Second Battery Location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Munkiebunz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I too have been heavily researching this. Fwiw nothing good can really be put in the side panels. I've removed them and taken measurements. If you have a Sony sound system, the subwoofer has the control box mounted to it so you need a special bracket if you delete the sub. The filler & Liftgate motor block the nice space that would be there.
If you buy a battery that needs a vent please drill a hole in the floor and grommet it so that you don't die from the gasses.
I removed the right side 3rd row seat & that has a very nice space available for even a group 31 battery. Looked at a bunch of different battery configurations and can't really put a dual setup there (for a dual auxiliary battery for more Amp hours). If you don't want to remove that seat then consider a odyssey pc 1800 ft. 5 inches thin & can be mounted on the side. You would just need to fab a new false floor that's a tad higher than stock. That is actually my plan but I ran out of money. Those batteries are expensive but they are very energy dense.

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
I too have been heavily researching this. Fwiw nothing good can really be put in the side panels. I've removed them and taken measurements. If you have a Sony sound system, the subwoofer has the control box mounted to it so you need a special bracket if you delete the sub. The filler & Liftgate motor block the nice space that would be there.
If you buy a battery that needs a vent please drill a hole in the floor and grommet it so that you don't die from the gasses.
I removed the right side 3rd row seat & that has a very nice space available for even a group 31 battery. Looked at a bunch of different battery configurations and can't really put a dual setup there (for a dual auxiliary battery for more Amp hours). If you don't want to remove that seat then consider a odyssey pc 1800 ft. 5 inches thin & can be mounted on the side. You would just need to fab a new false floor that's a tad higher than stock. That is actually my plan but I ran out of money. Those batteries are expensive but they are very energy dense.
Thanks for the info. I thought that might be the case for the sides of the cargo area. That just pushes me towards the frame mount that I was thinking about. E350 vans had a pretty beefy set up like the pic I posted above. I'm going to start exploring that a little closer.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm confused...why isn't this battery going on the trailer? Mine has a rack up front with space for two.

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
I'm confused...why isn't this battery going on the trailer? Mine has a rack up front with space for two.
I want it for the Expy. Not just the trailer. I won't always be towing the trailer when I need it.

So it's a done deal. You have a few companies that are charging crazy prices for battery box and mounts. The factory one for the Econoline is perfect. It fits a group 65 battery which is 12.1"x7.5"x7.6" My battery that I'm mounting is a group 27 12.1"x6.8"x8.9". So the only issue will be the height which is easily manageable. Here is what I bought for $45:

Econoline Battery Box Lid 1.jpg Econoline Battery Box Lid 2.jpg Econoline Battery Box Lid 6.jpgEconoline Battery Box Bought 4.JPG

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was getting ready to post exactly this. Only required if battery is to be placed within the cabin.

This is proper procedure but lots don't and really not a big deal if you don't.
Some batts are consider non gassing or have special caps and don't need a battery box if inside pass compartment.
I have also seen a lot of boxes with special stereo batteries or Optima batteries.

CodyWS

Reaction score
Any chance you could share the part #s for the box and hardware. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Now if I can just find a good spot for my 4KW inverter. TY

Okgearhead

Reaction score
There’s a lot of room behind the drivers side rear tire, I plan on putting an air tank in that location.

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Any chance you could share the part #s for the box and hardware. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Now if I can just find a good spot for my 4KW inverter. TY
Best bet is to hit up eBay. Look for item # 382509679479. Seller seanb69fsu. His are like brand new and complete. He lists the measurements also.
I suspect there might be enough room in front of the subwoofer for an inverter. It's pretty tight everywhere back there though.