"Thunder" 1998 Expedition Build Thread .... fixed pics!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I will buy the cats and the sub woofer wiring. Message Me.

OP
OP
MISTERgadget

MISTERgadget

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got the donor completely torn down...

EC582811-C10E-4E03-86E1-554FE5F126B5.jpg

...and then began the process of cleaning everything up and getting everything organized.

2B4DD7CA-3689-4AF1-AE34-A1EED89A0984.jpg

IMG_5132.jpg

It's deja vu all over again in taking this apart...

IMG_5175.jpg

Oh, and remember what I mentioned about the 99 making some things easier? The 99 used an airbag module mounted in the same place as the 98, so I had to remove my bracket that was welded to the floor. Promise you won't tell anyone this is how I covered the holes.

IMG_5138.jpg

...from one dash harness attempt to the next one

IMG_5343.jpg

Got the dash harness installed and everything setup. The donor has EATC so I went with everything from the donor, you can see the air sampling tube for the EATC mounted there.

788FFC64-9874-4445-8C0A-69314F1942AF.jpg

Remember what I mentioned about having access to all the bits being important? Turned out to be absolutely key. The Security module and harness changed too, and that harness plus into the dash harness/GEM, and then goes to all the doors. So I had to take everything apart, pull all the 4 of the door harnesses, and put them back in one by one. It was tedious, but at least I put new speakers in while I was there..

FE012FCE-7CE7-40A9-96CB-BFB63C0A6CE5.jpg

Another one of the "little things" I really enjoyed... was able to add a keypad with the 99's security module and door harness :)

2486F4D1-70DC-4E91-AF13-0CD2DC1AE3DF.jpg

A brand new condensor and heater core went in at the same time, so hopefully the last time I need to do this!

IMG_5350.jpg

IMG_5352.jpg

IMG_5353.jpg

Now we'll have a combo that you never got from Ford in any F150/Expediton... EATC and a Lightning cluster!

IMG_5354.jpg

First test of it all powered up showed mileage working and I could pull codes, it was telling me about everything that was unplugged under the hood! I'll call that a success for now!

IMG_5723.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
MISTERgadget

MISTERgadget

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok but... what I don’t get is ...why?

I went over it in one of the posts and it might have gotten lost a little in the whole explanation... but basically, all the wiring swap work was to be able to use a Lightning PCM and control a 4R100.

1. I got a deal on a used built 4R100 that’s normally $5000 new, and buying a E4OD built to that level would have been more expensive than updating the ecu and wiring.

2. Use a Lightning PCM - The 99+ ECUs in general and in particular the 03-04 Lightning ones are much faster than 97-98 processors, the adjustability and support for them is much better than 97-98 as well. There’s additional sensors and tables for the supercharged engine (air temp sensors before and after the blower being particularly important), and lots of tuners specializing in Lightnings with experience and files using those base calibrations.

Out of that, I got a bunch of little perks that made the extra work worthwhile too I think - able to use a Lightning instrument cluster, upgraded to auto climate control, got a door keypad, and a few other little updated bits that are nice to have.

I had the Lightning ECU and cluster on the shelf from my 03 Lightning, and after selling parts off the donor and scrapping it, I ended up with the parts off it for no cost.

OP
OP
MISTERgadget

MISTERgadget

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Next step was getting the transmission in. It's always a nerve racking how high you have to get these to clear the trans jack and the bellhousing on a 4R100. Every time I tell myself I'll buy a better trans jack, and then when it comes down to it I keep using the harbor freight cheapie :Big Laugh:

IMG_5384.jpg

Not any photos of this in progress, becuase well.. the pucker factor is high pushing the trans on with the Expy that high on stands and the trans trying to roll off and kill you. I must say I love having the matchy-matchy oil pan and trans pan

IMG_5381.jpg

The Conroy Fab transmission crossmember in Chromoly is a really nice piece too, light and frees up a lot of real estate for working on things or exhaust.

IMG_5380.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
MISTERgadget

MISTERgadget

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, in the continuing saga of "this should bolt right in" and then reality tells you no :chair:

I had the OE Aluminum driveshaft out of my Lightning also sitting on the shelf. The spec sheet says the Expedition has a 119" wheelbase and the Lightning has a 120" wheelbase... I figured that must be rounding and surely the driveshaft would fit.... laid them side by side, the Lightning one was in fact a tad longer, and I'm still telling myself "yeah but the slip yoke probably makes up for it" and tried it anyway.

IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2323.jpg

Nope, no dice. Even with the slip yoke bottomed out in the transmission (which is already a no-go as then any suspension compression would beat your trans to death), it wouldn't bolt up to the axle.

Well, time to clean up this OEM steel DS enough to be presentable for now. I wanted the lighter weight aluminum, I might still get a custom one made down the road (if it fits, it's pretty tight in there), but for now let's get it rolling.

Eagle eyed readers may have noticed the slip yoke on the Lightning driveshaft is larger. That's because the Lightning 4R100 uses the diesel spec output shaft and tail housing. My first time dabbling in u-joints, how bad could it be? Pretty messy if you're not used to it! Took the slip yoke off the Lightning DS to get it on the Expedition one.

IMG_2324.jpg

267A3D57-0DE9-4497-8274-5A2160969AE5.jpg

I wire wheeled the shaft to get it cleaned up.

8C9881A8-AD32-48E1-B345-7695251D1785.jpg

Followed that with a coat of black primer

IMG_5441.jpg

Finally, a few coats of rustoleum gray enamel

IMG_5548.jpg

I didn't get any then of pics of the new u-joints going in or of it installed, will have to take some for one of the next updates. I was pretty happy with how it came out, it looks much cleaner down there now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MISTERgadget

MISTERgadget

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those are vintage harbor freight from circa 2003... when all their stands and hoists had this awful ***** orange finish on them. They don’t build em like they used to!

OP
OP
MISTERgadget

MISTERgadget

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Next up, plumbing!

I started with the suction end of the fuel system... my original pump was not gonna cut it to feed enough fuel for all the air that Whipple can push...

EtCDUhj.jpg

A Walbro 450LPH pump went into place after some tweaking of the stock bracket. I also drilled out the wiring pass through and added a connector for 10awg wires to handle the additional draw of the larger pump.

VnzVdnL.jpg

Wanted to make sure everything was serviceable and modular like the OEM setup, and all the wiring was OEM quality, so a nice weatherproof Deutsche connector for large guage wires was used. For me, these little touches make a big difference if you're taking things apart again down the line.

IMG_6224.jpg

IMG_6226.jpg

All 10awg wire run up to the engine bay. It'll be wired to a 75 amp relay that's triggered by the stock fuel pump turn-on, keeping the inertia switch shutoff and all that functional. I also used an empty spot in the OE fusebox to power the circuit and with a larger fuse.

OP
OP
MISTERgadget

MISTERgadget

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I had everything ready to do my fuel system stuff...

90B83B5E-7CD1-46C7-AF89-69F7BCB71BC2.jpg

and then nerves set in....before I did my fuel system plumbing, I wanted to practice on something that felt a little less critical....although it's still a fire hazard so maybe it's all in my head.

Added the 5/8-18 IF to -6 AN adapters to my superduty trans cooler

IMG_6031.jpg

I cut the original steel lines just ahead of the crankshaft pulley, so I could convert them to AN hose.

IMG_6030.jpg

Then I used tube to AN adapters to convert the lines, and plumbed them into each side of the transmission cooler.

IMG_6032.jpg

IMG_6033.jpg

way better than the scrawny OEM trans cooler!

3BC2EA92-78AE-4C80-A4BF-7834D6144724.jpg