So... What do ya'll think of my custom rear guard?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Geeze... I thought this was a forum with MEN and TRUCKS

Yea were men/women with trucks but we're also responsible adults and most of us are fathers and mothers who intend to protect their families and kids.

We are a strong nit family on this site we are just looking out for each other in the end.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If this should head in a non professional direction from this point in time I will delete it.
Lets be professional, keeping it clean & avoiding name calling.

Thor has spoken...

Last edited:

whitelightning99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that looks great on there Do you got a up close pic of the mounting brackets ?

cman1120

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that looks great on there Do you got a up close pic of the mounting brackets ?
I wish I could take credit, but the truck is not owned by me. I saved a few pictures of it for inspiration for mine months ago.

Here is a screenshot of a thread started over on FTE, about his rig. Same guy, he may still be around there and you could ask him. May send him a PM myself in the future lol ed3e36eef30e9747e1f0b0e2cc1f7b2d.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Edit; on further inspection it looks like the brackets actually pass under the plastic bumper cover, and attach to the frame somewhere nearby. You can just barely make them out in the picture

OP
OP
CertusExpo

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
cman1120, Is that pic Photoshopped or is that an actual thing and if it is real, how is it mounted?

cman1120

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is a real picture, someone on FTE (another forum I am part of; don't know if I am allowed to link or not) made it, front and rear. It is mounted with brackets which appear to pass under the rear bumper plastic, and mount to the frame somewhere. In the reply above, I posted a screenshot of the thread so it can be searched- he can tell you a lot more than I lol

Here is a side on picture, which shows some of the brackets7886f374e37afb46a9adf3260d30812c.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks nifty but I don't think I'd want to deal with the liability of it. I mean if someone strikes that its going to split a bumper which could prevent the design of the vehicle from protecting the occupant of the vehicle hitting you opening you up to liability. Worse yet if a cyclist or motorcyclist hit you then fell on that and impaled themselves you could be liable. People can sue for to much stuff these days to make teaching someone a lesson worth doing. Plus I wouldn't want it for the one time I'm backing and didn't see someone and did 10x more damage than my bumper would. I mean seriously, someone hitting your hitch is bad enough. Guaranteed to go through a bumper and radiator ;) Plus I take my hitch off when not using it. Smacked my knees and shins on it to many times to leave them installed.

OP
OP
CertusExpo

CertusExpo

Reaction score
Okay, been driving all over DFW non-stop. Get a lot of curious looks, a lot of Jeep dudes give me thumbs up and I even helped someone that was partially stuck in the fast lane.
A LEO pulled in behind me a few minutes later and ran blocker with his vehicle and lights.

HE LIKED IT and wants to get something made like it (Like I said, it's a part off a Caterpillar grader) for his wife's Tahoe.

As far as the liability from being hit. I've noticed a pleasant result. At red lights, cars are staying farther from my rear end. LOL, I think they're scared of even accidentally being pushed into it.

OP
OP
CertusExpo

CertusExpo

Reaction score
I'm now considering having something made for the front end (Not spiky) again using solid 2x2 square stock that will go side to side and bolt into the tow hook mounts in place of the tow hooks with two Smittybuilt Beaver Steps welded to the front of it extending out where the tow hooks should be.