SPD Downpipe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, they make an exhaust for the Raptor. I was going to inquire whether they would sell a muffler separately and let an exhaust shop handle the remainder of the plumbing. But waiting till my warranty is up before I do anything.

That Raptor exhaust is true dual all the way front to back, just like the Navigator, so there's not much in common with an Expedition exhaust. You can make anything work, but it could be a huge headache adapting.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That Raptor exhaust is true dual all the way front to back, just like the Navigator, so there's not much in common with an Expedition exhaust. You can make anything work, but it could be a huge headache adapting.

Couldn't a muffler shop just run 3" all the way back from the downpipes and weld in the muffler and resonator?

OP
OP
Brian Kile

Brian Kile

Reaction score
So I ended up getting it into a local mechanic that was recommended to me. It ended up costing about $300 with tax etc. They told me that it would be about a 2-hour job, then added 30 min to let the exhaust cool before getting started. All said and done I was hanging around the shop for about 7 hours! That I was not happy about, but at least they didn't change the charge on me. They did have to unbolt the cross member to get the old downpipe out (it's all one piece). Other than that, it was a pretty straightforward bolt-on. They didn't know the torque specs either and SPD has still yet to reply to me, but they made sure to get them tight in there. At first, there was very little difference in idle volume. Turbo sound has significantly increased, which I like, when you get in the throttle now you can actually hear them spooling up. Cold starts have started to have some more volume to them, it seems like once it warms up, it still sounds quiet at idle, I was definitely hoping for more exhaust volume, but it is what it is, it can be heard in the cabin more now than before for sure. As far as performance goes, I'm still experimenting with it. I had some issues with the initial tune which was the performance tune (I have been randomly getting a charging system error after installing a new tune), I re-tuned with the stock tune and then a daily / tow tune. I've noticed less turbo lag, but it is also noticeably slower than with the performance tune installed. I will re-flash with performance and then go back to 5-Star with some feedback to get it dialed in. Overall I'm very happy with the truck though, intake, intercooler, and downpipes, she's fast, sounds pretty good, and hauls everything I need!

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I ended up getting it into a local mechanic that was recommended to me. It ended up costing about $300 with tax etc. [...] Overall I'm very happy with the truck though, intake, intercooler, and downpipes, she's fast, sounds pretty good, and hauls everything I need!

Thanks for sharing! What are your IAT1 and IAT2 temps during normal driving? I'm curious to see what impact the intercooler had. I normally see a 20 - 30 degree increase.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Make. Sure you get back under there with 50 to 100 miles on and some heating/cooling cycles to re-torque and/or tighten the clamps. They tend to loosen up initially. On my previous vehicles I would then check them every other oil change.

I'm waiting to find out if my trivia will get replaced first, but will be doing mine soon I hope.

OP
OP
Brian Kile

Brian Kile

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! What are your IAT1 and IAT2 temps during normal driving? I'm curious to see what impact the intercooler had. I normally see a 20 - 30 degree increase.

I am about to take a road trip this afternoon, so I will log it and get back with you!

OP
OP
Brian Kile

Brian Kile

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Make. Sure you get back under there with 50 to 100 miles on and some heating/cooling cycles to re-torque and/or tighten the clamps. They tend to loosen up initially. On my previous vehicles I would then check them every other oil change.

I'm waiting to find out if my trivia will get replaced first, but will be doing mine soon I hope.

Definitely! I did a remote start this morning and it has definitely increased in volume over the last week or so, I don't think it's a leak, but I want to get down there and check to make sure!

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds good, I'm excited to do mine (well kind of, looks like a pain in the ass install) especially on ramps and by myself.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was reading that these pipes will not pass emissions even thought they are catted... what's your plan if that's the case? Swap back stock pipe?