Self Levelling? Platinum with tow package.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suburban = 355hp 383tq
Expedition = 375hp 470tq

Yes I would say the Suburban overall is much less powered

Let me explain
Torque is a rotating force produced by an engine’s crankshaft. The more torque an engine produces, the greater its ability to perform work.

With almost 100 more ftlbs of torque and 4 more gears to chose from the Expedition should have towed better than the Suburban period.

And I don't care if you disagree or not. If you cant tell the Expedition is sagging a lot more then the Suburban you need to get your eyes checked or update the prescription on your glasses. The Suburban is damn near level the entire time and the Expy is clearly not.

You make it sound like every model prior to 18 is riding around on wagon wheels or something. Sacrifice the comfort of your family are you serious!!!!! Ive had no complaints from my family of 5 concerning the comfort of the ride when towing or not.

Yea but if you buy a GM you get a Denali with the 6.2L. My next SUV when this thing dies out (if it ever does) will most likely be the GMC, they are sexy, sound good, and fly (fastest full size on the market). The GM 6.2L outperforms everyone else's powertrains in the table. The 5.3L in the burb feels kind of ancient but it is fine still. The GMs have some of the best suspensions on the market and ride very nice, anyone who says they ride that bad is a liar. They have good materials, very truck like features and appearance, and perform well.

5.3: 355 horse and 380 torque
6.2: 420 horse and 460 torque even with the lower ratings the 6.2 still outperforms ford and everyone else in every category.

Normally I'm not a higher trim guy but if it means a monster motor I'm all in.

Still love my expys, and still like the 4th gen and who knows it may grow on me. Everyone's got their own tastes.

Last edited:

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea but if you buy a GM you get a Denali with the 6.2L. My next SUV when this thing died out (if it ever does) will most likely be the GMC, they are sexy, sound good, and fly (fastest full size on the market). The GM 6.2L outperforms everyone else's power trains in the table. The 5.3L in the burn feels kind of ancient but it is fine still.

5.3: 355 horse and 380ish torque
6.2: 420 horse and 460 torque even with the lower ratings the 6.2 still outperforms ford in every category.
Uh ok. Not sure what the above has to do with the subject at hand but go nuts bro

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh ok. Not sure what the above has to do with the subject at hand but go nuts bro

You were saying the 5.3 in the burb hauls almost as good as the newer ford. My point is the higher end GM units are even better than the ford. Basically agreeing with one of your points

Last edited:

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The gms ride nice, but compared to its competitors, not really. As i stated before, my dad has an escalade, a current gen, and my old nav was comparable on most surfaces. My expy now blows it away in ride and comfort, and i honestly think the armada rides better than the expy on its std springs(ccd expys are the best riding fss). As far as engine goes, the std 3.5l is way better than the 5.3l in terms of performance. The plat 3.5l is very comparable to the 6.2l, its not a big of diff as you may believe, or atleast to me. The toyota and nissan trucks are also competitive to the 6.2l as well. I admit i havent driven a gm on its std sus set up, but a denali is identical to the escalade in terms of drive and the gm is showing its age. I will say i still believe gms are the better handlers, they always handled their size quite well despite having solid rear axles. Ford is gonna have their hands full when the new gms suvs with irs comes out. I still dnt kno why car and driver is so nuts over the gls.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea but if you buy a GM you get a Denali with the 6.2L. My next SUV when this thing dies out (if it ever does) will most likely be the GMC, they are sexy, sound good, and fly (fastest full size on the market). The GM 6.2L outperforms everyone else's powertrains in the table. The 5.3L in the burb feels kind of ancient but it is fine still. The GMs have some of the best suspensions on the market and ride very nice, anyone who says they ride that bad is a liar. They have good materials, very truck like features and appearance, and perform well.

5.3: 355 horse and 380 torque
6.2: 420 horse and 460 torque even with the lower ratings the 6.2 still outperforms ford and everyone else in every category.

Normally I'm not a higher trim guy but if it means a monster motor I'm all in.

Still love my expys, and still like the 4th gen and who knows it may grow on me. Everyone's got their own tastes.

