Sure wish Ford would offer the 5.0 on the Expedition,Which F150 engine would a Ford Technician pick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$2200.00 for the F150, and in 1969, if you were making $15,000 yearly, you were doing well. Houses here in Daly City/Pacifica were $29,000 for a 3 bed 2 bath. It was just a simpler, better time. Same house in 2019 is right around $900,000. With pay around 80-125k, it's not enough. Scary huh!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

2 months of pay for a new truck? 2 years for a 3 bed 2 bath?

Well damn.....

Also on a side note, statistics suggest very few people actually make $125k

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some of us old guys still like a V 8 and it seems the guys who work on trucks agree hands down on an 8 to 2 ratio, AS for a MPG advantage there's not that much, my 2007 with the 5.4 that I bought new has just over 118,000 issue free miles still is getting just over19 MPG up here in the North woods of Wisconsin on the original spark plug's and its COLD this time of year, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nUCx5IQZro . DON'T MISS THE PUBLIC COMMENTS BELOW THE VIDEO ,come on Ford, How about giving us a choice like the F-150 buyer has.

Aside from its nostalgic value, V-8s have no use anymore. Twin-turbo V-6 gives you much more torque, horsepower, and less fuel consumption.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$2200.00 for the F150, and in 1969, if you were making $15,000 yearly, you were doing well. Houses here in Daly City/Pacifica were $29,000 for a 3 bed 2 bath. It was just a simpler, better time. Same house in 2019 is right around $900,000. With pay around 80-125k, it's not enough. Scary huh!

With inflation that F150 would cost around $15k today, that annual salary $100k and that house $201k. A lot of products are cheaper now but cars are not one of them.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I really like the 3.5L TT so far. As I was driving down I-87 south to Albany, NY behind 2 tractor trailers giving my Expy a salt water bath, I wondered about it's longevity. Would corrosion affect all the extra actuators and sensor associated with running a twin turbo?

Then I thought: If Toyota could engineer and build a reliable moderately priced vehicle that had 2 motors, one electric the other gas, a transmission that allowed one or the other or both to power it, plus utilize regenerative breaking or the gas motor or both to store electricity in a large battery and then decide whether to use battery power or gas power or both to move the vehicle all while being safe and unnoticed by the driver, then a twin turbo gas motor should be simple right?

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I really like the 3.5L TT so far. As I was driving down I-87 south to Albany, NY behind 2 tractor trailers giving my Expy a salt water bath, I wondered about it's longevity. Would corrosion affect all the extra actuators and sensor associated with running a twin turbo?

Then I thought: If Toyota could engineer and build a reliable moderately priced vehicle that had 2 motors, one electric the other gas, a transmission that allowed one or the other or both to power it, plus utilize regenerative breaking or the gas motor or both to store electricity in a large battery and then decide whether to use battery power or gas power or both to move the vehicle all while being safe and unnoticed by the driver, then a twin turbo gas motor should be simple right?

Turbochargers had a late coming to the US. They've widespread in the EU, where practically every single car is either a turbodiesel or a gas turbo.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
See Artie, this is the Bay area were talking about. Where nothing makes sense. Kids at 22 right out of engineering college for computer coding are in fact making $80,000, 6 year ones $125,000. The only places where housing inflation is on par with your theory is deep South, or Midwest. Everywhere else is double that or more. Top money earners set the bar for real estate. Sad part is, even with that much dinero, their not close. San Jose/Santa Clara is highest in nation, needing an income of $220,000 per annum to get a home. Crazy isn't it. But on the plus side, no snow, or extreme heat.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can make a 6 cylinder run like a convict that jumped the wall at Sing Sing, hell Hudson did it in 1953 with their twin carb 210 hp hornet. But a lot of people like the sound, and feel of a throaty V8/10/12. A 12 cylinder Ferrari at 8 grand, doesn't even need a stereo. Just makes you go wow, as it screams by. You don't get that with a 400 hp Expedition, even with a trick exaust setup. Sound is tribal, if that's the right word. Like Jeff's Kushners Kawasaki 500/750 triple Mach 3/4's at full throttle. It puts a chill in you when you hear it. It did with me at least. Almost 50 years later, I can still hear that wicked sound. You either get it, or you don't. Fortunately I get it!

OP
OP
P

poppie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Being as I started the discussion I might as will throw a little gas on the fire with this link below, NOTE the 5.0 got better MPG at the end of the video, QUOTE, ( The V8 showed a better 4.0 MPG on the climb versus the 3.5 MPG for the EcoBoost).To each his own but I like it simple and less complex = less expense in the long run, Also Note the 5.0 had a 3.15 rear end and the 3.5 TT had a 3.55 rear end which is a distinct advantage for the 3.5 TT , Who knows what the 5.0 could have had for times with the same 3.55 ear end the 3.5 TT had, The text ,https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/01/fo...rlds-toughest-towing-test-ike-gauntlet-video/ ,The video here, .

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw this, that video is hogwash. The 5.0 was equipped the the lousiest 3.15 rear end....hardly a comparison. Even with that fuel saver gear ratio it did fine. If anything the naturally aspirated engine at that altitude should have 3.73s....TFL never provides a fair comparison, they get press trucks.

TFL to date has yet to test a properly equipped 5.0 with 3.73s.

Last edited: