Straight pipe, no muffler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DR3W

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im wondering how a straight pipe would sound. My engine sounds almost like an electric hybrid or something! I wana remove my stock exhuast, but dont have the money for a new one that i want right now (flowmaster 40 probably). But if i remove the stock muffler right after the cats and just run straight pipe to the tip, does anybody know how this will sound or have done it? Just thinking about it :) Thanks

2000 xlt 4x2
4.6L 170k miles

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
look it up on youtube. There are a few videos of the first gen with straight pipe and they don't sound to bad.

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have my V10 excursion straight piped and i LOVE it. i've been debating on doing to my expedition also but i think i want it alittle more mellow as to not piss off all the houses around me lol i'm sure on a V8 it would sound down right mean...the V10 has a very different but i think great sound.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is a video of mine. I have the stock 4 cats on with a Y and dual 2 1/4 inch pipes with 3 1/2 inch tips that exit at 45s from each corner. It has a great idle, and really loud and throaty when you get on it, and as long as you are listening to some tunes while driving down the highway, you'll never hear it.

http://fordexpeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=104

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im running rear cat delete with a glass pack and single exit for now will be dualed someday....

the glass pack gets rid of the crackle but doesn't cut down on the sound

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dr3w you're in cali you cant legally do it. but if your next smog test isn't for awhile you can try until its time for test then you have to put one on. but be careful the cops can ticket you for it. especially since it will be a lot louder than stock.

OP
OP
DR3W

DR3W

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh yeah, was wondering about that. Thanks alot. Just gunna save up for a flowmaster, thanks guys :)

2000 xlt 4x2
4.6L 170k miles

P.s. Recently lifted with new rims/tires. Post new pics asap!

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dr3w i know you are in San bernardino check out

http://spintechmufflers.com/

they are in riverside. and supply mufflers to the midget and sprint car racers on the west coast. they have a nice dual exhaust system for 1st genssince 1st gen have same suspension setups as f150s

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
straight pipe is loud and sounds sick... I would do it but need it too be a little more mellow.. so the flowmaster 40s and true duals are the way I went.....also rear cat delete... glad I am not in Cali...lol

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
okay heres how cali laws work. some parts of cali dont have smog! like ramona and julian. so yeah! haha but most parts of cali do have smog. or is it that they dont have to have a smog on a dyno... who knows. either way smog laws is by city, but most by state. of just give the guy a $20 and youll be good. ahah