That is not quite true. The expedition in basic trim and the Denali are .3 seconds apart 0-60. The platinum ups the power to 400 and torque to 480, which likely gets it neck and neck.

Also, not sure what rear end was in the expedition they tested, but if it wasn’t the 3.73, the 0-60 time would go down from there.

BUT, you are forgetting the Navigatorthat has the numbers to dethrone the Denali. So I am not quite sure it dethrones everybody, in fact, I’d bet it didn’t.

When you factor in ride quality, there is no comparison, really. The ‘17 Denali we are quite familiar with simply does ride as good.

Also, I disagree with Corbett about handling. The expo with CCD and 22’s handles amazing! Put it in sport and you can hug the turns. I haven’t driven the Denali as spirited as I have my expedition since it is not mine, but the expo feels better than you could ever expect a 6,000lb vehicle to feel

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is not quite true. The expedition in basic trim and the Denali are .3 seconds apart 0-60. The platinum ups the power to 400 and torque to 480, which likely gets it neck and neck.

Also, not sure what rear end was in the expedition they tested, but if it wasn’t the 3.73, the 0-60 time would go down from there.

BUT, you are forgetting the Navigatorthat has the numbers to dethrone the Denali. So I am not quite sure it dethrones everybody, in fact, I’d bet it didn’t.

When you factor in ride quality, there is no comparison, really. The ‘17 Denali we are quite familiar with simply does ride as good.

Also, I disagree with Corbett about handling. The expo with CCD and 22’s handles amazing! Put it in sport and you can hug the turns. I haven’t driven the Denali as spirited as I have my expedition since it is not mine, but the expo feels better than you could ever expect a 6,000lb vehicle to feel

The escalade and Denali are faster 0-60 than the navigator despite the lower ratings, the 0-60 times were already published. No hate to the expy from me tho, I still like them just may try something different after this one.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s the Navi 0-60? I couldn’t find it anywhere.

My bad, the Navigatir is NOT published, it's estimated at 5.9-6.0 seconds by automobilemag. The Cadillac Escalade/ Tahoe RST/ Denali are 0-60 in 5.7 Seconds Est.

Last edited:

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I couldn't find the numbers on the nav, theres not alot of full tests if at all, which i can understand since ford cant even get em out for consumers, let alone journalists. As far as handling goes, the expy is pretty good, mines doesnt have the ccd so its alot closer to the sport setup in terms of ride and handling, but i do like the steering set up better in the escalade and gm pick up trucks. Sometimes i feel i have to wrk the steering more in my expy than those trucks and my navi.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You were saying the 5.3 in the burb hauls almost as good as the newer ford. My point is the higher end GM units are even better than the ford. Basically agreeing with one of your points

I didn’t say that. The guys on the video did. I simply pointed out that judging from the power numbers of each motor and the 4 more gears the Expy has, it should have towed a lot better than the Suburban.

The gms ride nice, but compared to its competitors, not really. As i stated before, my dad has an escalade, a current gen, and my old nav was comparable on most surfaces. My expy now blows it away in ride and comfort, and i honestly think the armada rides better than the expy on its std springs(ccd expys are the best riding fss). As far as engine goes, the std 3.5l is way better than the 5.3l in terms of performance. The plat 3.5l is very comparable to the 6.2l, its not a big of diff as you may believe, or atleast to me. The toyota and nissan trucks are also competitive to the 6.2l as well. I admit i havent driven a gm on its std sus set up, but a denali is identical to the escalade in terms of drive and the gm is showing its age. I will say i still believe gms are the better handlers, they always handled their size quite well despite having solid rear axles. Ford is gonna have their hands full when the new gms suvs with irs comes out. I still dnt kno why car and driver is so nuts over the gls.

I agree. I had a 2009 Escalade with the 6.2 and aside from the cylinder deactivation and start/stop feature it comes with now, the motor is pretty much unchanged. It gained a few horses and some torque but nothing substantial. GM needs to do something fresh with their Powertrains desperately. But they’re not going to. They’re just gonna throw a diesel in the mix to add another option.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition