Stuck on the side of the road with transmission leak, any suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update;

I spoke with Lincoln Concierge in the hopes of having them move the vehicle to a closer dealership and give me a loaner. The person was very empathetic but couldn’t really offer any help past what’s already been offered. Her best offer was anything over 10 days on a loaner “may” be covered by Lincoln on “good faith”, same thing with the long distance transfer to my local dealer… a bunch of maybe because of “good faith” talk.

My local dealer said the don’t have any loaners anyway and it would be 4-6 weeks before they could look at it. I can’t even get a call back from them now.

I also am waiting on a call back from the dealer it’s currently at, I need to get some stuff out of it on our way back home and I want to ask a few other questions.

At this point I’m not sure what I want to do. In a perfect world they would buy it at fair market value and I move on but I believe that’s a fantasy right now. I also don’t expect much out of their “good faith” talk. This all sucks, I’m a stay at home dad without a daily vehicle and it looks like Lincoln is in no hurry to do anything for me.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update;

I spoke with Lincoln Concierge in the hopes of having them move the vehicle to a closer dealership and give me a loaner. The person was very empathetic but couldn’t really offer any help past what’s already been offered. Her best offer was anything over 10 days on a loaner “may” be covered by Lincoln on “good faith”, same thing with the long distance transfer to my local dealer… a bunch of maybe because of “good faith” talk.

My local dealer said the don’t have any loaners anyway and it would be 4-6 weeks before they could look at it. I can’t even get a call back from them now.

I also am waiting on a call back from the dealer it’s currently at, I need to get some stuff out of it on our way back home and I want to ask a few other questions.

At this point I’m not sure what I want to do. In a perfect world they would buy it at fair market value and I move on but I believe that’s a fantasy right now. I also don’t expect much out of their “good faith” talk. This all sucks, I’m a stay at home dad without a daily vehicle and it looks like Lincoln is in no hurry to do anything for me.

I’m sorry you’re having this issue - and wish you nothing but the best.

I’m in a similar situation (defective steering rack on national backorder - now in the 7th week) - and it is clear that Ford and its dealers have no concern for their customers. Dealer communication has been dismal and I’ve received numerous stories about the matter from them.

I use my Expedition almost daily, including five days a week with multiple grandchildren to and from different schools. Snow and freezing rain is forecast and I’m sure going to miss my large 4WD vehicle.

Good luck - and keep us updated.

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I’m in a similar situation (defective steering rack on national backorder - now in the 7th week) - and it is clear that Ford and its dealers have no concern for their customers. Dealer communication has been dismal and I’ve received numerous stories about the matter from them.

I use my Expedition almost daily, including five days a week with multiple grandchildren to and from different schools. Snow and freezing rain is forecast and I’m sure going to miss my large 4WD vehicle.

What are you driving instead? Did they give you a vehicle to drive? I’d be a little less out off if they wouldn’t leave me car less.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

My Ford ESP plan pays for a 10-day rental (after the first day) - and I went through Enterprise. They only had a Lexus 300NX small AWD SUV, & gave it to me for the rental plan price limit.

I have never driven a Lexus, and although smaller, it was perfect. The interior and exterior fit-and-finish was perfect. The seats were extremely comfortable.

I then had to return it after 10-days, and the dealer provided a 2016 Ford Focus with 103,000 miles on it - and the interior reeks of smoke. It is considered a sevice-loaner, and the service advisor said Ford is paying for it since the part has been back ordered so long.

EDIT: Ford Fusion (not a Focus).

Last edited:

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Ford ESP plan pays for a 10-day rental (after the first day) - and I went through Enterprise. They only had a Lexus 300NX small AWD SUV, & gave it to me for the rental plan price limit.

I have never driven a Lexus, and although smaller, it was perfect. The interior and exterior fit-and-finish was perfect. The seats were extremely comfortable.

