Rotors at 23k miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the article below far better describes what we're talking about. Warping happens super often with OEM brakes. Can driving habits reduce the likelihood of it happening, absolutely, but the key always points back to quality. Even just a few small changes, like one front rotor coming from one supplier and the other from another (even though they have the same part number) can impact quality during heavy braking. One thing I've always noticed as well, is that brake fade is almost always a precursor to possible warping if you don't take precautions, that is the point at which the pads and rotors have heated enough that off gassing is occurring and friction is dropping. And the notion that brakes must glow before they are hot enough to experience failure of some kind is simply not the case (but again, I have seen brakes on Porsche's glowing coming down mountain passes in CO). Even brakes on nascar cars hardly glow like that. In fact, the only ones that do it a lot are carbon ceramic brakes from the likes of Porsche (and that's because they can still function at super heated levels). Think of it like this, a crappy steel pan can pop, warp, deform in an oven at around 400 degrees and it's no where near getting to the point of liquefaction or glowing. Another good example would be a saw blade. Crappy metals heat fast and will fail under heavy use, but again they are likely never to the point of glowing.

I will likely upgrade at least my fronts in the future, possibly the rears as well depending upon towing habits, etc. It's a fairly cheap upgrade, I mean I've seen folks spending more on vinyl wraps on here :)

https://www.knowyourparts.com/techn...e-components/importance-quality-brake-rotors/

This article talks a bit about the composition of some brakes.
http://knowhow.napaonline.com/brake-rotors-the-six-different-types/

And ceramic brakes that actually do glow:
https://drivetribe.com/p/watch-pors...1a2iSxq3M4iAKP-u-A?iid=eVlFv7YWQlmis7ArZJI1gQ

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
Here's an interesting factoid on Nascar ... I did not know
I suppose everyone else did!
Those drivers have a lot more to think about than most people realize.

3) On Super Speedways, the drivers heat up the brakes a couple of corners before coming into pit lane

On the Talladega and Daytona tracks, the drivers never use the brakes except in the case of a Caution Flag and when coming into pit lane.
Caution Flag episodes are not predictable, so they can result in violent braking with cold systems that risk damaging the braking systems.
In order to prevent thermal shock when stopping on pit lane, especially after a few laps when the system has not been used, most drivers rest a foot on the pedal at the beginning of the last lap before making a pit stop. By doing this, the disc begins to heat up, preparing itself for the subsequent force.

ssmock

Reaction score
WOW, $2 grand for a brake job and the dealer will put the same crappy factory parts on it. Find a good mechanic to do it and if you can find one who will install and let you buy the parts it will save you even more money. Some will say if they don't provide the parts (at a premium price) it voids the warranty. It's all part of the game they play.

OP
OP
J

JS CO

Reaction score
Thanks for the info and opinions, folks. Now that I think about it more, what's funny is that we first noticed an issue this summer while we were in Maine for the summer. I don't ride the brakes coming down hills -- I still remember the brake fluid overheating and bubbling over on my '83 Celica in the hills of Virginia one time. Meant we had to stop and stare at the scenery for a while, then add some brake fluid.

Our driving went like this -- regular ski trips every couple weeks this past winter, no issues observed, then COVID time, almost no driving March to June. Then drove ~2300 miles over 3 days to get to Maine, then had the vehicle sit entirely still in the marine environment (55 degree salt air and fog) for 2 full weeks (Maine required visitors to quarantine for 2 weeks and we followed the rules, didn't even turn the truck on for 2 weeks). After that time, noticed some rust on the rotors. Noticed some throbbing of brakes starting around then. On recent trip(s) to mountains, throbbing of brakes has gotten much worse, and we were due for an oil change, so we took it in.

What I'm trying to remember is if there was some other kind of braking incident on our trip east. I don't tend to even use the brakes much -- keep pretty wide following distance, downshift on hills, etc. I have a vague recollection of doing one pretty strong braking due to quickly stopping traffic on the interstate, but I don't recall if that was to a full stop. It's interesting that the recommended fix from the dealer doesn't even include replacing pads. I guess the pads are fine. Our Prius has never even needed pads replaced after 135,000 miles.

It sounds like the verdict is I should cut my losses and get new and better aftermarket rotors that will hold up better.

