Registration fee in TX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But wait until you see your property tax bill. It more than makes up for other savings!!

I lived in California for seven years. Higher TX property tax is more than offset by the lower cost of housing. Many people don't realize it, but part of the reason the California is screwed up is because proposition 13 capped property tax at 1%. To make up the shortfall the state started raising revenue through other methods, such as income tax, sales tax, and fees. Everytime there's a recession, revenue drops and a hole gets blown in the state budget. That combined with NIMBYism, zoning, and other restrictive development rules have prevented developers from keeping pace with housing demand. Most of SoCal is zoned single family residential even though the population has grown orders of magnitude larger as compared to when the zoning rules were implemented.

KSC 2019 XLT

Reaction score
I just renewed my 2019 Expy last month (Aug 2020) and it was $75.

Yes the property tax is high mainly because of school district tax on the property tax bill. Total prop tax rate range from approx 2.3 - 2.9% total where as CA is 1 - 1.25%.

OP
OP
GB19XLT

GB19XLT

Reaction score
I just renewed my 2019 Expy last month (Aug 2020) and it was $75.

Yes the property tax is high mainly because of school district tax on the property tax bill. Total prop tax rate range from approx 2.3 - 2.9% total where as CA is 1 - 1.25%.

but also, you guys don’t pay any state taxes, correct?

the high property tax isn’t an issue to me. There’s a development near my city and it’s at 1.9%. That’s high for CA.

the cost of housing in Texas is far less than anything in California. I’ve owned my 2nd home here in the Central Valley for 2 years now and it’s value has gone up almost 100k in just that time. It’s insane. Definitely will never sell, due to everything else being so damn high. But if I do sell, Texas seems like a great option.

KSC 2019 XLT

Reaction score

the high property tax isn’t an issue to me. There’s a development near my city and it’s at 1.9%. That’s high for CA.

the cost of housing in Texas is far less than anything in California. I’ve owned my 2nd home here in the Central Valley for 2 years now and it’s value has gone up almost 100k in just that time. It’s insane. Definitely will never sell, due to everything else being so damn high. But if I do sell, Texas seems like a great option.
I'm actually a native CA (Bay Area) and been in TX 8 years due to my work moving me. There is no state income tax in TX. Property tax in TX is an issue if you have an expensive home.

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score

that is correct, Texas does NOT have state income tax (or annual personal property taxes on vehicles)
personal property taxes are limited to HOMES (and land).

in texas 50% of your personal property taxes go to the school district that you live w/in....SO....you kinda know where at least 50% of your personal property taxes go!

we also have a HOMESTEAD exemption on your primary (1st) residence of up to $25k, at the age of 65 we also get a homestead exemption of $10k for school taxes....SO.... If you live in a home valued at 200k dollar, you are only taxes on 175k of its value.

why you reach 65 yrs old the value would be 165k for tax purposes.

I moved from virginia and even with higher personal property taxes on our home in Texas I am MONEY ahead because there is not Texas income tax or property tax on vehicles.