I then had to return it after 10-days, and the dealer provided a 2016 Ford Focus with 103,000 miles on it - and the interior reeks of smoke. It is considered a sevice-loaner, and the service advisor said Ford is paying for it since the part has been back ordered so long.
Oh my, that's insane. A focus. What a piece and smells like smoke, I'd be so pissed. I feel for you all, and frankly i'm scared to death of having issue myself right now. I get it times are tough, but it sure seems like Ford is using every excuse they can right now. IMO, they are taking every part they have an trying to push out orders, while knowingly starving the community of replacement parts. maybe they hope all of their poor quality will just pass in the coming year or two, everyone that's stranded will just move on. I mean I can't believe it, that folks are waiting two months for steering components. Come one, I sort of understood the whole semi-conductor thing, but last i checked there isn't a RISC chip in a steering rack. New years wish for me, please go at least 6 months without a major issue, please!

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was in a similar situation. A few months back the trans starting making noise 700 miles from home after getting off the highway. It slipped, whined to death and banged just about every gear and every light possible illuminated with the same info via the App. I coasted off the road to save the trans and didn’t drive the car. This was on a weekend and a Friday night with my three kids in the car. As soon as the dealer opened next week, I limped the car there since it sort of drove when the trans was cold and it was a down hill one mile ride. When I got to the local dealer, they informed it’s my bad luck - they don’t have a Certified 10 speed transmission tech and can only replace the entire trans and not rip it down for a possible rebuild like Ford always wants. I rented a car to get on my way. Called Ford and informed I’m under Warranty and not my fault their dealer who is a franchise authorized to honor the Warranty cannot repair the vehicle and I did the right thing getting the car to the closest dealer not destroying anything further. They finally agreed to ship my car to my normal servicing dealer at no cost. it’s got to be embarrassing a trans that came out in 2017 still has a dealer in the world that has no one trained or certified to repair it. I did have to argue and hold my ground that I’m only a customer that did the right thing and not my fault taking it to an authorized dealer and under Warranty. Fast forward then the car gets to my local dealer and they only have one certified trans tech and he goes on vacation as soon as my car lands. No we’re on 6 weeks and the trans pan hasn’t even been removed. I asked for the entire trans at the first dealer to be replaced to them and Ford customer care after hearing what sounds it made and showing them my price over the counter from Ford was around $2900 but they informed their policy is to remove the trans and disassemble and they were firm on it. Another two months later, my local normal dealer rebuilt the trans. When I got the car back, I ran the parts replaced versus the cost and parts alone was over $4k with no labor not including the 700 mile tow that must have cost a few hundred dollars as well. All that for a $2900 trans and 5-10 hours labor to replace which looks to cost them $5-6k. They then sent me a “gift card” for the rentals I paid for after I submitted receipts over that period that had an expiration date. Yes - a gift card and not even a check to pay the rental bills. I also submitted for trip interruption money I spent and they wouldn’t budge on that. My learning experience is it’s money saving Policy over a customer at Ford. The end result was the C D F clutch drum in the trans failed (steel bushing shifted in the aluminum drum since its not secured other than a press fit) and was the main failure that left me stuck. Seems to be this is becoming a common 10r80 10 speed problem once they hit about 60-70k miles.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was in a similar situation. A few months back the trans starting making noise 700 miles from home after getting off the highway. It slipped, whined to death and banged just about every gear and every light possible illuminated with the same info via the App. I coasted off the road to save the trans and didn’t drive the car. This was on a weekend and a Friday night with my three kids in the car. As soon as the dealer opened next week, I limped the car there since it sort of drove when the trans was cold and it was a down hill one mile ride. When I got to the local dealer, they informed it’s my bad luck - they don’t have a Certified 10 speed transmission tech and can only replace the entire trans and not rip it down for a possible rebuild like Ford always wants. I rented a car to get on my way. Called Ford and informed I’m under Warranty and not my fault their dealer who is a franchise authorized to honor the Warranty cannot repair the vehicle and I did the right thing getting the car to the closest dealer not destroying anything further. They finally agreed to ship my car to my normal servicing dealer at no cost. it’s got to be embarrassing a trans that came out in 2017 still has a dealer in the world that has no one trained or certified to repair it. I did have to argue and hold my ground that I’m only a customer that did the right thing and not my fault taking it to an authorized dealer and under Warranty. Fast forward then the car gets to my local dealer and they only have one certified trans tech and he goes on vacation as soon as my car lands. No we’re on 6 weeks and the trans pan hasn’t even been removed. I asked for the entire trans at the first dealer to be replaced to them and Ford customer care after hearing what sounds it made and showing them my price over the counter from Ford was around $2900 but they informed their policy is to remove the trans and disassemble and they were firm on it. Another two months later, my local normal dealer rebuilt the trans. When I got the car back, I ran the parts replaced versus the cost and parts alone was over $4k with no labor not including the 700 mile tow that must have cost a few hundred dollars as well. All that for a $2900 trans and 5-10 hours labor to replace which looks to cost them $5-6k. They then sent me a “gift card” for the rentals I paid for after I submitted receipts over that period that had an expiration date. Yes - a gift card and not even a check to pay the rental bills. I also submitted for trip interruption money I spent and they wouldn’t budge on that. My learning experience is it’s money saving Policy over a customer at Ford. The end result was the C D F clutch drum in the trans failed (steel bushing shifted in the aluminum drum since its not secured other than a press fit) and was the main failure that left me stuck. Seems to be this is becoming a common 10r80 10 speed problem once they hit about 60-70k miles.
Hopefully after Elon Musk buys Ford everything will be better.

