The 4th Gen is too Expensive... or maybe not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, they are too expensive, but so is every new car these days.

I'm not paying 60k+ for any vehicle. I do not see the increase in value over a used one in good shape for under $10K.

I just found a police package 04 XLT Expy, 4x4, in near show room condition, under 100k miles, for $6200 driven off the lot. I had it inspected by my mechanic; between some suspension repairs and tires, I'll spend another 2 grand on it this year. so I found what I wanted, that will last for years, for well under ten grand. Had I spent another 50 or 60, I would have gained nothing I needed or wanted.

I just do not see another 50 thousand dollars of value in a "new" car.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, they are too expensive, but so is every new car these days.

I'm not paying 60k+ for any vehicle. I do not see the increase in value over a used one in good shape for under $10K.

I just found a police package 04 XLT Expy, 4x4, in near show room condition, under 100k miles, for $6200 driven off the lot. I had it inspected by my mechanic; between some suspension repairs and tires, I'll spend another 2 grand on it this year. so I found what I wanted, that will last for years, for well under ten grand. Had I spent another 50 or 60, I would have gained nothing I needed or wanted.

I just do not see another 50 thousand dollars of value in a "new" car.

Somebody has to buy new so that you can buy used though.

You’re welcome. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Lots of good folks get saddled w a huge monthly payment under the guise and rationale of warranty vs paying for repairs, and ego of course.

Od rather put that money towards my 401K.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Because I’ve never settled for ‘fine’.
As long as it doesn't bother one to pay for top notch...
I get no ego trip from new. I do get pride trip from 'nice' and 'sweet' though...especially when it's old or unique.
I get much more ego trip and personal satisfaction from getting something very nice for a great low price or buying at great deal and having to put very little cash into it to make it 'nice'.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
As long as there's ego, they will have no shortage of buyers. An a** for every seat, so they say, and it's an economic choice. Our government inflates the money supply faster than we can even realize, so you can't fault makers for passing through the costs.

I prefer to let someone else foot the depreciation bill, but then I put financial independence ahead of ego.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As long as there's ego, they will have no shortage of buyers. An a** for every seat, so they say, and it's an economic choice. Our government inflates the money supply faster than we can even realize, so you can't fault makers for passing through the costs.

I prefer to let someone else foot the depreciation bill, but then I put financial independence ahead of ego.
Even if it's not for a financial Independence, I can find much better places to spend and even ways to waste the money I would save from not buying new.
I have never understood the mentality of buying new cars. I think for most it's simply just the convenience.
If you were to stand to car side by side, one brand-new and one slightly used or even a year or two old and look at the major price difference in most situations, I don't know why anyone would pick to spend more money on the new one.
Or take what you save by buying the used one and go by a cheap back and forth to work car or a used pick up truck just for the convenience of owning a truck.
I don't think some people have any clue what a nice dependable vehicle you can get for five to six grand and even much less.
There are tons of nice Dependable daily drivers in very good condition 3000 to $5,200.
Or with the money you save from buying used go pick up an old classic play toy car. There's great prices on older Vettes, IROC Z Camaros, 98-02 GM F bodies, even the old GT 5.0 Mustangs.

But then again, a huge percentage of new car buyers don't pay cash for these cars and most don't have the funds even if they wanted to.
The only reason most people can afford expensive cars is because of financing.
An extra 150 to 250 a month is doable for most people to have a nice new car versus an old car.
So it's not like they would ever actually see any of this money they save that I'm talking about.
Most people don't have the desire, or control to actually keep an older car an extra couple years or keep a used car with a lower payment and put the difference it would be spending for new into a separate savings account and then in 2 to 3 years they would have this extra money I'm talking about which should be more than enough to go buy a nice used vehicle or a second play vehicle.

How many people out there could keep their car 12 to 24 months after it's paid for and put the entire car payment in the bank? Almost everyone. But how many do? Very few. The ones that do keep the cars after payoff rarely save the same amount they were spending or even close to it.
As I said before, in the end, the result is the same. Everyone has a car and they use it how they want.
It is hard for each side to understand the other's.
I paid cash for almost every car I've ever purchased and I've never purchased a new one.
When I was 23 and had an extreme case of the I wants for a Corvette, I did Finance and over pay for a very nice low mile mint condition one.
I kept it 2 years and 3 months and detailed it and made it even better than it was when I bought it and didn't actually have to put any money into repairs in it.
I was able to sell it to another car collector and not only get all my money back but walk away with 600 or $700.
That was kind of lucky. It's not like I kept it enough years for it to appreciate in value.
It's not that I see cars as an investment but some people don't even consider getting much of the money back and I don't agree with that.
I get every pennies worth of what I pay for a car through the use of it and more times than not make money on them or sell them for almost as much as I paid for them after a few years.
There is absolutely no way I could buy a new car and get my money's worth out of what I spend for it even after selling it 4 what you would get out of it.
But this is where being the first owner of the car and having a new vehicle has more value to some people than others.

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Applauding all around. Good points in the long post, though more of a sermon than comment about the OP.
Is the 4th gen too expensive? It appears not as sales are extremely healthy and they're moving out the door. Vehicles in general are too expensive these days, but to Toby's point, it doesn't affect me much as I behave financially responsible even though my own choices don't make sense to others.
Personally don't care what others think, and I still won't when I retire early and continue living well, near spoiled.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Applauding all around. Good points in the long post, though more of a sermon than comment about the OP.
Is the 4th gen too expensive? It appears not as sales are extremely healthy and they're moving out the door. Vehicles in general are too expensive these days, but to Toby's point, it doesn't affect me much as I behave financially responsible even though my own choices don't make sense to others.
Personally don't care what others think, and I still won't when I retire early and continue living well, near spoiled.
Yes, but it's very sad when Society agrees that just because something is selling well enough it must be priced appropriately.
It would be a rule or law of Economics but Frugal / I mean Cheapskates like me don't like that.
Actually my posts aren't as much of sermon as they are just a fairly analytical and detailed explanation of the way I do things and why I do them and making sure to point out but I don't understand why other people do the things they do or the flaws I see in their choices.
If I were telling them I want them to change it would definitely be a sermon! LOL but I try to make sure to remember to put that it's their life and their money and they can do with it what they will choose.
I will admit that if there were previous lives, I believe I was a TV evangelist, an Entertainer, or being pulled through town on a large float trying to Rally up the troops for whatever I was trying to preach to them.