The dreaded front passenger clicking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Yep. Just noticed it. Definitely sounds like either IWE solenoid and/or actuator and/or the IWE’s themselves.

Are the IWE’s on these built into the hubs or are they separate parts that can be replaced?

Holding my breath because if you do one thing then you might as well do a bunch of other stuff while you’re in there.

Can-of-worms I tell ya.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are the IWE’s on these built into the hubs or are they separate parts that can be replaced?
You have no IWE.
Everything spins all the time. It might not be powered in the front (brown wire mod) or AWD, But that still does not change the fact,
Everything spins all the time.

Check stabilizer bar end links.

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
You have no IWE.
Everything spins all the time. It might not be powered in the front (brown wire mod) or AWD, But that still does not change the fact,
Everything spins all the time.

Check stabilizer bar end links.

My dial has AWD, 4Hi, 4Lo. I never switch it. It’s not suspension because it stops when I take foot off gas pedal and it goes away after 45mph. Noise frequency doesn’t increase in speed faster I go.

Stumped.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My dial has AWD, 4Hi, 4Lo. I never switch it. It’s not suspension because it stops when I take foot off gas pedal and it goes away after 45mph. Noise frequency doesn’t increase in speed faster I go.

Stumped.
Have also had that that mur, mur, shimmy at about 45 and no where else. Did a trans fluid filter change (only change the fluid that comes out when you drop pan) About 100 miles after that the 45 mph noise/shimmy will start to subside.

Start by looking at your fluid. pink brown or black which best describes your fluid? If it is dark your trans is already on borrowed time. If its pink or close to it, do the filter change.

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Have also had that that mur, mur, shimmy at about 45 and no where else. Did a trans fluid filter change (only change the fluid that comes out when you drop pan) About 100 miles after that the 45 mph noise/shimmy will start to subside.

Start by looking at your fluid. pink brown or black which best describes your fluid? If it is dark your trans is already on borrowed time. If its pink or close to it, do the filter change.

Its a clicky click....no mur, mur nor shimmy. Sounds like a playing card flapping on the spokes of a bicycle. Not super loud, stops when foot off gas. Not the transfer case, Im thinking wheel bearing.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Im thinking wheel bearing
One quick check for that, jack the front tires off the ground. (i put on jack stands)
See if there is play in the wheel strait up and down without the suspension moving.

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Installed new Motorcraft exhaust manifold, got it for $65 at some dealership in central Florida online. Purchased stainless steel hardware, and also metal gaskets vs the standard. This I'm sure will hold much better. Sounds nice and quiet.