Sync 3 with apple car play

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
finally got around to installing sync 3 software version 3.0 in my wife’s 2016 limited. Picking up the usb upgrade for Apple car play tomorrow, ***** legit. Gonna be just like the 2019s

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
finally got around to installing sync 3 software version 3.0 in my wife’s 2016 limited. Picking up the usb upgrade for Apple car play tomorrow, ***** legit. Gonna be just like the 2019s

Wait till you run iOS 13, it allows you to run one app on Sync and another on the phone itself via CarPlay! Waze on the big screen, FORSCAN up on the phone watching gauges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 XTL with the 4" Sync Screen. Two questions.

1. Do I have Sync1 or Sync2 (How do I tell, I don't see Sync2 mentioned anywhere).
2. Is there a way for me to migrate up to a Sync3 system?

LRNAD90

Full Access Members
Reaction score

1. Do I have Sync1 or Sync2 (How do I tell, I don't see Sync2 mentioned anywhere).

Pretty sure that is just Microsoft Sync (so version 1 I'd guess). There is an upgrade path to the later versions, but it requires hardware as well as software, and the price is REALLY Steep..

https://www.infotainment.com/collec...-expedition-4-to-8-sync-3-touchscreen-upgrade

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went through this shortly after I got my 2016 last year.

If you have a 2016 you have to replace the USB hub in the center console. It is around $55-60 from dealers online. Retail List price Is $72. I tried the electrical tape over screwdriver trick and would not recommend it. Spend the under $10 for the nylon trim tools at Harbor Freight or Pepboys.

When you lift the old one out there is two molex connectors.

After the hub is installed it is easier to upgrade successfully by downloading the update from the Ford owners site. If you uncompressed it with the unzip built into macOS or with some zip tools on Windows it won’t keep the folder structure. Put it on a USB flash drive and follow the steps on the owner site.

Ford has a video here for doing it -
I went for a drive while it did the update instead of leaving it idling in the driveway.

OP
OP
16plati

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Not gonna work with 4” screen. That’s basic sync. You’ll need the 8” screen and extensive surgery to fit it in your console

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65