Emilner

Reaction score
What were your symptoms? How did you know it was low on fluid? We just got our 2019 Nav back a month ago after having the transmission slip out of gear and bang hard after 1.5 hrs on the highway. They changed the valve body and a number of other things. I was reading and heard of overheat conditions so on our next trip I put the trailer tow info on the screen and watched. For the first 80 minutes it was 212-216 degrees and then wham, it quickly went up to as high at 244. Started slipping out of gear bad. I was not in an area I could pull over easy so I limped along and saw smoke in my rearview. Luckily I was 1 mile to an exit and I pulled out and parked it with the heater blasting to cool things down. Once I got tempos below 215 I went back on the highway and kept it at 65mph with the heater rocking and it stayed at 201-205 degrees. Went back to the dealer and they found a rear main seal leak and a few minor things. I told them that wouldn't cause the overheat situation and they were of no help, basically saying this is what the book tells us to do. I mentioned the thermostat could be the cause and the service manager felt that was unlikely. Soooo, heading back upstate NY next week where I am sure to have another issue. Fun times.

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the 700 mile tow that must have cost a few hundred dollars as well.
Lincoln road side service wanted to charge me $1,100 to tow mine the remaining 140 or so miles past the free miles they offer. I said “no” and now it sits 140 miles away in another city at a dealership that is full of other cars waiting on parts.

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What were your symptoms? How did you know it was low on fluid? We just got our 2019 Nav back a month ago after having the transmission slip out of gear and bang hard after 1.5 hrs on the highway. They changed the valve body and a number of other things. I was reading and heard of overheat conditions so on our next trip I put the trailer tow info on the screen and watched. For the first 80 minutes it was 212-216 degrees and then wham, it quickly went up to as high at 244. Started slipping out of gear bad. I was not in an area I could pull over easy so I limped along and saw smoke in my rearview. Luckily I was 1 mile to an exit and I pulled out and parked it with the heater blasting to cool things down. Once I got tempos below 215 I went back on the highway and kept it at 65mph with the heater rocking and it stayed at 201-205 degrees. Went back to the dealer and they found a rear main seal leak and a few minor things. I told them that wouldn't cause the overheat situation and they were of no help, basically saying this is what the book tells us to do. I mentioned the thermostat could be the cause and the service manager felt that was unlikely. Soooo, heading back upstate NY next week where I am sure to have another issue. Fun times.
I’ve had weird stuff going on but I can’t 100% say it’s trans related. Mine has been skipping when I’m 4 wheel drive, it’s been in for this issue several times at 2 different dealers. Every time they reprogram or replace stuff and it’s never been fixed. I can get my service paper work out and post more detailed info, there’s a lot of work that’s been performed.

Idk if it’s low on fluid or not, I do know the entire underside is covered with fluid and it was dumping out while parked after the temps shot up.

Your temp issue is similar to mine and I debated on driving the thing back toward home after it cooled off but I had my wife and kids with me and we just crossed some
mountains, which likely exacerbated whatever my issues were.