Do folks seriously think it's a good idea for me to DIY the install on these? I'm somewhat capable, but I haven't attempted to do anything major to a vehicle since I was in HS/college, driving old vehicles in need of regular work and short of funds to hire somebody else. I don't tend to do my own maintenance mostly because of the mess and pain in the butt involved in working with fluids, then storing and disposing of waste fluids. I'm technically a mechanical engineer, but the extent of my mechanical work in recent years has been bicycle and kid toy repair. I think the only vehicle work I've done recently is swapping summer/winter tires.

Plati

Reaction score
I had my trusted local garage put good quality (high carbon) rotors and good (ceramic) pads in my 2014 ... along with 8 quality plugs @75K miles in 2018. Cost $706

Last year they put good quality pads & rotors on the rear, new serp belt, & flushed cooling system for $494 @98K miles.

I can do that stuff myself but I'm older and like to support local businesses. They have all the tools & knowhow, I trust them, & sometimes they find other things and tell me about it. I can drop it off and do other things, pick it up and it's done ... Right!

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How does one do this properly? Quick google doesn’t turn up anything. Regardless of driving style they should hold up longer than OP encountered. Towed our TT all over the western us/Canada on my two previous trucks and never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The new 10spd and the 3.5 don’t offer as much engine braking as the old v8’s and 5 or less gear transmissions. Learn to down shift the 10spd on long down hills it helps keep speeds in check. The brakes on all the modern stuff are quite good and long lasting but heat from constant use will trash ANY brand rotors. I have family member who turn Light Toyotas into complete junk in 10,000 miles. The Toyota trucks historically go through pads fast if actually used in mountain country or towing 25yrs of Toyota trucks my self flat land no trailer I got 80k on my Toyotas between pads, living in mountain country I got between 8000-25,000 depending on the truck with smooth 100% rotors for well over 100,000 miles.

The expedition is big, heavy and easily driven like a powerful sedan and like wise braked and basically mis used brakes which easily can be trashed from heat in a short period.

Typically the term warped rotors is actually pad material baked into the surface of the rotors causing high / low spots which then give you the rough pulsing braking effect.

The most common cause is hot brakes which get stood on at stop lights. Example your daily of typical drive you come down a hill or off a highway ramp brake a decent distance heating the pads, then stop at a light bottom of the hill and sit there in one spot standing on the brake pedal, baking the pads into one spot on the disc.
The easiest fix is to change your behavior at the stop light. Come to a stop with some space so you can creep forward some while waiting thus not baking the pads in one spot on the rotor and also helping dissipate dome heat from the pad during uour creeping forward. Yes its a ingrained behavior/habit to break and retrain your self.
Long down hill runs gearing down to check speed vs just riding brakes the whole way is another habit to learn/fix. When coming down a long hill it’s better to brake ie slow then get off the brakes so you cool them, then brake again as speed picks up again which is why down shifting is important given between brake use the truck isn’t just free wheeling picking up speed again vs engine drag is helping keep speed checked/slowing your acceleration coming down the hill. My only complaint is the new 10spd and 3.5 is super efficient so again engine braking isn’t as effective as say my Subaru or my old Toyotas etc. So due to the lower engine braking effectiveness brake use/practice is actually even more important to cool between applications of the brake, and the stop light creep to avoid baking the pads in one spot at the lights

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had warped rotors on a vehicle years ago. I spoke to an engineer at Bendix. He said I should hand torque the lug nuts by loosening each one and re-tightening to the same torque. I replaced the rotors and re-torqued the wheels myself anytime they were removed. Never had a problem again for close to 100,000 miles.

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you should give some thought to what warped the rotor. It may be from overheating the brakes because the pads or rotor aren't dissipating the heat. This could be loads and braking technique. Better pads and rotor may help in this area. Or, at one point, you mentioned it sat for a couple weeks. If the little rubber boots protecting the caliper piston are damage or loose, you can get water in the between the caliper and piston. Most of the time, the heat will drive it out. However, if it sits for a couple weeks and starts a little corrosion, you may end up with a sticking caliper. This will cause the heat buildup and warp the rotor. I usually go with aftermarket pads and rotors, usually EBC, on brakes. The next step is to upgrade the whole package with calipers. It's up to you, but I would give the caliper on the pulsing brake a good examination to see it that was the cause.

