Sync 3 with apple car play

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 XTL with the 4" Sync Screen. Two questions.

1. Do I have Sync1 or Sync2 (How do I tell, I don't see Sync2 mentioned anywhere).
2. Is there a way for me to migrate up to a Sync3 system?

a lot of people are doing the 4-to-8" sync 3 upgrade. if you can source the parts through junkyards, and do the wiring changes yourself, you can do this mod for under $1000

MikeN

Reaction score
finally got around to installing sync 3 software version 3.0 in my wife’s 2016 limited. Picking up the usb upgrade for Apple car play tomorrow, ***** legit. Gonna be just like the 2019s
That’s amazing. I have a 16 max Limited and was told it is not possible to get the apple car play on mine, as well my maps are 2014 maps and useless as it gets.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That’s amazing. I have a 16 max Limited and was told it is not possible to get the apple car play on mine, as well my maps are 2014 maps and useless as it gets.

Any vehicle with Sync 3 is capable of CarPlay. The only issue is that the 1st gen of USB Hubs installed with Sync 3 didn’t have Apple certified chips. So a simple swap to a new hub, and boom, working CarPlay!!!

Did the swap on my 16 Edge, within a few months of getting it back in late 16. Helped several others do the swap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone know if a 2013 with Nav can be upgraded to Sync 3 & CarPlay?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Lot more involved. The 15-17 have mostly the same modules, so swapping 15’s to Sync 3 is pretty easy. Earlier, more trouble than it is worth.

You would be better off going with an aftermarket unit, like pioneer or Kenwood with CarPlay support. Would probably be cheaper also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Neil T Casey

Reaction score
@LokiWolf

Whats your thoughts on most economical way to swap the 15s? Ive seen aftermarket upgrade kits for around 1500 or 2K with navi that is just a direct replacement but seemed kinda pricey for me right now.