stupid expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So far in the last month I broke my trany, broke some studs off my exhaust manifolds and now the end of my dipstick somehow fell off in the oil pan. My running total so far is 3000$ for trany 1000$ for headers and not sure about the dip stick. I think I may light it on fire tonight.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
So far in the last month I broke my trany, broke some studs off my exhaust manifolds and now the end of my dipstick somehow fell off in the oil pan. My running total so far is 3000$ for trany 1000$ for headers and not sure about the dip stick. I think I may light it on fire tonight.

Well... you could blame the tranny issue on the increased torque with the supercharger. Rusted broken studs, very common. End of dipstick falling off ?! Now that's a new one on me. LOL..

Sorry.. :(

Just personally never heard of that before.

OP
OP
superexpy

superexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im having a shop put on the headers the day after christmas. I called around to see what people charged and either no one wanted to do it or they said 1000 a side. Usually id just do it myself but i dont have a welder and my luck id break every stud at the block and be screwed in my garage. It is a lot more torky with the trany. Its kind of weird tho because what ever updates they did to my trany, now it shifts at 48ish RPMs. It use to down shift at 35mph and 70mph and now its 30 and 65 mph. I know a tuner can fix that but I dont have one arond here except the place im taking it for my headers and they want around a 1000$ because ill need to go SCT and dyno time.

I also googled the dip stick thing and I guess its common so everyone pull your stick and yank the tip to see if its loose. One good thing about mine is its led so it should just sit in the bottom of my pan till someday I change my rod bearings....

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
a $1000? A side?!?!

wow, that's crazy. Does that at least include the parts?

As far as the tuner, you don't need dyno time unless you are getting a full custom tune. I know the SCT handhelds are well under $400 and their boxed tunes will do just fine unless you have something beyond just the basic bolt ons. And let you set your shift points yourself.

While I cannot attest to it personally, my understanding is that a set of shorty headers would fall into the basic bolt on category, but if you were going with a set of full length headers and a very hugh flow dual exhaust, then a custom tune would be in order. But unless you have some other serious engine and fuel mods you'd probably be hurting your power (specifically torque) more than you would be helping.

Just my 2¢

OP
OP
superexpy

superexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
a $1000? A side?!?!

wow, that's crazy. Does that at least include the parts?

As far as the tuner, you don't need dyno time unless you are getting a full custom tune. I know the SCT handhelds are well under $400 and their boxed tunes will do just fine unless you have something beyond just the basic bolt ons. And let you set your shift points yourself.

While I cannot attest to it personally, my understanding is that a set of shorty headers would fall into the basic bolt on category, but if you were going with a set of full length headers and a very hugh flow dual exhaust, then a custom tune would be in order. But unless you have some other serious engine and fuel mods you'd probably be hurting your power (specifically torque) more than you would be helping.

Just my 2¢

It did not include parts. The place doing it now does include parts and I hope it stays under a 1000$

My truck is also supercharged. I have a lot of go fast parts on it and iv heard shorty headers wont really add any power. I just figured since im taking off the manifolds anyway to fix the broken stud i might as well put headers on it. The headers are BBK BTW.....

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$1k for the full job including parts sounds reasonable to me, I'd be happy with that.

Actually, it occured to me after the fact that your truck might be blown but never got back around to post until now. Since that is the case, I am surprised that you don't already have a tuner that will handle the shift point change.

And yeah, agreed with the shorties. I would/will do the same damn thing myself and would change to shorties if/when my manifolds go, just on principal - even though I would see nothing for gains with my bagged out NA mill... heh

OP
OP
superexpy

superexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$1k for the full job including parts sounds reasonable to me, I'd be happy with that.

Actually, it occured to me after the fact that your truck might be blown but never got back around to post until now. Since that is the case, I am surprised that you don't already have a tuner that will handle the shift point change.

And yeah, agreed with the shorties. I would/will do the same damn thing myself and would change to shorties if/when my manifolds go, just on principal - even though I would see nothing for gains with my bagged out NA mill... heh

I did have a tuner. Him and his dyno moved last year to some other state. Right now i have a diablo chip and no one around here seems to have a burner for it.

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We all go through times like these...
I had broke manifold bolts, then had the dipstick end fall off into pan.
Also had blowen plug... wanted to burn the thing to the ground..
But I kept it, and I'm happy so far...fingers crossed.

Good Luck.
Also good call on the BBK headers, I did Gibson wished I hadn't.

OP
OP
superexpy

superexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We all go through times like these...
I had broke manifold bolts, then had the dipstick end fall off into pan.
Also had blowen plug... wanted to burn the thing to the ground..
But I kept it, and I'm happy so far...fingers crossed.

Good Luck.
Also good call on the BBK headers, I did Gibson wished I hadn't.

Ahhh! Your list sounds like mine. I better go check all my plugs now.