SoCal Offroad Trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey, just thought we could move this conversation into its own thread instead of snakin other threads. So panda, when do you think you would want to help put in a new half shaft? it could be a few hours. we can take the truck to the hobby shop on base and use their lifts and everything. that should make it easier. i changed the rear diff fluid...easy day. read the thread i posted in the how-to section. if you want help, just let me know. it was just as easy as changing motor oil.

I was going to just take it in to get a new half shaft put in but they want about 200 bucks to do it and i can get a remanned shaft for 50 bucks at NAPA.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
o another thing about the trail. you are going to get some pin striping. i repeat you ARE going to get pin striping. its a not very well know trail so the bushes lean over the trail and sometimes its the only line you can take is the line with the trees and bushes. so if you dont want pin stripes then wax it right after. and i can help anytime this week during the week if that works best for you. i can do everyday except friday. going to sea world with the girl friend. and im also a little low on money. hooters ate it all. so my diff will have to wait a little longer. maybe i can ask my dad for the fluid and gaskit and we can do it this week while we do your truck maybe. but also the trail is going to be dusty and hott.

OP
OP
nvycrmn

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
not available this week. i will have to try and figure out a good date. what about next weekend..weekend of the 31st? we can do your diff and my half shafts on the same day. the half shaft is gonna take a few hours from what im told. we can do it at the hobby shop on base and use their lifts and stuff. might make it a little easier.

man, dont know about the pin striping. that stuff shows up BAD on black trucks.....

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the 31st? maybe. ill have to check with the girl friend first. and itll probley just take a while to take everything apart and put it back together. the shaft shouldnt be to long to do its self. just getting to it.

and as of pin striping i know. my paint sucks for it too. cause it is a dark red. a little buffing will hopefully get it out.

drtj

Reaction score
is there a special type fluid that goes into the rear end other than regular 90w

drtj

Reaction score
nevermind found it in the how-to you did.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
By pin striping do you mean scratches or what? Are you guys talking about working on your trucks the 31st or hitting the trail?

OP
OP
nvycrmn

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
smooth, talking about workin on the truck on the 31st. we are going to wait till you get back for the offroad trip. although i have been looking at pics and not sure about the alpine trail. seems really narrow and im not too thrilled about getting a bunch of scratches on it. paint isnt in greatest condition but those scratches show up pretty bad in black. besides, i dont want to run over a mountain biker! you have any other places in mind panda? i really want to plan a trip oct 15th for azusa canyon. we can do the creek crossing and play in the outskirts of the mud. dont have to get in really thick. if a stock FJ can do it, so can we. Plus i have a buddy that wants to bring his stock FJ and play with us at azusa if we go.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
working on the trucks the 31st. and yeah its quite narrow in some places. and pin striping is scratches. its preety bad. ill head over there sometime this week or next and check it out. see how bad it is. i dont know any other closer trails. there is one called the wal-mart trail around that same area, but its closed from the way i know how to go and my cousin is being lame and doesnt want to show me the other entrance. and yeah well wait for you smooth. and October 15th? that weekend. that would be kool. doing the creek and out skirts. dont want to much mud. just enough.

OP
OP
nvycrmn

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well i might still be down for alpine, as long as it isnt too bad. have to think about it. yes, the trip to azusa would be just to do the creek crossing and play in the lighter mud. nothing too deep. we would look like dummies with our 35's and whatnot!