Stuck on the side of the road with transmission leak, any suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I really hate how everything is blamed on covid but I don't think anything foreign or domestic is safe right now. I know your Nav was pre-covid but the service, support, and parts are all still affected by covid. I think its a crappy excuse but its facts of life. I have issues with equipment we sell that is foreign and domestic, some companies suck at taking care of the end user and some are good. I've been dealing with one manufacturer (just sent the VP and email actually) that has been terrible to work with, I've been dealing with the issue for 6 months now and they can't get it resolved. Their entire sales and support staff changed during covid and now they are terrible to work with. I can only imagine that the same garbage is happening everywhere right now.

While its very unfortunate, when you were getting quick quality service you were liking your Nav pretty good. Once the quick and quality service disappeared its no longer so fun. I know you picked up a yota and I hope you have better luck there! My FIL's Highlander has been to the shop more than all my vehicles combined and they hardly use the highlander. I mean one time they picked it up and the guy told them he didn't know if he got the issue fixed and to come back if it was still doing it. They didn't make it home before turning around. I don't know that you are safe with any manufacturer right now.
I think Covid plays a role, but not the virus itself… instead, the response to it. To to be completely honest, Covid has become the excuse to hide the decades of poor decisions made by leadership exporting manufacturing overseas and letting labor unions make demands that have pushed domestic automakers to more aggressive cost saving strategies. This coupled with ever tightening CAFE standards also forcing auto makers to ditch reliability in search of better MPG. We have had the honor of watching the worlds most dominant automotive powerhouse to be completely destroyed and turned into a shell of itself.

I did purchase a Toyota, a 2021 Land Cruiser. These are built to completely different standards than the rest of the Toyota line as they have to meet standards for use for governments and the UN. The quality is undoubtedly there and I’m impressed every time I get behind the wheel, it helps that we put a Highlander’s coat worth of modifications on it. However, we also just out a deposit down on a Toyota Sienna, I am very apprehensive about this purchase but when compared to the other options in this class we made the best buying decision. We wanted an AWD model and the only other manufacturer that builds a AWD mini van is Chrysler… need I say more on that decision, not exactly a Sophie’s choice.

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update 1/9

Got a call from Lincoln Concierge from the individual that’s been helping me. Her constant phone contact and updates has been so greatly appreciated throughout this process.

Vehicle should be picked up today and transferred to the local Ford dealership. This particular dealerships reviews for their service department make it sound like Mos Eisley… a wretched hive of scum and villainy. Let’s just say my confidence is still low.

Also, the Concierge had not received my text messages I sent her earlier today which is troubling. I have no email address for her, only this text message contact and a phone number with extension. I’d prefer to have some texts so I have everything in writing.

Also, no decision on them buying this thing back. I already know the answer but I can help but to hold out hope.

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update 1/10

It appears my Navigator has been picked up by transport and is in the move. The ability to track via the Lincoln app is really handy since my Lincoln concierge contact has stopped returning my calls… I’ve called twice and left voicemails asking for updates on buy back, rental car, and concerns over the abysmal reviews on the service center the car is being towed to.

The vehicle spent the night at the most sketchy location in Spartanburg, SC… someone would be doing me a favor if they decided to strip it for parts and leave the carcass by the train tracks. Unfortunately, I do not believe I am lucky enough to be so easily relieved from this anchor of annoyance I’ve been dragging around for nye on 26 days and counting.

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update 1/13

Vehicle arrived to local dealership one day late. I called and spoke with service manager and told him the story of what the car was doing just before it starting puking fluid and brought him up to speed on the other issues the vehicle exhibited during all 4x4 modes.

He stated it’s already on the lift and being looked at. I asked about transmission part availability and he said some stuff is available and some stuff is on “galactic backorder”.

At 27 days without a vehicle Lincoln has graciously approved a rental for 10 days with approval required for every day after that.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A buddy many yrs ago had a similar issue. Finally after years of puking transmission fluid an old grizzled guy in a dealer shop asked if anyone had ever checked the cooler to see if it was blocked. Yup faulty cooler right from the factory. He had that Explorer another 8 yrs no issues probably had 300,000 on it when he sold it

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update 1/13

Vehicle arrived to local dealership one day late. I called and spoke with service manager and told him the story of what the car was doing just before it starting puking fluid and brought him up to speed on the other issues the vehicle exhibited during all 4x4 modes.

He stated it’s already on the lift and being looked at. I asked about transmission part availability and he said some stuff is available and some stuff is on “galactic backorder”.

At 27 days without a vehicle Lincoln has graciously approved a rental for 10 days with approval required for every day after that.

Today is day 69 that my Expedition has been parked at my authorized Ford dealer, awaiting a national back-ordered steering gear part.

It has also been under a potential fire HVAC safety recall since August 2022, with parts initially projected to be available by March 2023. Recently Ford extended the parts availability time until June 2023.

I’m convinced that Ford and its dealers have little or no concern for their customers.

I wish you nothing but good luck - but have a feeling you are going to get more frustrated like I am.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I then had to return it after 10-days, and the dealer provided a 2016 Ford Focus with 103,000 miles on it - and the interior reeks of smoke.

When I bought my truck I had a bunch of problems day 1 and so I spent quite a bit of time at the dealership over the first couple weeks. Every day I saw the elderly woman from the cashier's office go out to the lot and sit in the same loaner to have a smoke. When I finally got fed up enough about the return trips to demand that they keep the truck and give me a loaner, the only one available (4-5 on the lot, but only 1 available to me) was the same one that woman had been smoking in multiple times per day every day for who knows how many years. :mad: (p.s. Every loaner, including that one, had multiple stickers in and on the vehicle saying "No smoking" and threatening a fee if you did so.)

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I bought my truck I had a bunch of problems day 1 and so I spent quite a bit of time at the dealership over the first couple weeks. Every day I saw the elderly woman from the cashier's office go out to the lot and sit in the same loaner to have a smoke. When I finally got fed up enough about the return trips to demand that they keep the truck and give me a loaner, the only one available (4-5 on the lot, but only 1 available to me) was the same one that woman had been smoking in multiple times per day every day for who knows how many years. :mad: (p.s. Every loaner, including that one, had multiple stickers in and on the vehicle saying "No smoking" and threatening a fee if you did so.)
Thats just a trash 3rd party dealer and example why the dealer model needs to go away.

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Today is day 69 that my Expedition has been parked at my authorized Ford dealer, awaiting a national back-ordered steering gear part.

It has also been under a potential fire HVAC safety recall since August 2022, with parts initially projected to be available by March 2023. Recently Ford extended the parts availability time until June 2023.

I’m convinced that Ford and its dealers have little or no concern for their customers.

I wish you nothing but good luck - but have a feeling you are going to get more frustrated like I am.
Every day that goes by I’m leaning more and more to this realization.

It’s unacceptable and we have zero recourse m. It’s literally a ‘bend over and take it” scenario.