Thinking of buying a 2003 Eddie Bauer, anything I should watch out for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Theirs nothing inflammatory or degrading here. If anything members are more than happy to help. Lately everyone on the forums been nice and not popping off. Seems like about once a month some bonehead comes online, then disappears when he's bored. That or the administrator gives him the heave ho. I'm sure we'll get a new one to surface soon.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the intermittent washer pump, try pulling plug going into it, disconnect battery scrub the connections then add some dielectric grease to plug connections. As you know from computers, corrosion causes most problems, with intermittent run/don't run situations. Crutchfields is your best place for stereo adapter plugs as well as your stereo itself. Local audio shops usually aren't much help.

Thankfully, due to me... killing the car while it was at the dealership (remember how the back wiper didn't work?) it has a brand new battery! Now, as much as I like the idea of a headunit, it seems I'll be losing a lot of features such as the rear audio and some other stuff if I happen to get it, and spending ~$200 for a new headunit which I have to install seems... a bit much, because if I mess something up then everything goes south. And, well, since I've spent all my saved up money on the car, I don't really have any money to buy a headunit with, so even if I did stick to my plan it's going to be at least august before I can buy it.

Therefore, what kind of troubleshooting can I do with the 6 CD changer? I'd much prefer to keep it instead, if it worked! For troubleshooting's purposes, this is what goes on with it-

If you press load, then select a slot (one through six) it will give an error instantly. At the dealership, when I messed with it for the first time, I tried to load a CD into it and the player opened the cover for the CD slot, seemed to be doing something, but then gave an error and refused to take any CDs.

I've heard online that taking off the positive battery terminal and then reconnecting it can 'reset' the CD player and make it work again, should I try that first along with fixing the washer pump? Also, where is the plug for the pump so I can check on it? Hell maybe it just needs some slightly bent pins like the mirror switch :)

This has GOTTA be a troll thread... right?

Well, uh, no... what made you think that?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Theirs lotsa used CD changers you can swap yours out with, on Ebay. if it comes down to it. Do you have the mach Stereo like mine? Or does yours say premium stereo on speakers? The Mach is pretty decent sound for stock. Theirs vendors online that can fix yours if you don't want to swap out the factory system. Does the radio play! I believe 2002 is last year for cassette/ radio in dash unit, with 6 disc changer in console. Is that what you have? 2003 started the full din size decks. Mine has what's known as din and a half, a weird size that requires a adapter plate if swapped from stock.

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Theirs lotsa used CD changers you can swap yours out with, on Ebay. if it comes down to it. Do you have the mach Stereo like mine? Or does yours say premium stereo on speakers? The Mach is pretty decent sound for stock. Theirs vendors online that can fix yours if you don't want to swap out the factory system. Does the radio play! I believe 2002 is last year for cassette/ radio in dash unit, with 6 disc changer in console. Is that what you have? 2003 started the full din size decks. Mine has what's known as din and a half, a weird size that requires a adapter plate if swapped from stock.

I think mine is a doubledin, and it's just CD and Radio. It's not the top end system, it's the second-best one, according to my manual which I was poking through earlier today. I suppose getting someone to repair it or replacing it would be better than trying to get an aftermarket one to replicate the stock feel, but both of those require taking it apart...

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try the resetting procedure you read about first. Pulling the deck from dash is easy. You'll need to buy or borrow the u shaped tools that you install on both sides of dash radio. Pulling the 6 disc changer from consoles not bad either, just always disconnect - battery cable before you start.

gregjenny9502

Reaction score
Pulling the radio is easy, the trim piece is pressed in, just gently pry it off. If I remember there are 4 screws holding the radio in. Remove them then slowly pull it out until you can disconnect the wiring harness (2 plugs i think) and antenna wire. Then it is out. The radios from the factory are pretty good if you have the one with the subwoofer. The CD function appears to be a problem though because when I got mine it did the same thing yours did. I suspect having yours fixed would not be cheap considering a decent new double din head unit with touchscreen, Bluetooth, back up cam, and navigation can be had for a little over $200 if you catch the right sale. Crutchfield or sonic electronix will include a wiring harness adaptor for your specific application at no charge. After installation it looks pretty factory. Being a tech guy this shouldn't be an issue for you. I would save your money and go that route - it is a major upgrade especially if you are on the road a lot.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

autoarcheologist

Reaction score
Ford CD changers are known for being crap. The changer in our 2006 Mustang is also bad. I just don't use CDs anymore. Figure out how to connect your phone and forget about the changer.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try the resetting procedure you read about first. Pulling the deck from dash is easy. You'll need to buy or borrow the u shaped tools that you install on both sides of dash radio. Pulling the 6 disc changer from consoles not bad either, just always disconnect - battery cable before you start.

This is a dumb question but is it both battery cables or just one of them?

Pulling the radio is easy, the trim piece is pressed in, just gently pry it off. If I remember there are 4 screws holding the radio in. Remove them then slowly pull it out until you can disconnect the wiring harness (2 plugs i think) and antenna wire. Then it is out. The radios from the factory are pretty good if you have the one with the subwoofer. The CD function appears to be a problem though because when I got mine it did the same thing yours did. I suspect having yours fixed would not be cheap considering a decent new double din head unit with touchscreen, Bluetooth, back up cam, and navigation can be had for a little over $200 if you catch the right sale. Crutchfield or sonic electronix will include a wiring harness adaptor for your specific application at no charge. After installation it looks pretty factory. Being a tech guy this shouldn't be an issue for you. I would save your money and go that route - it is a major upgrade especially if you are on the road a lot.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

I dunno about the trim, the piece of trim in mine seems to cover the radio and the area around the wheel, so that would make it hard to remove, and while yes, I could afford an aftermarket one.... well, dang, aside from being afraid I'll mess up the trim, money (don't have enough) and the rear audio controls (who needs those anyway) I can't think of any reasons to keep the original radio, IF I don't screw everything up installing it.

I was thinking of getting this one, actually, I don't need a backup camera since I have the backup sensor, and navigation is my phone's job.

Ford CD changers are known for being crap. The changer in our 2006 Mustang is also bad. I just don't use CDs anymore. Figure out how to connect your phone and forget about the changer.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I actually already have bluetooth in the car! Problem is, most of the trips I make in my car are short runs up to school to take my brother to his school, and it's just too much effort to hook my phone up for a less than 10 minute trip. That's why I like CDs, I can just turn it on and bam there's some music, since all of the radio stations around here suck.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 6 CD changer in my consoles been bullet proof for the 31/2 years I've owned my Suv. So in 2003 they don't use the u shaped tool any more for deck removal? I know they went full sized din. Is his deck like later Fords/Lincoln's, where you load the 6 CD in the dash unit?