Lghtspeedz

Reaction score
I'm surprised this was skipped over and not talked about more. 99.99% of the time, its not "warped rotors" (i.e. metal which has heated to the point of losing it's original shape/form) but rather uneven pad material deposits. When this happens, you can usually have the rotors turned (shave a bit off) and re-bed the brakes, or just go through the brake bedding procedure (Google) to evenly distribute pad material again.

If you drag the breaks down a long decline and then sit at a stop light without letting the rotors cool properly, pad material will adhere (melt) itself onto the rotor at that specific spot which can cause the pulsing.

Either way don't spend that kind of $$$. Some Centric blanks and pads should run you less than $300 on RockAuto/Amazon. Take these to a local mechanic if you can't do them yourself and you should get the normal install time which should be 4-5 hours for all 4 corners. Still 1/2 of what you were quoted.

This is exactly right. In a former life I worked for a company that was trying to develop next gen braking products using aerospace type materials. I worked with car companies, brake pad formulators, rotor manufacturers, and even some of the test houses. It was fascinating stuff. A couple things I learned:
1- OEM’s spend millions of dollars to develop and validate a brake system for a platform. Braking systems are one of the most common complaints (noises, pulsing, dusting, etc.). Knowing how much they put into a braking system, I’ve been extremely weary of most generic aftermarket brake pads where the same formula could potentially be made for an Expy and a Honda Civic. That seems unreasonable given how different those vehicles are.
2- brake pads contain a variety of materials: lubricants, fillers, abrasive / friction materials, binders, and thermal management materials. They all react differently in the pads. As of ten years ago phenolic was still common as a binder and that resulted in the horrible smell under extreme braking.
3- the thicker the pad, the more compression it has. As pads wear, there is less compression which creates a stiffer barrier between the rotor and your brake pedal. As pads wear you will notice more imperfections in the rotor surface. Think about new tires vs old tires and how much more you feel from the road as your tires age.
4- braking occurs because a friction layer (called wear debris layer) builds up on the surface of the rotor. This deposit is what creates friction and stops your vehicle. This is why bed in of new pads and rotors is vital to success. Think about how new pads and rotors often lack bite, while broken in pads often have a good initial bite that is easily modulated. Overtime the wear debris layers breaks down and redeposits. This process is what leads to rotor wear.
5- rotors are designed such that it is nearly impossible to physically warp them. Even though automotive companies are making them smaller and thinner to save weight, their design limits do not have a lot of freedom to warp. There are other drawbacks to thinner/lighter though, such as a higher likelihood of brake fade, uneven wear debris layers, etc. Warping is generally not one of them.
6- the pulsing sensation is caused when uneven deposits of brake pad material build up on sections of the rotor surface. This can be caused, as pointed out by others, when a very hot pad is held in place, such as at a stop light. Due to some of the materials used in the pad they will have lower melting points, which causes the material to stick to the pad. This high point on the surface generally becomes a hot point that captures more material. And as your pads wears you have less material to absorb heat, less compression, and thus the cycle builds on itself. You feel more pulsing.

Pad formulators are always trying to balance several characteristics: smooth consistent stopping capability, wear (longevity), noise, dusting, etc. Often times, improving one can have dramatic negative effects on the other. My preference is always to try to make the OEM pads work and improve heat dissipation at the rotor. Cross drilled rotors will tend to eat pads a little quicker but do a decent job of cutting down heat. Some non-drilled rotors do a better job of thermal management than others with venting and materials selection. If you are simply looking for a higher coefficient of friction, this can be achieved, but use a reputable company’s pads. I am not a fan of the lifetime brakes gimmick. They use very hard materials so they wear very little. This in turn eats up your rotors and typically comes at the expense of overall friction performance. In a Civic driven by Grandma, that might not matter. In a 6,000 lb Expy, it does. I’ve always believed that the OEM has the most vested interest in making the brake system work for their vehicle so I’m most comfortable with at a minimum OEM pads. There’s a lot of unknowns when you deviate. With that said, occasionally they get it wrong and for subsequent years you will see a new pad part number that supersedes the original. This means they really missed something and had to go back to the drawing board. Those are validated again for that particular platform.

To be clear, I’m not saying you can’t improve braking performance but there are many unknowns when trying to do so. And improving wear may reduce stopping power. Or reducing fade and minimizing uneven friction layers (that cause the pulsing) may increase dusting and wear faster. It’s a balancing act.