all like them but the facts are GM (Tahoe/Yukon and Suburban) holds about 70% of the large SUV market and Ford Expy has about 16%.
Here's a breakdown, it's only a single month but the numbers track pretty consistently.

Attachments

• U.S. large SUV sales chart October 2011.jpg
    U.S. large SUV sales chart October 2011.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,215

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i think if they update the damn drivetrain and some all around to compete with the newer GM's(which are now growing alittle long in the tooth but chevy also likes to leave things alone for along ass time before updates) it would help the regular buyer take a closer look before buying.

i wonder if fleet sales are factored into those numbers? ford sells ALOT of fleet trucks.